What will you be playing after Pox closes?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cinder405, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Cinder405

Cinder405 I need me some PIE!

So what will everyone be migrating to after Pox is shut down?

I play Fortnite, The Last Of Us Multiplayer, Call of Duty the newest one, FIFA.

2. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

Board games

3. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

last of us multiplayer?

never imagined people still play that.

I play what ever interests me at the time but to scratch my strategic itch I usually play board games or war hammer, I avoid most collectible games now like the plague, not really out of principle but because I hate the design of magic the gathering, and I find all other TCG's fall into one of two categories, either A) they are a clone of magic with some of it's more annoying mechanics improved if they are well made, or they are B) dead because nobody cares since they aren't a MTG clone, and while I can enjoy the games design and sing there praises it does't matter much if nobody else in my area is playing the game.

Cinder405 likes this.
  4. Firk

Firk I need me some PIE!

Nothing

fogandsteel likes this.
  5. Excalibur95

Excalibur95 I need me some PIE!

Bane Shift graphics wargames,

example harpoon is next to collect, its a radar game.

6. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

For honor, as always

guokamoli54 likes this.
  7. Poxjedi

Poxjedi I need me some PIE!

I'm still searching, nothing compares to Pox.

8. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

Still gonna play single player games and Duelyst. Possibly Battleforge, if it actually gets done. (probably the closest to poxnora in terms of strategy to tactics ratio, but a bit more fast-paced.)

Cinder405 likes this.
  9. bambino

bambino I need me some PIE!

dude, I just ordered Axis and Allies anniversary edition.
    me and my long time buds have decided to try to rekindle our nerd days and get some (phy) gaming going with A&A being first on the list. At least once a month.
    any good board games to recommend, I'm all ears,

Cinder405 and Fentum like this.
  10. Fentum

Gloomhaven
    Mage Wars
    Duel of Ages II
    Runebound (2nd edition)
    Galaxy Defenders
    City of Kings
    Advanced Civilisation
    Dice Throne

Check them all out on Board Game Geek (BGG)

11. Vash Dragneel

Vash Dragneel I need me some PIE!

Fire Emblem

12. bambino

gloomhaven? that's funny u say that,
    heh I was checking that out..all 250$ worth,,does look interesting.
    what about thunderquest or something like that? that looks good. similar as well.

has anyone played those dnd board games,,like the one "legend of drizzt"? there like 50$ on Amazon. was wondering if there fun?

but I will check out each title individually

13. poxrooster

poxrooster The Pox Chameleon

Hearthstone, but I'd like to buy Pox and rebuild it.

jeeperz2 and Cinder405 like this.
  14. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

Path of Exile & League of Legends, probably.
    Also MTG IRL. ;p

15. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

I've been enjoying Stellaris more and more lately, so probably that. League, as others have said, although I can't stand playing that for very long. Still have to finish SOMA as well, I've been putting that off for too long. Then some random stuff like Warframe, SWTOR, DOTA2, Duel Links, and Civ 5 (because let's be real, 6 was a flop).

16. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

Old school dungeons and dragons with my friends I have a level 3 human ranger who just started specializing as a beast master. I will probably start working on an elven bard next in honor of KF elven bard. I am also an old school rpg junkie. Love everything RPG from table top to console to pc( Final fantasy, Dragon Warrior, ChronoTrigger, Fable, Elder Scrolls, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Golden Sun, Baldur's Gate, Fallout series, list goes on and on.....) Might reinstall warcraft 3 see if anyone has a server running old custom game maps. Loved playing Tower defense games like YouTD, GemTD, BurbenogTD, Survival games like Werewolf Transylvania, Jurassic Park, Island Trolls, Wilderness Survival list goes on and on. This all hinges on me having any time as of right now it is summer and my career demands all my time in summer.

17. Fentum

I have all those DnD board games. They are ok as a very basic tactical game but a bit too simple and repetitive.

Gloomhaven is the best ‘fight in a Dungeon’ tactical game there is.

Thunderquest I don’t know.

You might also try

Descent 1
    Descent 2
    Sword & Sorcery
    Massive Darkness

I prefer Gloomhaven to all of those. Check BGG for lots of info.

18. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

I really regret not buying gloom haven during it's second run =/

Fentum likes this.
  19. bambino

basically this is my deal,
    as I said me and some friends trying to play old board games, since we'll be playing once a month ,prolly every other,,, my copy of A&A will prolly hold us over for some time. Mostly a 1 and done type board game is what were looking for, risk, risk variations,,nothing continuous, as it would never end.

The dungeon crawler is actually more for me and my wife to play ,maybe late night weekends, (shes feeling a bit left out,seeing me get all excited about a&a with my friends). :(
    So, the gloomhaven certainly does look kool,I like everything about it so far, although I am a bit leery about the no dice mechanic, as an old school DM, dice is all I know. I have a healthy dice collection, and knowing I wont use them is already a let down, tho not a deal breaker.
    What truly concerns me is the scope, it is massive, the set up, putting it away ,along with price tag.(worried to buy and use once) I've played plenty dnd ,but I never played these boxes sets before. I dont expect them to compare to an actual campaign, but I would like a little bit of involvement as well,. So I'm wondering if gloomhaven is the best option for entry level boxed set.
    Or would it be better to take one of the sets I mentioned? (mostly looking for a coop type game) ,shes actually a big drizzt fan, so I was thinking about that one,,but I'm worried it will be too simplistic, not much char dev.?
    Temple of elemental evil looks interesting, char progression.
    I was looking at the descent games,tho not fond of the overlord mechanic ,tho I do see they now have an app.
    So! lol
    So basically looking to dungeon crawl with my wife, dont want to be overwhelmed but at the same time want a challenge and maybe char growth.
    So is gloomhaven best option still? or should I try one of the "lighter" ones to see if we even enjoy the genre?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  20. Fentum

Ok these are all cool points.

I would not go with the DnD sets unless the Drizzt theme REALLY sells it.

Gloomhaven can be played campaign style for maximum fun, but there is a random dungeon generator for one shots. Also there are two very nice short campaigns that the author penned for the kickstarters.

Don’t worry about dice AT ALL. The card decks simulate the tension of a dice roll, but they can be tweaked such that it feels as though YOU are creating your own PERSONAL D20 as the campaign progresses. This is a VERY cool aspect and much better than, though similar to, dice.

Descent 2 is actually pretty good with the app but very very ‘gamey’ without it. Heroes often just race around ignoring enemies and going for weird positioning.

On balance, I’d definitely go with Gloomhaven. Run a short campaign using published or random scenarios.

Watch a ‘Rolling Solo’ play through of one of the Kickstarter short campaign scenarios with your wife. See if she likes it.

For an entirely different spin, late night weekends with your wife could use Legacy of Dragonholt. It’s the ONLY one of my crazy games that my wife will play. Very simple, CYOA style co-op. Works great two player. Streamlined in the extreme but gives a proper old school DnD vibe. No dice, few stats, just lots of choices.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018