Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by PoxBot, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

8-12 for six players. It’s a full weekend game. Drinking, chatting, playing

2. soulmilk

soulmilk I need me some PIE!

Played some Board Games with my little sister and her boyfriend earlier this week.
    We first played Karmaka. It was the first time for all of us to play it. (Including me)
    Both my little sister and her boyfriend said they had tons of fun with it.
    My little sister won, but it was a close game. (She lucked out by basically only drawing blue cards during her last life.)
    I love the karma aspect of the game, where if you do something bad against another played, it might (and likely will) come back and bite you in a different life.
    I highly recommend this game.

Then we played Skip-Bo again.
    Not the biggest fan of this game myself and neither is my little sister's boyfriend, however my little sister adore it.
    My little sister luck combo'ed off and easily won, like every other time we have played it.
    The game is 95% luck and 5% skill. I don't recommend it unless you are playing with young and/or older family.

Then we played Settlers of Catan.
    It's been gathering dust ever since I bought it around half a year ago, this would be my first time playing it.
    My little sister had long said she disliked this game from watching others play it.
    When my little sister's boyfriend learned I have never played it, he guilt trip convinced my little sister to play it.
    To everyone's surprise, my little sister loved it!
    Everyone was going with their own different strategies, my little sister's boyfriend got in a big early lead, so we stopped trading with him, making it hard for him to get the last 2 points he needed.
    Then my little sister suddenly started getting points after points and ended up winning.
    There are so many choices, different strategies, negotiations, good kind of luck that there were never dull moments.
    I highly recommend this great game, though I don't think you need me to tell you that.

I also learned that my little sister might secretly be a mastermind at board games, as she won every single one we played.

Vash Dragneel, Geressen and Fentum like this.
  3. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

You guys need to play Ascension

soulmilk likes this.
  4. soulmilk

Played it on the app maybe a slightly itsy bitsy tiny minuscule bit WAY TOO MUCH!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  5. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I play Ascension! Let's get connected :D

6. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

Played a Lovecraftian board game for the first time. Didn't expect it to be so much fun! We spent all night trying to prevent Azathoth from destroying us. I think it was called Arkham: Call of Ctulhu (a friend brought it.) What other games would guys suggest to play to get into all this stuff? cause this is definitely something that I would enjoy for some time.

7. Fentum

Arkham Horror
    Eldritch Horror
    Mansions of Madness 2
    Call of Cthulu

8. Alakhami

It doesn't necessarily have to be Lovecraftian, just with the same RPG feeling.

9. Fentum

Runebound 2
    Shadows of malice
    Dungeon degenerates
    Gloomhaven
    Descent 2
    Galaxy defenders

10. Alakhami

it was more the whole way it was arranged. cooperative elements were definitely fun but I liked mostly how you could build your character and acculumate different stuff like equips, spells etc. and the way that you used stats too. basically, as long I can pick from a wide array of characters and build him up over the game, it should be cool for me.

11. Fentum

Try any of the games I listed.

Particularly Runebound for a grand scale adventure and Gloomhaven for a tactical fight in a dungeon.

Shadows of Malice is also a grand adventure but hard to find.

Dungeon Degenerates also good but with a marmite aesthetic.

12. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

betrayal at the house on the hill is a good one Gutsa, for the lovecraftian feeling.

13. Sokolov

I really dislike the parts it comes with. Or at least the version I have. You basically have to use an app instead because the markers don't stay and get knocked off super easily.

Game itself is fun though :)

MaruXV likes this.
  14. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

My main issue with Betrayal at House on the Hill is that all my room cards warped. It's hard to keep the pieces on the rooms when each card is an arch.

MaruXV likes this.
  15. Sokolov

upload_2018-8-6_23-9-18.png

Ended with 23 constructs :D

(Also, add me, people!)

soulmilk likes this.
  16. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

man, emries is a name I havn't heard in a very long time.

17. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

Trying out Ascension. It's fun. Working my way up through the various DLC rather than trying to learn it all at once. A few of the 'promos' seem massively OP but haven't really tried them all yet. Also either Im a card game genius or this AI is lacking a bit

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  18. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

hrm, seems the AI performs quite differently depending on what dlc youre using. imo those commanders are a rune sink for the ai. don't really see a big pay off for focusing on them. also it seems that the more dlc you use, the more diluted the construct counters are, and so focusing on constructs tend to be a safer bet, but the ai doesn't exploit this very often. haven't tried multiplayer yet, is there a standard dlc load out for mp or does everyone play different stuff?

19. soulmilk

Played Massive Darkness over webcam with my fiancée yesterday.
    It worked out very well and we both enjoyed it a lot.
    I set up the webcam to see the whole board and used facebook cam via phone to show details and such.
    There were many times we faced situations where we thought we would most likely die, however my fiancée had some amazing rolls and killed the hardest monsters with ease.
    We set it up so the last room was a trap that spawned 3 Big Roaming Monsters at once, however we easily defeated them all and won the game.
    We are thinking of playing through it a few more times with normal rules before maybe removing the transformation rule to make it harder.
    Overall, we had a blast!
    (Also, I need to make some custom inserts for the game as having too many different boxes hurt my back a lot.)

20. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

he seemed the type to be into that