It would be nice if...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Poxjedi, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Poxjedi

Poxjedi I need me some PIE!

Someone talked more to us about what's happening & how things will unfold from this point going forward.

Gainer comment "I can't save Pox nor do I have any interest in doing so" really hurt.

Without that comment being said I could blissfully go along pretending something constructive or positive was happening behind the scenes. I understand that you might be burnt out on Pox, but there are a lot of people out there who really love the game. I've played for years. I've spent a bucket of money on Pox. It is one of the best, in-depth online turn-based strategy games ever. It sucks to know that you guys see it like a used condom to discard. I simply do not understand how you could have such an established product & have no interest in improving it. You guys put all this time, effort and energy in to making a great game, establishing a loyal fan base & then say ehhhh, f it, let's go do something else.

Ill I'm asking is for a little more communication. How you act now will determine how your fans respond to your future projects. I dont think it's asking a lot, communicate with us.

End ramblings of a pox fan.

2. rutslane

rutslane The King of Potatoes

Do you have any idea on how companies work?

Most likely the behind the scenes story that you are asking for is this:
    *reasons why Pox died -- > does it make sense to start planning for a spin-off, sequel and make a new modern game.

The decision is made by shareholders/owners or some other form of company leadership.

The fact that I came here after several years and see some die-hard Pox fans try to "buy" the game is cute: I think the main initiative organizer (Bondman) said somewhere that if the company asks for more than 100k, then he is out.

The reason the company is not contacting you (the existing playerbase) is that you have no business in making the decision that needs to be made. Economically speaking, your incentives are not aligned properly to make the decision, you are biased and want the game to continue no matter what.

Let the company figure things out: they will try to make the decision that is best for them, whether you like it or not.

3. Poxjedi

I agree with everything you said, but I also don't think it's unreasonable to ask for the occasional update.

4. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

This "company" you're talking about doesn't even exist anymore bro. DOG is completely disbanded, split up into innumerable constituent parts all trying to play hot potato with Pox because no one wants the responsibility of cleaning up the mess. The so-called owners can't even be contacted in any meaningful way. 90% of what's left of DOG won't even acknowledge Pox's existence, and the 10% that do just give us the runaround. What kind of company would handle their product in such a way? Hell, I'd say 100K is STILL far too generous for this dead horse of a game.

nepyonisdead likes this.
  5. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

yep, I'm honestly still baffled on how these forums still exist and the game is still running.

the slightest hiccup in operations has literally nobody left to fix it...

I assume somebody out their is collecting the cash from payments, i.e if a random person shows up and buys a pack somebody is taking that money and running....wish we could find out who that is with evidence

Anotherblackman likes this.
  6. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

There is NO WAY to fix it. The company, DOG, refuses to contact a player/fan base that WANTS to continue their product (either as the current product or even as a licensed sequel). At this stage DOG KNOWS we are trying to communicate with them and it's THEM that refuses. With that being said, holmes, there IS NO FIX. RIP Pox.

There are independent programmers here that are working on a spiritual successor but it will not be Pox. Pox is completely doomed unless someone from DOG finally rears their head and works out a deal with us.
    All of my behind the scenes stuff has ended in complete firewalls. I have recruited the assistance of @Sokolov and others to try and find a way to get Gedden's attention or any of the other DOG people and we have gotten nothing. My final summary of this mess is that they are potentially being sued from both Sony AND Space Wars for taking their money and then abandoning their projects. If that's the case they have ZERO incentive to ever do anything with Pox and makes complete sense why they would abandon DOG since they can't be sued personally since DOG is a LLC (although the company could be sued).

Enjoy it while you can, there WILL BE a server 404 error sometime in the foreseeable future...

And for the record, I STILL detest your forum avatar...

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  7. Poxjedi

I took a break from playing for a while, but now I'm back and have been having a great time playing. To me, Pox is like Ultima Online, one of those great online games that will/should never go away. The intention of my post was to say that I really love the game. I have over 15,000 games played. I was simply hoping to see a little more communication from whoever has the ability to make decisions. To whoever that is, I want them to know that I appreciate pox & I hope they keep it going.

lol, you don't like my avatar! Let's play best out of 5 games and the winner gets to pick the other person forum avatar for a month. :p

8. JaceDragon

JaceDragon I need me some PIE!

When and where did he say that?

9. Poxjedi

Buying PoxNora Sept. 12th UPDATE!! Page 7 comment 139

10. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

i'm just bummed out that I held onto my collection this entire time when I should of been selling it

but I had too much hope I guess, still hope this pox 2 thing happens I guess though

11. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

meh all things the same I feel like watching my runes burn with the servers is the best thing for me.

a lot of memories from years past tied up in my runes, call it sentimental but i'd rather not think about anyone else using them.

SPiEkY likes this.
  12. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

The game has more value to the owners as a write off than it would to anyone trying to buy it.

13. fogandsteel

fogandsteel I need me some PIE!

Can someone clear up a question about the servers. Doesn't Pox being played on PS4 require the owners of Pox to keep servers running until the owners of PS4 decide they no longer want Pox on their platform? @Sokolov And how long that may be (at least a guess)?

14. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I have no idea what the legalities of that are in this specific instance. But generally, the TOS/EULA of digital products is that you technically do not "own" the content thus it can theoretically be revoked at any time. This is a legal grey area though.

15. fogandsteel

fogandsteel I need me some PIE!

If some PS4 players spent decent cash (or any amount, for that matter) on Pox runes, and suddenly servers go down, wouldn't it create a bad PR problem for PS4 franchise? Or how does it work?
    (Of course, it is probably not an issue if none of them bought anything.) Any PS4 players here?

16. Sokolov

Sure, there's always PR ramifications with any kind of a shutdown. But legally speaking it's generally not expected that you keep servers up forever.

This is the same for any digital content, not just Pox and not just on PS4.

You can read about a lawsuit against EA for shutting down servers "too early" here:

https://www.leagle.com/decision/infdco20150324f39

TL;DR: EA asked for arbitration, judge granted it, so we'll never know what the result of that was. But either way, the lawsuit had no lasting ramifications as it was dismissed.

fogandsteel likes this.
  17. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Who would have known climbing in bed with Sony would Firk them over.....

Also lawyers ruin everything good in this world

18. Sokolov

Incidentally, it's also unlikely DOG is being sued for several reasons:
    1. It's not like there is much to get, even if they won. DOG is not sitting on a pile of cash or other liquid assets.

2. Work for Hire type contracts are usually structured in such a way that protects both parties. For the client, payment is not made unless milestones deliverables are approved - this ensures that no one gets to run away with the money and you only really pay for work completed. And for the developer, this is also good because it usually means more fixed deliverables and changes to the milestone requirements require adjustments of future milestones and expected payments, and they can stop work if a milestone payment is not received (without losing any previous payment).

If such a contract was executed as "Here's a million bucks, make me this game" then both sides would be in a potential bind, with the client constantly being concerned they won't finish and just take off with the money, and the developer being afraid the client will constantly change requirements and feature bloat. Of course, it's not a perfect system, and disputes can still occur, but there's usually not a bunch of money or work unaccounted for.

3. With the PS4/Sony thing specifically, there's theoretically an argument to be made that the client isn't up to snuff, but they also approved it, so it's unlikely that they can now turn around and say it's not good enough, at least from a legal perspective.

19. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Would you ever honestly be interested in doing a pox 2, or do you kinda just wanna do your own thing now ?

20. nivekflakes

nivekflakes I need me some PIE!

Do you have any ideas on how much longer the servers will run? I'm kinda surprised they have run this long.