Sappy Thread of Remembrance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ballballer, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Poxjedi

Poxjedi I need me some PIE!

I sat here thinking about what I wanted to post. All the good conversations and times that I had with people. The days that I spent going over runes and making decks. I have some great memories of pox. I love pox. I can't express in words how frustrating to see this game sink into digital oblivion.

2. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

I have a couple of buddies who are leaving me for quite awhile going to different countries, some have gone to where ever you think the after life is. I've had a great time with them and i'll cherish our memories forever.
    We have take the saying "Here for a good time, not a long time." pretty serious

I like to think the same way about pox, this game has brought a lot of people together from way back when myspace was still a ****in thing. I remember being a little kid and thinking half my collection for a ghern tyrant was a good trade and bragging about it in game then getting my Bane Shift rocked. I was never good at this game but I never cared cause I always talked to my opponent if they seemed cool. I remember all of a sudden someone from NWO would start talking Bane Shift about how bad my game was going for me and I would actually try and then basically let them play the game for me.

Even when I joined the military I remember arguing with boozha cause he was against it so much and I thought it was hilarious. A lot of the arguments on here got pretty hilarious and the forums to me were basically mad max territory.

What i'm trying to say is, god dammit what the Firk am I going to do with all these deep elf fanatics

SPiEkY and Gnomes like this.
  3. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- I met a lot of cool people when I found this game off a banner... when I moved to a very rural place in VA and all I had was crappy internet inside and rednecks outside. Still talk to a lot of them and you as we moved to LoL and other random ass MMO's for a week. Pox... we bitter about your death but can't deny the fun... RIP

Hollar at the old squad!
    @beserkboon
    @darkpally5
    @cman2005
    @mrpenguinrox
    @sleepys
    ... plus@themotherscrubz from way back... hagnon/friskies/etc etc AND of @Gnomes my bad bud so many guilds so many homies

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    darkpally5 and Gnomes like this.
  4. Phynixe

Phynixe I need me some PIE!

Man...The memories I've had in this game...There's just way too many of them, and it causes streams of tears to trickle out of my eyes and down my cheeks, that's how much I loved this game. Even now, I wish the game were alive, I want to play it, but there's just nothing to do.

As hard as it may be to believe, Poxnora is the sole reason I became such an intellectual, grammatically aware, and an argumentative and logical/rational individual. It's the conversations I've had with the many of you, fellow players, the arguments, the fights, the discussions, the forums and the strategic/brain capacity it takes to play this game that helped me develop...I honestly don't know where I'd be without this game, or how I would've spent the majority of my free time.

I turn 20 years old in 3 hours...Can you imagine how long it's been? Even now, I still lurk around the forums. Of course, I went by a different name for a long time, but that's a story for another time; the labelling theory got to me, and it's something I wanted a fresh start from. And, I want to use this post to say that, and as much hate as I'm going to get for this, I am Dorigon. And despite whatever beef I had with anyone, I want everyone to know that I've always considered Poxnora a family of mine, no matter how dark things got between us all, no matter how badly we insulted each other...we're all mature enough to realize we did it for the sake of gloating, to show off, never to hurt one another.

I started playing Poxnora when I was just 8 years old (Believe it or not), and as any child gamer, I first picked up the Underdepths because "HAHA DEMONS ARE KEWL." I got a few friends to play it, but they couldn't handle the strategy behind the game, so they left after a month of playing. There was only one individual that stuck with me for a year and some before he forgot his account information and decided to quit entirely. Regardless, I continued playing, and eventually met a player by the name of "@drothmelu" and "@Thbigchief", who I was acquainted with in the very first guild I joined after having bought my first few packs ever for my 9th birthday. "@drothmelu" (I'm @ing him but he doesn't even play, he hasn't for many years) helped me get into the Forsaken Wastes by giving me a HUGE collection of FW Commons/Uncommons, and gave me a few rares. The time he bought his very first bundle, he gave me Deathcaster, Serkan and Xulos. Those were my first exotics ever, and that's the base I built off of.

Eventually, at the age of 14, I shifted my childish name of "beastdeath" and became "Dorigon", where I met countless of new guildmates, like @Vote Kanye 2020 (h0spy), @hawkless1, @Hylands...Hylands was an individual that really got me interested in the game again after I lost a UD Harbinger, Grimlic and countless of other exotics to a supposedly legit scam. He lent me runes I needed for a deck, as many as I needed, and as many runes as I needed in order to make my dream battlegroups. And to him, mad props.

Later into the age of 14, I finally ranked top 10, I'd dreamt of that moment...at the time, it was difficult, and I felt really accomplished. Apart from my education and sports, I never felt accomplished in anything else; it was huge for me to finally get some recognition on this game, even with all the insults coming my way, how many people hated on me for playing Skywings...I became known for it. That's all some of us desire sometimes...recognition, and I'd finally got it. Skywings were OP, but, I also managed to stomp mirror matches too, which said something about my playstyle. Eventually, I switched out of Skywings, and started playing Myx when nobody was playing them. I managed to keep top 10 with Myx and proved the majority wrong; that I didn't need Skywings to maintain my rank...but then I got bashed on for playing Myx.

After reaching top 10, I started coming on back and forth, taking short breaks here and there, but everytime I came back, I'd play for months. I got back into the top 20s, but couldn't make it back into the top 10, unfortunately. My reign stopped there. Then, I started playing Chop blocks, got back up there, and quit the game again.

I think my favourite memory ever was the first time I beat TinyDragon; granted I was playing Skywings, which made things a little easier, he was playing KF when they were also ridiculously broken, so I think it balances out. The game went on for about an hour and some, the majority of the Poxnora lobby was spectating that specific game, it felt great. I was one to always come so close to beating Tiny, and then making that one critical mistake and miscalculation that would always cost me the game...I always did it...I always had so much adrenaline in me when I faced Tiny that I was always destined to make an obvious mistake; I get greedy, I always did when I came close to beating him. I was about 15 when I first beat him, and I honestly went out to celebrate with a friend of mine after it happened...that's how much Pox always meant to me.

I still have hope for this game, and I really want it to make a comeback. Poxnora is my childhood, my development, the game I thought about when the word "game" first came to mind...the first game I came to everytime I needed to blow off some steam. No matter how inactive I've been, or how people may have forgotten me, you will always hold a place in my heart, thick and thin, even if the game goes down entirely.

Tweek516, Gnomes and Karmavore like this.
  5. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

Good read man! I think so many of us share the story of having this game help us grow into adults with a wider vocabulary and invaluable critical thinking skills, some people just didn't connect on that level. But a lot of us did.

6. Gnomes

Gnomes Forum Royalty

OMG yes friskies! He always made the best decks. Also sam3005 I think it was. But ya I was in that guild I remember them :) sleepys and darkpally and I were the SQUAD

darkpally5 and Thbigchief like this.
  7. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Do any of you remember Evoke? He was the original trick deck designer. I think he was the one who came up with BBND, and the stealth imp Dark Rising, Quicken, Draconic Benediction, Mobilization.

8. Phynixe

Beserkboon was my 2v2 Buddy.

9. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

remember double hatching season -> awaken brood -> db with a dragon skull on the board.

optional cone/bomb to cause them to all explode.

and this is when skull was 50% amp in a single relic....and everything in st had vuln fire

10. Phynixe

God...those were the days...Remember the days of being able to run two heroes of different factions in a single battlegroup? Yep. -15 HP, but sometimes, it was worth it.

11. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

yeah. i got the first player-owned darkwing swarm as a result; the thing was supposed to have released at the same time sizzlechest and the rest of those recolors did, but something went wrong in the coding because of course it did

once people realized i had it, i was barraged by offers from people for it. i think the highest number i was given was 650k credits worth from gainer's shop (i don't remember the name of it anymore), but i had a bunch of people saying things like "whatever the others are offering i'll beat it"

i tried to convince them all that i didn't want to trade it, and i guess they thought i was just being coy to drive the price up. didn't end up mattering, it was formally added to that pack-set before i'd owned it for 2 hours iirc. i was kinda peeved at that because i liked having the only one, but hey.

anyway my favorite pox memories, aside from COMPLETELY DESERVEDLY winning the shoebox tournament (kappa), are uh...

-playing a shitty fw rush deck, got the same draw on the same map three times in a row vs tiny and smacked him around each time (the two-font tar river/red clay map)

-generally hanging around the Sler chat. there was a really good crew there for a while

-people advertising for drafts when i went offline, to the tune of "dagda's not on now, everyone come draft quick"

-corpse hotfixing DB to add 5 nora after i used it at the end of a game i'd already beat him in

-lowkey Firk corpse

-rav asking me if i wanted to join the beta group, then telling me i couldn't when i said i was under 18 and i wasn't sure if it was ok.

-we're like the same age.

-typical rav

yeah i dunno. pox was most of my life for a few years. i can't remember a lot of it, but i had some good times. i think the game may be more balanced than ever in recent patches, but the community was why i stuck around as long as i did to begin with, and it's depressingly small now

MentalMoles, Tweek516 and zorbot like this.
  12. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

Pretty sure it was TCG-Bay

13. Phynixe

Poxportal, TCG Bay, it went by several names.

14. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Double excavator first turn on lost city. The end.

Hahahahaha

15. JaceDragon

JaceDragon I need me some PIE!

I remember when i first get my Dwarven King. Best day of my life.

MaruXV likes this.
  16. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

My favourite memory is finally grinding up enough gold to get myself some avenging angels from PoxPortal. Gainer then made a mistake and gave me the black ones instead of the white ones, so I traded them back in and got Fan Faire and Bowmages out this way.

17. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

Funny enough, I also got a fan faire from Gainer's shop. Koodos to him.

18. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

gainer tried to sponsor me to play drafts for him so he could get the reward runes

i didn't do that, but i did trade in most of them at some point or another. pretty sure i was the leading producer of haunting spirits for a long damn time

19. saromon50

saromon50 I need me some PIE!

I come back to the forums after what feels like years only to find the Pox is actually dying... Damn I never thought I'd get emotional over a game a rarely played... Imma miss it

20. Nite2kill

Nite2kill I need me some PIE!

While playing Pox I deployed and played in theater, when i could get a connection,
    Traded some great runes just to get my first Lich King,
    Trolled E~bay to bid on runes and traveled to many Targets to get the game cards.
    First Game Jan 11, 2008, longest time not playing - transition from SOE to DOG, other than that played just about every day for over 10 years. 17,558 games, 4.8 games a day.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018