Food for thought

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nepyonisdead, Jul 7, 2018.

1. nepyonisdead

nepyonisdead I need me some PIE!

So lads there has been a story about this lad who was born with one hand ((he has a deformity)) and he grew up wanting to get into the mixed martial arts world. He has proven himself on the wrestling team and on a minor MMA fighting tourney but now he wants to head into the UFC. Dana White ((UFC CEO)) says that hed never give him a shot because the second anything happens to him the newspapers will eat him alive.

The story has been catching alot of attention and petitions have started inorder to give the man a chance, I myself think its a fool hardy attempt and that UFC shouldnt take that PR risk.

What do you think? should he be given a shot?

2. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

I think Dana's now in one of those situations where he's ****ed either way. If he does give him a shot and something bad happens, Dana gets eaten alive by the media. If he doesn't give him a shot, he gets eaten alive by the media anyway because "muh discrimination". He was royally screwed as soon as that kid decided to try out for the UFC. In the court of public opinion, you're guilty until proven innocent. And even if you are, you're still guilty.

3. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

The one handed chap should qualify on performance as per any other potential fighter.

4. nepyonisdead

Honestly my initial position was the same but if anything happens to him, the media especially in this era will eat the UFC alive and I feel like thats a huge risk , and where do you draw the line when it comes to people with handicaps.

5. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

Find another one handed man, match em up. GG WP $$$

nepyonisdead likes this.
  6. nepyonisdead

If I ever open up a business u would be my first pick to partner up with..... Got ur mind on ur money and ur money on ur mind xD

7. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

i think he should have a gauntlet run, and the final bout (if he makes it there) is televised. if he still thinks he can compete, and if the company is willing to bet on him, then it's ok

but it's not likely that they'd do that just for his sake, so eh

nepyonisdead likes this.
  8. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

since your question is do I think he should have a shot.

I don't see any reason why he should't.

from the position of the franchise owner, I don't see any negative for him.

either he does well and my franchise gets praised, or he loses and "the poor handicap guy tried his best" end of the day Dana proved himself in everywhere that mattered and it's not my responsibility to "protect" him, what the UFC needs is a proper PR team to put positive spins on it.

nepyonisdead likes this.
  9. nepyonisdead

Yup I think u got the best of both worlds with that answer, and hopefully whatever happens the sport wont suffer for it.