Whispers of the mind

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nizzer11, May 9, 2014.

1. Nizzer11

Nizzer11 Well-Known Member

I haven't played Pox in over six months. The revamp has me fairly excited. I know the devs are focusing on champs for the release. I'd like to make one suggestion for a spell that badly needs to be addressed.

Whispers of the mind is extremely OP. There is no counter play to the spell at all. For 30 nora an already efficient faction can shut a champ down for one turn. This spell often leads to a loss due to the power of removing all ap and causing distracted and a miss from a champ.

The spell needs an extensive fix. Here are several suggestions that could fix the rune.

1. Let an opponent see it being cast. Allow it to be cleansed. At least this way to proc the ability you could attempt to do it in a way that doesn't end up with a dead champ and a lost game the following turn.

2. Remove the ap removing effect from the spell. The champ simply misses an attack and is distracted.

The spell also needs a duration.

Please fix this. It's one of the reasons I left pox in the first place. I'm not sure how the SP meta always avoids the nerf bat. At this point SP needs a nerf club.

2. BansheeX

BansheeX I need me some PIE!

This and everything else is being looked at in the revamp.
    Try to take a deep breath and be patient :)

3. Nizzer11

Really? I haven't read anywhere they were addressing anything but champs. Have they said they are fixing spells relics and equips?

4. Vorian

Vorian I need me some PIE!

Well it needs to cost 40 nora, but thinking about it, its one missed attack and loss of ap not three missed attacks like the st spell.

5. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

Domichasm is MUCH worst... There are some broken mechanics for every faction, but they are planning a big balance patch that would literally nerf every champion and from there, they can start twicking everything else.

6. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

I echo this post.
    Whisper has been pretty OP since release, and people have been saying so for a while now.
    I´m just sad nobody has said anything about non champ runes.

7. Nizzer11

The ST spell doesn't leave your champ hanging in the wind to be easily picked off next turn.

Domichasm requires a chasum. Not saying it isn't op but there are counters to domichasum.

If it wasn't hidden it would be fine for its cost. As it is now its far better than sapping beam at only 30 nora. I remember the debates on how OP sapping beam was at 35 nora. Whispers is better than sapping beam and never gets touched.

8. Mister Tuggles

Mister Tuggles I need me some PIE!

How is Whispers of the Mind OP when you have spells out there like Retribution, Doom, Drown, Mobilization, Quickening, etc? Mobi gives every single champ you have in play AP out of thin air with NO negative effects. Retribution basically insta-gibs a rune, drown insta-kills a small unit on water, etc, etc.

Whispers of the Mind is the least of our worries in this game at the moment.

Also, casting a spell means not having that nora for champs.

9. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

Today a dev said revamo consist on reducing abilities per champion, and from there they can manage everything else.

10. Nizzer11

Wut?

Here is what happens to me when playing vs SP. I move up my elven mage to kill a champ or to chip away at it. Oh no! Whispers! My mage that requires mobility to survive is now sitting with his ass out in the wind. Not only that but my battle plan for that turn is shot. On his turn the champ that was supposed to be dead isn't and procedes to kill my mage and whatever else they can and the game is over. All because of a 30 nora rune.

Here is why your examples are not so good

Retribution costs a champ.

Doom takes 7 turns or so to activate. Its also countered by redeploy.

Drown costs 70 nora plus needs water.

Mobilization costs 50 nora.

Quickening costs 50 nora?

Whispers is to cheap for what it does.

I thought those effects were 1 turn? What is the difference between sapping, time slip and whispers?

Sapping beam. 40 nora. On your turn you cant gain any ap for 1 turn. cant be cleasned. Isn't hidden.

Time Slip. 35 nora. On your turn you cant gain any ap for 1 turn. If you survive for a turn you get a ton of ap on the slipped champ. Isn't hidden.

Whispers. 30 nora. For an indefinite amount of time if a champ attacks he misses, gains distraced for 2 turns, and loses all ap. Hidden.

Comparing these 3 it seems that whispers is the most efficient on top of being hidden.

11. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

All those spells are priced accordingly (at least in theory). Can't remember the last time I heard anyone call Ret or Doom op but that's beside the point.

Also, it's hella strong. Sure you could play around it like you would RD, Deflect/Divert, Horrific Aura or whatever (which are bad examples because you know they're coming most of the time) but such a debilitating effect should not come that easily. Whenever I play against SP/X, I should always attack first with a throwaway champ if it's available to avoid it. When I play SP/X, all I need is 30 nora. That's bonkers. But it's a super cool spell and besides tacking on an extra 5/10, can't see what they could do to it.

12. BansheeX

BansheeX I need me some PIE!

Trying to defend Whispers cost and effect labels you as a faction zealot. Trying to do it by calling stuff like Doom and Retribution out as comparison shifts you into the raging, mindless zealot category.

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  13. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

Whispers is op, yes. Im not one of those people who demand that everything else thats op be fixed before whispers is either. Thats being said, heres what you can do against it. Clease it(yes you can cleanse whispers, razzoriel is an idiot) look at the board. Once you get to higher play, if something looks too good to be true, it probably is. If you think whispers is on something, then poke with it when you can defend the unit. If you think im banking nora, then dont try and powerfurn units that are conveniently left out in the open. My suggestion for whispers would be 35 nora and a 6-8 turn duration.

14. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

From my point of view for 35 it is still too good, since it´s hidden and all.

15. TheNidhogg

TheNidhogg I need me some PIE!

35 is appropriate. 40 I think would be too much. 35 with 10 turn CD maybe?

16. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

on a different note , effects that can't be cleansed or dispelled without being defiled are op .....like pacified and sapping beam, and possibly time slip

This should be changed to create more counter play in my opinion

Vorian and SPiEkY like this.
  17. Dresnar20365988

Dresnar20365988 Devotee of the Blood Owl

Sapping beam has counter play. Its cost. Its not hidden. You have a turn to take action to protect the rune.

No one runs sapping beam that I know of. Hammer strike is preferred by 9/10 IS players. The 10 dmg, reduction to defense, and ability to disengage from the stunned champ makes hammer strike the more versatile option.

I would replace whispers with every hammer strike in every bg I've ever made if the rune was in IS. Hidden and unlimited duration are to strong.

18. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

On a similar topic. Set Ablaze.
    You take damage, you can't move, you can't attack, you take damage AND you are on fire!

Apostate and SPiEkY like this.
  19. Greysands22

Greysands22 I need me some PIE!

All the spells in that cost range.

Whispers of the Mind
    Tales of Valor
    Dragon Fear
    Blizzard Cloak
    Burning Crusade
    Channeled Violence
    Masochism
    Nublin's Pies
    Haunt/Overgrowth (real champs not even summons)
    Treefolk's Blessing

20. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Of which are OP All but CV, Masochism, and Pies

21. Vorian

Vorian I need me some PIE!

Sapping beam can be a death sentence.