Future of PoxNora Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KTCAOP, Nov 3, 2019.

1. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I think that whatever they do, they should be aware of their limitations.

A big reason that Pox failed in the revamp was that it attempted more than it could deliver - the new client and playstation release especially sucked up resources, didn't achieve much, all while making the game objectively worse.

If the focus had been just on making the PC game polished.... well we wouldn't be talking about walking in circles and reverting the client.

So I'm saying that if you can make a simple but well done game, then do that rather than an ambitious, expansive, mess.

@Daggan

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Valkyr likes this.
  2. Mammuthone

Mammuthone The King of Potatoes

I had been playing Pox for a while, then i dropped it off. What i didn't like back then was, as someone else suggested in previous posts, the huge number of new abilities and runes which basically add nothing but confusion to the game. There are tons of factors a player shall account during a match. The nature of the game itself does not require to have infinite rune or abilities...less but well balanced is, from my standpoint, the way to go.

I think this situation is a big opportunity to relaunch the game and those are some great news. Longing to see further development because so far i haven't seen nothing so pleasant as Poxnora.

Maybe i make it too simple but, waiting those new releases, would not be possible to run the "base" game restoring the asset of, let say, 8 years ago? (i must confess i was really in love with the circle pedestal under the sprite)

Varthas likes this.
  3. Mercer Skye

Mercer Skye I need me some PIE!

I never could figure out the real reasoning why they took the 'base' off of the figurines...

jeeperz2 likes this.
  4. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

I agree. It would be fine if every champion had a "walking" animation that played when they moved (which would be extremely time consuming to create), but without the bases it looks weird seeing them slide along the ground without moving their legs. Although for flying champions it's fine I suppose.

jeeperz2 likes this.
  5. aseryen

aseryen I need me some PIE!

@Daggan Any chance there is a roadmap for the community, or is it too early?

Will Octopi need 3D assets?

6. jeeperz2

jeeperz2 I need me some PIE!

I'm glad you guys have found your footing again and I gotta say hearing about these plans to breathe new life into the game or at least fixing the old client have given me hope again. All I ask is that you guys give us the things you didn't give us before..

Transparency.

I felt like a big reason this game started dying out had less to do with its actual issues and everything to do with how its issues were going to be addressed and ultimately fixed. The Poxnora community has seen everything from ninja nerfs to ninja buffs, from months of silence to repeatable delays of an expansion without an actual explanation. This games community became toxic and most of it had to do with a lack of communication on the devs part. Sok was by far the only developer who went out of his way to actually respond and give us the information we were asking for.

If you truly want Poxnora to succeed you will need to listen to the community. Even til this very day the community never abandoned this game, even after the community was abandoned.

guokamoli54 and aseryen like this.
  7. polltroy

polltroy I need me some PIE!

Wow this sounds like a solid and good plan! Especially I like the idea to roll back during the waiting time for Pox 2. It hopefully gives devs some cash and it rebuilds interest to the game so that once Pox 2 is ready, there is a big player base already. And I really like idea of Pox 2 with a mobile version and to restart all from scratch.

Also from playing perspective wow so nice period ahead. First the roll back will give months or years of fun with old Pox, second once the Pox 2 is launched, also it can be stripped in the beginning and will bring lots of joy when new expansions come out without drowning in thousands of old runes!

Also cred for trying to monetize on spinoffs. Although im totally not interested in that, let them try to earn some money outside the community for our beloved game!

aseryen likes this.
  8. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

Hey man that's some great...
    Wait, what?

9. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

2 weeks no further update...guess it was just to sell the art book. gg

10. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Fundraising can take a highly variable amount of time with lots of false starts, etc.

aseryen likes this.
  11. NoraRum

NoraRum The King of Potatoes

I just found out about this and want to say that as I read the announcement, my eyes literally teared up, I'm not exaggerating. I was never an avid player and mostly played casually. I am happy to read about this, whichever way it goes. Just knowing there is an interest by the creators and community is what triggered the emotional response =)

Also, thanks Gnomes for keeping the spirit of this game alive by making videos, that's my only interaction with the game the last couple of years.

guokamoli54, Valkyr, Gnomes and 2 others like this.
  12. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

You can join the discord server if you'd like to interact with the community!

guokamoli54 and NoraRum like this.
  13. Pixyrus

Pixyrus Forum Royalty

Starting to regret selling all my runes...

Oh well, either way this is great news. There is still hope!

14. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

It wouldn't matter because it probably wont transfer over

15. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

while needless to say, the devs make a single comment about selling a new product then immediately go dark again.

All that tells me is the devs are no different then ever, they will go dark for another year and not bat an eye at us, unless they have something else they want to sell us of course.

16. polltroy

Come on, they did not say all will happen in one week! Im sure the business part of this, to find funds, its has to take its time. Dont be so negative now, at least we all know they will not allow the servers to shut down! And even if they dont find all the money they want, im sure they may consider to make some rollback or small fixing to keep pox alive. This is a new start, dont expect some magic straight away! They came out to us to tell they are onto this, not that they have a fix yet.

17. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

He has a point though. You cannot show up after so many years of silence and go backstage immediately after. Devlogs are a daily thing for a reason.

18. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I wonder why, if the overall goal is Pox 2, they are talking about reverting to the old client?

I get that the new client is worse, but it is ready to go right now and is accessible to PC and PS4 players. Why spend time, effort, and money, on de-vamping instead of concentrating on the main goal?

Why not just release what I understand is an almost ready to go expansion on the current client to generate some income while building Pox 2?

jeeperz2 likes this.
  19. poxrooster

poxrooster The Pox Chameleon

I'm torn by this whole thing. I want this to work, but yeah, Calisk has a point. Of course, the reverse of that is that Octopi, or whoever they are called now, needs to iron out the business. So it makes no sense to jump on the forums and respond when there's nothing to respond with other than theory and promise, knowing that they'll get peppered with questions.

20. polltroy

Consider this possibility: they want to roll out the almost ready expansion when it can give some good cash back and make a difference. If there are like 100-200 players now, cool for them with a new expansion. Not so cool for devs to waste all this material on almost no income. Better do something to kick this alive and let the players and activity slowly return, and then when there is an ok player base, launch the new expansion, maybe for old Pox or for Pox 2. But use this old asset well to give a chance of a future for the game, not just throw it out there because you can.