Buying PoxNora...The (NOT SO) Final Post->Read!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bondman007, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

How far can this be technically pushed? Is it possible to just recolor things and change sprite arts slightly away from original? Or would that infringe on the copyright laws?
    Would be cool if we could just take existing sprites and edit them a bit to our liking..

2. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

That sounds like ‘passing off’. It’s a breach of trademark

3. Capitulator

Capitulator I need me some PIE!

I've looked into it a bit and that's definitely infringing. Anything that starts from part of the original sprite will be a derivative work and so counts as copying.

If you reproduce the sprites from scratch then it seems to be down to interpretation. If you attempted to copy the original, then you still infringe. If you just make your own art that looks similar (but not *too* similar) it's probably ok.

4. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

Yeah seems to be a lot of legal blah blah at the end of the day.. hard to do anything to similar so it’s best just to start from scratch. Sucks they’d be able to sue when they’re just dumping everything into the wasteland of the internet 404...

5. polltroy

polltroy I need me some PIE!

I had an idea for this game for years. I know some of you guys always thought my ideas were wrong about game. But in retroperspective... it seems game kind of died because of same reasons I quit. And i keep coming back once per few months or so hoping something happened. Sadly it never did. :(

Anyway my idea could be for DOG or for a new group of players/investors. I could even be part of it somehow (but I dont have alot of time). The idea i will present in a separate thread. Its for PoxLITE. That is kind of going back to basics. Redo all but do it right. And get the community to hang in and reinvest etc.

EDIT: now i read the whole thread and seems DOG is gone so idea is impossible unless someone can come in contact with lawyers doing liquidation?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    fogandsteel likes this.
  6. fogandsteel

fogandsteel I need me some PIE!

I agree with the idea that for POX to have a wider appeal, it has to become simpler. As it is, the game is too complex for an average gamer.
    (Of course, a lot of complexity comes from having many expansions as the number of possible combinations of 30 runes increases exponentially as the number of expansions grows.
    If I understand correctly, the MTG deals with this problem by restricting the number of expansions that you can draw cards from for each year's tournaments.)

7. polltroy

The fact that game is still up, servers still up etc, should it not mean that someone cares about pox to pay for all this? And if someone does it could mean someone thinks it can be sold or rescued somehow? Maybe its not over, just some kind of pause waiting for someone to take over again?

8. polltroy

Maybe someone could take over game and just pay for servers and then revind the PS4 update. Could be really cheap solution. That way the game could be playable again. I just tried to play a match. The current launcher takes away the joy. Its like it feels like all animations whole game is in slow motion. And it makes you annoyed and sad when playing. Plus the chat was one of the main parts of the game...

9. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

Here's the short answer: No...

Here's the details... Just because the servers are up and the domain is around doesn't mean much at all really. According to @Sokolov and others who know a lot more than I on how all this virtual stuff works, basically you "lease" the domain and server time. Once the "lease" is up it has to be renewed or else you lose one or the other or potentially both. We have no idea if either will "auto renew" or if anyone will pay to have them continue. All we know as a semi-fact is that apparently on
    October 2019 that PoxNora will lose its domain unless it's renewed. If its not renewed, PoxNora.com will lead to server 404 error. Domain not found... So technically, yes, they will run but no, they will shut down if not renewed.

Karmavore likes this.
  10. polltroy

Is it correct everyone at DOG including @Sokolov was fired and now company is under liquidation? If not I dont see why it would not be possible to make some liscense deal with them about a PoxLITE version or even a Kickstarter just to pay for some server time for next 10 years or so. And maybe rewind the game to how it was PRE PS4... just upload old backups. And then keep it like that until someone decides to do something with it. Camt hurt DOG cant hurt liquidation value. Should be win win easy deal.

11. polltroy

and value of pox cant be alot... took this from google. someone should pay for a complete bysiness report:

"Desert Owl Games, LLC is a privately held company in Tucson, AZ and is a Single Location business.

Own This Business?
    Categorized under Video Games. Our records show it was established in 2011 and incorporated in AZ. Current estimates show this company has an annual revenue of $134315 and employs a staff of approximately 2."

12. Baalzamon

Baalzamon I need me some PIE!

They would sue you only if you make money off of them. Companies generally look the other way until someone makes money on their property.

13. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Sokolov isn't an employee, he's an independent contractor.

14. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

No. The company is not in liquidation. That would mean they filed for bankruptcy and the assets are being sold off.

15. Bondman007

No, its basically been abandoned. There may be someone that takes enough time to keep the LLC license alive and keep the game going. We don't know because DOG won't respond or answer anything we ask. Therefore, we have no clue. Their company will only be dissolved when their LLC license expires. In NC, its annually in April. I have no idea when Arizona's file date is. But that is relatively cheap (@ $200) so again it may be worth it to them to pay it and move on.
    But honestly, until someone from DOG responds with anything meaningful we have no clue. You can't license something without the owning company's consent, be it abandoned or not... And if you use their product without license and make a fat profit, they will find out about it and then sue you for everything you've ever made on it. Welcome to life, law, and business...

16. Sokolov

Arizona LLCs have no annual fees nor reporting/renewal requirements.

And even if it did, the companies being paid to host servers/domains don't care if the business is valid as long as they get paid.

17. Bondman007

Wow, great benefit for LLC's in Arizona then! Shows how greedy and backwards NC is... :eek:
    And true on the 2nd part. But he was inquiring if the company had been liquidated which ultimately "may" affect the game if no one indeed paid said fees...

18. Sokolov

Aside:

Some websites I made in the 90s are still hosted, even tho I haven't paid for them 2 decades. Internet stuff is weird.

Fentum and Bondman007 like this.
  19. polltroy

@Sokolov But did you try to talk to them? To understand whats going on. Obviously you should have some communication channels as qn (ex) contractor? If company is not in liquidation, it means if project is just abandonned prob they (the owners) could be open to some liscense agreement on a "LITE" version to keep it alive. It would preserve whatever value is left if they have some kind of dreams for getting something back in the future. I could imagine them not responsing could be either thei just are tired and gave up or they try to sell it somehow to someone big. Either way if they abandonned it, it means no emotional attachment so they could agree to make some deal if simple enough and no risk to them.

20. Sokolov

You honestly vastly underestimate the complexities and legalities involved in these types of things while also making a lot of assumptions. There's a lot we simply don't know about what DOG might or might not be doing or willing to do.