Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by PoxBot, Mar 13, 2018.

1. soulmilk

soulmilk I need me some PIE!

Board Game Update from me.

I was not able to resist the temptation to back the Batman Board Game.
    Not only that, but I have also backed 3 additional Board Games.
    Crypt, because it was cheap.
    Unbroken, as I don't have any proper single player board games, and I am interested in expanding my knowledge about them.
    Darwin's Choice, which is a game about combining different animals.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/marcduer/darwins-choice-create-evolve-extinct-rethink <-- Link to it if anyone is interested.

Currently waiting for One Night Ultimate Werewolf to go on sale, as my brother have expressed wanting to play it.
    (Though looking at my budget, I should probably try to get him to buy it himself.)

I am also designing some personal Board Games to play with my Family and Friends.

No new news about the Board Game of mine that is currently being published, it's still undergoing lots of playtesting.
    The art of the game is almost finalized, hoping to be able to show it here soon.

2. soulmilk

soulmilk I need me some PIE!

3. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

and lovecraftian horrors and necromorphs in the expansions

soulmilk likes this.
  4. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

i'll keep you guys updated

soulmilk likes this.
  5. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Whale not whalin'?!

6. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

Mage Wars isn’t collectible. You start with all the spells available and in your spell book. There are a couple of proper expansions that bring new mages and new spells, but they are all ‘known’ purchases.

Academy is quite a poor relation to proper Mage Wars.

I just bought City of Kings and that is looking pretty decent.

7. Sokolov

I actually don't find that expansions improve those types of games very much, so that makes sense.

8. Sokolov

The other problem is that even when there are new mechanics, it often means you need to take out some existing ones because there just isn't enough consistency in the space otherwise if you have too many competing mechanics available.

Generally, a product like that with more than 1 or 2 expansions, you are better off just selecting the specific expansions you want to play with and using some subset of the cards in them - trying to use them all at once almost never gives you a good experience. With many of these games, players have even created "recommended" lists of which pieces from what expansions are good to use together.

9. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

mage wars had the best expansions, though the rules were often fairly short sighted and rule debates came up often =(

I miss that game, the stores stopped carrying it here

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  10. calisk

well the reason it's an issue is nobody plays it anymore, they pulled a pox nora and stopped releasing expansions in 2016.

thus I have nobody local to play with, I stopped buying the expansions after that and it's a shame because it's easily the best 1 v 1 game I've played,

11. calisk

i do run my own board game nights but mage wars is a lot like pox nora, or magic, as it's a competitive game. much like magic you build grimoires/decks you use to fight your opponent, unlike those games there is very little luck in what you play drawing any card in your grimoire you feel is fit for the current situation to cast, even gaining mana every turn like you gain nora in poxnora to cast these spells or summon your monsters.

anyway it ends up much like when you play an inexperienced opponent in pox nora, the fun with these games is playing someone of equal skill and pushing your deck to it's limits, but you don't get that facing a deck you built and piloted by someone who barely knows the rules.

also doesn't help my friends have the tactical skill of toddlers, and it's impossible to get any enjoyment from playing these types of games against them, to be quite honest my daughter is my best hope for a real opponent lol, 14 or so years and she might be a good opponent =)

12. Fentum

You can play Mage Wars on line using Vassal. It’s an old school hex war game program mostly, but I played a dozen or so games a couple of years back. All against good players.

That said, Pox is much quicker and scratches the same itch.

13. calisk

mage wars when you get optimized decks with optimized plays, is actually pretty quick. much like pox the better the players the quicker the games unless you end up in a stalemate and need to grind it out

Fentum likes this.
  14. Fentum

Yup. I always think of it more as ‘Mage Assassins’ rather than ‘Mage Wars'.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  15. calisk

appropriate name heh

Fentum likes this.
  16. Sokolov

It's a lot of fun, but just SO SLOW.

I like playing it online at boardgamearena tho, much faster. Let me know if you want to have a game sometimes, Emries plays too.

17. Fentum

Try the ORIGINAL Advanced Civilisation board game. It came before the computer game and is cracking. Takes 12+ hours and 6+ people though! Check it out on BGG

18. Sokolov

I actually think the game is more fun when everyone sucks at it. I hate getting some uberleet online who thinks he's MLG. It's more fun when you are like, I want to have Ghandi and try and make the Hanging Gardens!

19. Fentum

Try old school Advanced Civilisation .

20. Fentum

Try 8-12 hours for a proper game of Advanced Civ. it’s the daddy.