How about getting Pox on blockchain?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Feriss, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Feriss

Feriss The King of Potatoes

Hi everybody,

this is probably my first post on these forums but i'v been with the game since 2008 and i definitely spent a few hundred hours playing or just sitting in the Trader market and trading DKs and LKs. I don't have much time lately so i'm not active but i visit the forums from time to time to know what's going on.

And lately it's mostly about how Pox is dying etc. which bothers me because i really love it.

I'm a software developer and i work in a software development company. We do very wide range of thing - from apps for banks to our own startups. Recently we are trying to focus on blockchain things because that's where a shitload of money and fun is currently.

I don't know how much you know about blockchain and smart contracts but it's starting to be a great platform for various applications. At first there were mostly some nerdy things, also lotteries etc., but now it's games and collectibles and fintech. You might have heard about CryptoKitties - that's a blockchain collectible "game". Collectibles naturally fit on blockchain because it guarantees that a) the player is the only true owner of collectibles and they can't be taken from him b) the player can trade with his collectibles freely anyhow as he wishes. Look at opensea.io - it's third party app where it's possible to trade collectiblees from various games and other blockchain assets.

So it's just an idea which came on my mind today - but what if Pox also migrated to blockchain? It would be a great fit! Pox has a great, stunning artworks and lore. Just look at the various other games at opensea - they are nowhere compared to Pox. This definitelly catches your eyes. Pox has also a great gameplay so it also can attract more skilled players. Most of current games on blockchain don't have that yet, they are created blockchain-first which means they are very simple right now.

I also think it could be very interesting for a lot of blockchain investors. That could get Pox enough money to finance the transition, fixing the client, and a lot more. For investors it's also great that Pox already has some proved history.

I don't know what's the current situation with the DOG but whoever controls the game think about it for a minute please. It could definitely resurrect it into a profitable thing again. Feel free to reach me here or on [email protected] if you would like to know anything more. I could dedicate some free time for consulting/developing(although i'm mostly a Ruby/JS/Web developer) or anything which would help Pox for free - i really don't want it to shut down. If you would take it seriously i could also try to get you in contact with my more business oriented colleagues which could help with the business side and contacts to investors.

Just my 2 cents. Have a nice day!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    aseryen, Woffleet and xaznsoulx like this.
  2. xaznsoulx

xaznsoulx Supreme Dream Team 夢想 隊

Why not present a Pox portfolio to your superiors to see if they are interested in investing?

3. Feriss

will do

4. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

You have your cart WAY in front of your horse. For two months I have been trying to contact the owners of Pox Nora TO NO AVAIL. There is currently NO WAY to develop this game at all. It is the property of Desert Owl Games and until the community can get ahold of the IP what you are proposing is a complete and utter waste of time.
    Now, that being said, guys like @Capitulator and @LoganMkv are working on Pox clones which would absolutely fit into what you are proposing.
    But for now, Pox is a dead horse.

5. xaznsoulx

The problem is that no one will take us serious due to bogus claims in the past. I already spoke to Senshu and they want at least one million before they will even come to the negotiation table. We have a diehard community but aren't united enough to meet in an actual room with lawyers and whatnot.

6. xaznsoulx

However an actual company like the one Feris works for actually has credibility and the funds needed to make this happen. They are also highly compatible according to him.

7. Bondman007

If that's true that 1 mil is their STARTING place, I'm out. I would have to think HARD to consider giving them 100k! Much less 1 mil

Fentum likes this.
  8. Feriss

Well it was just an idea i got while walking a dog. I can ask my superiors what they think about such venture. It doesn't hurt anybody i think.

9. Bondman007

Pointless bro, tracking DOG down is nearly impossible unless you stalkers can come up with alternate means of getting SOMEONE with authority to communicate with you.
    And for the record, I am assuming @Senshu has been unemployed from DOG for at least 7 months. Therefore, any news he has would have, in theory, would be outdated.

10. Bondman007

Hey man, go for it... there is just no legal way atm to get anything done for the actual Pox Nora game. The owners are MIA.

11. xaznsoulx

I'd personally fly out to Arizona and talk to them if they still had an office.

12. Bondman007

well, DOG owners LIVE in Arizona, and most are still in Tucson, however, I don't think going by the office will do you any good! ;)

13. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

lol that is absolutely ridiculous for a dying desolate game.

14. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I am not saying anything specific about the numbers, but you have to recognize that "for a dying desolate game" isn't really the point.

When you talk about IP, the value is not in what is currently being done with it, but what you get by using the IP.

For example, (and this is just an illustration, I am not making any comparisons) Big Trouble in Little China hasn't been on anyone's radar for a long time. From the perspective of what it currently is, you could call it a "dead" movie. But the fact is that if you say you are making a sequel, people pay attention.

So in order to evaluate the worth of the Pox IP, it's not really about how many players it currently has, but whether the art/lore/name has any value when applied to a new (whether it is a sequel, clone, spin-off, etc.) product.

~

It's ultimately fairly subjective though, and also depends on what you want to do with a particular IP.

So if you are looking to purchase full rights to the entire IP, yea, it's going to be expensive since it means from that point you control it and can make movies, books, games, doormats, and even license it away yourself (or sell it to someone else down the line). And it's a purchase, so there's no time limit.

But if you are looking to just license the IP for one product on one platform (say, a strategy game for mobile), then it's going to be a very different number. These types of deals also usually have a time limit as well (this is why sometimes games just get delisted or disappear completely, it's not always because the developers WANTED to shut it down, sometimes it's because the licensing deal ran out and they have no legal way to keep it up).

Remember when Disney acquired Lucasfilm? Most of that $4.05 billion was probably just for the Star Wars IP. But it would have cost much less if Disney just wanted to license it to make a mobile game.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    xaznsoulx, Fentum and Karmavore like this.
  15. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

Shoutout to an absolutely horrendous(but like.. in a good way..) movie that still after many, many years of collecting cobwebs is somehow the best film to watch when you're drunk.

16. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

Big Trouble in Little China just came out as a board game.

Who would have thought it?

I wonder how much THEY paid!

17. haroldkin

haroldkin I need me some PIE!

Sadly, Pox has nowhere near the popularity or following to compare with either Big Trouble in Little China or Lucasfilm. That would be a suitable comparison for Fallout. Put into that sort of context, I'd say Pox might fall somewhere between Krull and Ice Pirates. Yes, Pox has become that obscure. Noone I personally know has ever played or even heard of Pox. $50k may seem low for those who developed the game, but $1million is unrealistic for what is essentially an extreme niche of the current gaming market. For that kind of money, it would certainly make much better sense to simply begin anew.

I would love to see a continuation of the Pox Nora lore. But the franchise needs a hard reboot. Fresh new client. New sprites. Active guild interaction. A broad mix of daily challenges. Etc, Etc. The significance of carrying the existing franchise forward would only matter to a few hundred to perhaps a couple thousand people. As such, any successful Pox 2 would be starting at essentially the same place regardless whether the IP was carried forward or recreated from scratch. It is the concept of the gameplay that has the most value.

Bondman007 likes this.
  18. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Of course they are not valid comparisons in that sense, and not even in the same industry.

My point with Big Trouble in Little China was to illustrate that the value of an IP is not inherent in how many people are talking about it at that time.

While with Lucasfilm it was to say that the $4.05 billion number only makes sense if you OWNED the IP after, and obviously would not make sense if it was a single game licensing deal.

19. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

[​IMG]

- Ok... now I'm ready to invest in IP's. tell me more *coolstorybob*

Gnomes likes this.
  20. Bondman007

I think what I would shoot for with this knowledge in my pocket is simply a licencing deal. Even if the community could/would raise $1mil there's no way I would risk that type of capital JUST TO PURCHASE THE IP! That would not even include ANY development cost. I think its far more feasible to license. However, with DOG's silence anyway, at this stage a clone is looking more realistic.

Fentum likes this.