Buying PoxNora...The (NOT SO) Final Post->Read!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bondman007, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

IMO, I am not sure there's a need for more than 3 or 4 factions in these types of games. Pox lore makes that a bit tough to do retroactively though, but I think 5 could be doable.

badgerale likes this.
  2. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

you could smash it down into 2 factions but still allow full bg bonuses if you have similar cards in there. We already have the whole deal with race synergy and etc. Do we really need a faction bonus when we can just add it to the champs themselves? Possibly just have FS champs refund some nora for champs or something like that

3. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- Bear in mind, your approach may not have been the consensus approach and perhaps a bit "aggressive" ... just saying we will reserve the right to not judge the response you get if any as "the" official stance of DOG's willingness to sell Poxnora. Nahmean?

4. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

I have money to throw around, but it's just not a sound investment. I love the game, but the most we could do is keep it forever in a state of no updates and no new content, which is what we have currently. I have minor programming experience with java, C++, java script, and php, but I guarantee you i'd have no idea where to even start with pox. You might as well let it die and we all invest into starting a pox 2.0 with sok being paid to help.

Love the game, but not worth the possible loss, and given that the average gamer has the attention span of a gnat, i'd say the market isn't too hot for a pox 2.0 right now.

I asked a while back what the price point would be, and never got an answer, i'm curious.

5. dbouya

dbouya I need me some PIE!

I agree, the codebase is probably a bit of a mess. Might not be worth that much, might not even have a copy of the old-client, which is imo the superior client.
    The art assets have value in their original formats though for sure. I imagine this is what the OP is mostly referring to as "IP". That and just the words poxnora, nora, and such. The "storyline" of poxnora isn't that interesting, so much as all the great artwork done around that story. It's just not a story based game, but it's full of amazing art, and that art is one of the reasons fans wanted to buy so many runes, owning runes just felt cool. (at least to me).

The basic gameplay concepts of nora (mana) generation, fonts (control points), timed turns, customizable "cards".... are all unownable and anyone could use, but for the most part no one has. Other games have made super duper dumbed down simple versions of poxnora (like faeria or duelyst). I was actually hoping that the might and magic miniatures early access game would be a good successor, but apparently the game sucked and it was cancelled several months ago (apparently the only good part of the game was the customization and painting of your dudes, actual gameplay was apparently awful, and ubisoft kind of hates their MM ip).

6. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

Sure, agreed. However, IF people want to keep POX NORA the name brand alive, then the ONLY way to do that is through DOG. If they refuse to sell it, so be it. This attempt hasn't just been some half-hearted attempt, I have put time and effort into this. Right now, the poll question in this thread has the majority of folks wanting us to buy the IP and domain and then write Pox from the ground up (Pox Nora 2 more-than-likely). The ONLY way for a Pox Nora 2 (not a clone, but a true spin off or squeal with the same name) is to purchase the rights to Pox. Otherwise it will be a clone which some people thinks will survive in this brutal gaming world of ours. I do not. I think Pox is unique. IMO what makes it special is the art and the sprites and gameplay. Without that I don't see a game like this surviving out of beta. If you don't like my approach, saddle up Big 'en, let's see what you can do! ;)

7. Bondman007

As a quick note, the main reason for an "aggressive approach" is because of the following reasons (@calisk and I had a large discussion about this here)
    1) DOG is disbanded according to Vesuvius at Space Wars
    2) Gedden himself is no longer part of DOG and abandoned DOG, Pox, and Space Wars project.
    3) If 1 & 2 are true, then the Pox server and forums are ticking down and if something doesn't change will end in a simple "server not found, 404 error"
    4) After everything shuts down (if we don't relocate the community) it will be virtually impossible to keep the community together.

These are the reasons I have pursued this with much haste and urgency.
    Bond

Fentum likes this.
  8. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

As for keeping the community together, we could always use reddit.com/r/poxnora to communicate.

9. poxrooster

poxrooster The Pox Chameleon

If #2 is as you say, then why are you expecting a response from DOG?

Look DOG's out. The previous Co-Founder and CMO of DOG stated her business dealings with DOG ended in Feb 2018. This means that, if she does respond to you, she'd not be representing DOG. It'd be better if you contacted her through her other company in LA.

I think you're going about this the wrong way. You've several coders here who have volunteered to put pieces of the puzzle together for free. What you should do is . . .
    1. Create a working project list with real prices and target dates
    2. Get a go-fund-me started that targets the total startup cost
    3. Create a plan to keep it going as a free to play game
    I've already started some of this, so if you want help, let me know, and I'll guide you through it. Let's get Pox 2.0 going but not call it Pox 2.0.

Call it Nora Wars.

hfok likes this.
  10. soulmilk

soulmilk I need me some PIE!

If we combined the factions, this is what makes sense to me.
    SP/SL The Earth Faction.
    UD/FW The Evil Faction.
    IS/ST The Northern Faction.
    KF/FS The Nature Faction.

I also agree with Meatman about having 2 factions, though we would need to redesign a lot for that.

Though I don't really feel we need to lessen the factions, I like how it is right now, but I am not opposed to change.

hfok, Thbigchief and Varthas like this.
  11. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

Personally I like 5 factions. I think the way to base the factions could go:

Damage: SL/SP renamed shattered lands
    Resilience: IS/ST renamed Northern Stronghold or something.
    Speed: KF
    Nora: FS
    Cooldown: FW/UD renamed Forsaken

It would mean rethinking how factions play, and some lore rework.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  12. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

If you guys are talking about building a game from the ground up that is based on incremental expansion, talking about how the factions would be organized is probably the least important design decision you can make.

13. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

This is, imo, what we should be focusing on if we're going to talk about building a second poxnora. A game without a playerbase is not worth making. Pox Nora currently has a small player base, but if you ask anyone here why they are still here, it's because there is no other game like it. Building another game that's like Pox Nora should get you the current player base, but that's not enough to sustain a project. Take a look at the closest games (failed or thriving) and research what is/isn't contributing to their success, can we draw on those lessons to make the game more attractive to a new player while maintaining its niche?

How important are the following things for building a playerbase? Which decisions do we need to prioritize?:

Advertising the game.
    Paid advertisements?
    Facebook, twitter, popular forums, gaming websites?
    During development?
    Now?
    After release?​
    Steam?
    Home website?
    Growing a population of players who do not spend money.
    How much of the game is available without spending any money?
    How often does a "free" player encounter a "paying" player and how fun is the encounter for both parties?
    How does a player acclimatize to complexity?
    How important is art/lore/story?
    Growing a population of players who do spend money.
    Why should a player spend money?
    More game types?
    Faster acquisition of same content?
    Content authorization?
    More success?
    Loyalty/sunk-cost?
    Prestige/conspicuous consumption?​

Making the core feedback loop more fun.
    What mechanisms do other games have that make the game more fun?
    How important are graphics/music/sound design?
    Should certain actions/moves have more "crunch" (eg. should a 20 damage attack feel different from a 10 damage attack)?
    How often should a "crunchy" event happen?​
    Are faster or slower games more rewarding?
    (How) do we encourage comebacks and/or reversals?
    When does a "winning" turn occur relative to the game's end?
    (How) do we make the acquisition/deckbuilding aspect more fun?
    (How) does the system reward innovation?
    Ensuring paying players stay.
    Steady releases of paid content?
    Steady releases of free content?
    Exploration of existing content?
    How much content should be "competitively viable"?
    How important is "competitive viability" to this exploration?
    How does the system encourage exploration?
    Rewarding more successful players
    Prestige/Skins?
    In-game advantages?
    More free stuff than less successful players?
    Rewarding less successful players
    How fun is it to lose?
    How hard is it for a less successful player to pull off an upset?
    How do we keep less successful players from being fodder?
    How does the game help less successful players become more successful players?​

Tweek516, xaznsoulx and Gnomes like this.
  14. poxrooster

Sorry, but I don't agree with this idea. While your approach is very detailed, this is not a business endeavor. It's a community endeavor. You don't build community around business. It has to be a love for the game, a simpler approach. If this endeavor tries to compete as a business, it'll fall before it starts.

15. Bondman007

I have gone through the channels I have found. My whole endeavor has been about trying to obtain the IP, name, and domain of Pox Nora because it does have a reputation and history.

Where did you read a statement from the co-founder and CMO?

To your points 1, 2, & 3. I have little interest in any of those. Truthfully, IMO, if we don't name it Pox somehow I don't see it being successful. All that being said, I am not a programmer, marketer, or designer.

However, if "Nora Wars" is well done, then I would consider supporting it. Keep in mind, though, Gedden tried to make Void Rim (a space version of Pox) and it was an UTTER failure.
    So I am skeptical at best. I have supported Void Rim, Clash of Heroes (or whatever the heck the name of that failed Pox clone with the mines was marketed by Hawkfain), and other such projects and NONE of them have succeeded.

16. Bondman007

And I disagree with you. I believe you have to have BOTH ideas working in concert or your fan-dom game will never get off the ground.

17. poxrooster

So you know.

Attached Files:

18. Bondman007

Thanks. Which translates to DOG having been disbanded for quiet a while. Wow. Amazing this game is even running then...

19. poxrooster

I PM'd you the old CMO's current contact information.

Bondman007 likes this.
  20. Bondman007

I'll give her a call and see what she says...