Future of PoxNora Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KTCAOP, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Nite2kill

Nite2kill I need me some PIE!

Wholly Crap....!! this makes me happy. i am glad to here the Tuscon Crew - Octopi - is back on the Poxnora.
    I am looking forward to the re-re-re-release

My Wish List -
    Splits can stay but Protectorate Factions split with other Protectorate Factions and the same for Wrath Factions with other Wrath Factions.
    no cross overs Wrath Factions with Protectorate Factions.

p.s. Where is Hawkfain?

0ryuk0 likes this.
  2. RasielCZ

RasielCZ I need me some PIE!

Because the current client is so bad that there is a learning curve to get used to all the bugs. Basically unplayable for a casual player or returning people.

3. gamengamenut

gamengamenut I need me some PIE!

Holy nuggets, haven't seen this much hope for pox in a long long time. super hope that this comes to something, saw some stuff earlier about making it a P2P game, would totally drop some dough to play a better polished version of pox no questions. rooting for it to work!

4. vvvvv

vvvvv The King of Potatoes

This really is great news and seeing that poxnora is not lost in the void makes me really happy. I don't get the negativity. The simple fact that servers were extented for another year is great. There have also been many attempts made by players to contact people from DOG and nothing ever panned out. Everyone seemed quite set on putting the coffin in the ground so I am personally glad to see they were at least partially wrong - there are still some devs that care about this gem.

Reverting back to Java would be great for at least two reasons: way less bugs and it would also have that nostalgia factor for a lot of players. Let's be honest, in this stage, the main player base will consist of old players. Attracting new ones is very difficult.

I am ready to support the team with cash if this goes in the retro direction, making a "Classic Poxnora" game. If the majority of bugs get ironed out, I would be happy to see existing runes get redesigned. There is so much stuff that is unused. So many cool champs with both artwork and sprites, so many cool spell effects that took a lot of money to design but are barely used because mechanically they are bad. Just rework those mechanics and it would breath life into the game with minimal investment. Hell, I am sure players would love to share input. I would definitely love to see bases back, or at least have an on/off option for them.

Best of luck team! I'd say long live Poxnora, but at this point it seems immortal so no need for that.

5. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

That kills the half skeezick and the valdaci BGs.

guokamoli54 likes this.
  6. polltroy

polltroy I need me some PIE!

i hope they roll back to before wizard of the ways was nerfed... i want portal nexus back sooo much

7. Axeraiser

Axeraiser I need me some PIE!

So what, thats the way the game should have gone. Lore was an important part of this game, and the community was closest when people identified with a single faction. Splits single handedly ruined this game, they were never balanced and could never be balanced. When we had the filter in matchmaking to face FF only the game was peak, it lost players by the dozen when that was removed and splits dominated the meta game. It pushed the game from what had originally been players playing for fun , and faction pride. To playing to win at all costs, it killed the casual aspect of the game.

8. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Originally the game allowed BGs to run runes from any combination of factions, there wasn't a requirement for full or even half faction. The faction requirement was added later, and half and full faction BGs were allowed at the same time. Yes there was a filter that allowed people to choose to only play against FF or Splits, but it's not like splits were created after full faction existed.

guokamoli54 likes this.
  9. guokamoli54

guokamoli54 I need me some PIE!

Good ol days of circus BGs lol

10. Varthas

Varthas I need me some PIE!

Yup i agree splits ruined this game and to create the icing on the cake to further wash the community out they added the 2vs2.

As Magnus Carlsen say in chess; a lot of his play comes from intuition where he intuitivt know what is the best move and for me the same is(was) true in PoxNora but when i am playing against a split some intuition disappears to me because it get too complex. When playing against FF at least there are some stuff you can intuitive know will come and try countermeasures.

And as been mentioned by other the text on the abilities they have to be simple and they can`t point to yet another ability so you end up spending the whole turn timer reading a text.

Axeraiser likes this.
  11. poxrooster

poxrooster The Pox Chameleon

It would seem fitting (and this is just an opinion on where I'd take the game) that we could have two or more battle modes: Full Faction, Spit Faction, and 2v2 for both. Split builds are fun, but they do change battle conditions. Removing them altogether is not a good condition, however.

jeeperz2 and guokamoli54 like this.
  12. polltroy

polltroy I need me some PIE!

lol this turned into some crap discussion straight away.
    1. spilts is one of the things that makes pox so great, because it gives so much flexibility for deckbuilding, while still in some kind of framework. what could be nice however would be to go back to where note every faction had everything, more diversified factions
    2. this discussion is so much more than some whining about details of the game. at this stage we should be happy if anything is changed, regardless in what direction :)

13. Axeraiser

Axeraiser I need me some PIE!

yes Circus was the original, and was the prime example of why mixing factions should have never been a thing. If you played during that time you'll know why, it was also around when there were only 6 factions, and not enough runes per faction to flesh out a real BG.

darklord48 likes this.
  14. jeeperz2

jeeperz2 I need me some PIE!

We should have recognized splits probably weren't very balanced and simply kept the filters NOT completely do away with splits. Also imo 2v2 breathed some life into this game and it was cool to have those other rankings if you weren't a solo kinda person.

15. aseryen

aseryen I need me some PIE!

Never realized people didn’t tolerate splits, I was of the mindset more dislike FF for the redundancy it created.

it’s not that split factions caused any problems; it’s that the complexity was too much for a game of tag. When competitive play gets boiled down to OHKO and capturing/positioning better, ofc direct and precise moves are going to be more favorable so that any eventual fail state can be written off to a simple/easily defined mechanic.

If you change the game of tag to sharks and minnows; the minnows will more often complain about the sharks. The only significant change is that in Sharks&Minnows, the minnows i.e. your allies, may be used against you if they get tagged on the previous turn.

After realizing FullFaction/SplitFasction is a game of Sharks&Minnows...I’ve realized the mental athleticism required to play this game is more than what’s required to play chess on steroids.

*cough* @Daggan whenyouhirin’ *cough*

jeeperz2 likes this.
  16. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I think Drums of War was the first expansion that didn't allow circus, but I didn't play a lot of ranked so I don't know for sure. I do agree with you that splits are much more difficult to balance than full faction, and because that was never achieved the splits tended to rule ranked. I think it's too late to remove splits in the current game, but I would like to see Pox 2 restricted to full faction BGs.

jeeperz2 likes this.
  17. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

Or put further restrictions on splits, something like:
    1) Split BG's get ZERO faction bonus or maybe just 1/2 of one bonus instead of half of two bonuses
    2) Each split BG must be highlander. I think that "could" reduce some abuse.

Being able to pick elite runes from two different factions is a strong perk. So give FF its faction bonus, and remove that from splits...kinda works out imo.

Anyways, at least they've got a bit of life in the forums. Let's see if they can get that into the client now... :rolleyes:

darklord48 likes this.
  18. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I guess it depends exactly how much it costs them to revert the client. My worry is that difficulties pile up and what they thought was an cheaply achievable goal becomes a resource sucking slog (as it has with a lot of things since DoG took over).

There is also the question of PS4 players who won’t be able to use it.

19. aseryen

aseryen I need me some PIE!

So is the problem with splits being the compounded potential for power creep, outside of what is to be expected from full faction?

This is my understanding of the general dislike towards splits. Mechanically speaking I don’t see them being designed any differently than the concept of all Constructs ability upgrade line can be bestowed via Spare Parts; outside of the ingame mechanics, this design approach seems to fit future designs for splits, and any buffs/nerfs to existing runes altogether.

Im not seeing how the macro split faction bonus of UD/ST (DMG/HP) is a bane to Poxnora; however if ‘rarity’ or Meta-tier Runes could be quantified, then I understand having essentially multiple Legendary units roaming the board.

This is why I’m in larger favor of reducing the amount of runes available per battle group; if this gets phased in by only allowing FF runes to be played x1 of. There is still the small feature to note of selecting a preferred faction while running a split; this would allow for the regular allotment of x2 runes per chosen faction.

There’s a fix here somewhere, splits should stay

20. Effy

Effy The King of Potatoes

Really happy to see Pox taking off again!

I've never been a hardcore player, but i think Pox is one of the few games i like that have "survived". I will be more than happy to give a little help.
    Complexity and depth is nothing bad to me. Most games just kill you to boredom with repeating mechanics and strategies. Never felt that boredom creeping on me here.

Put as much love as you can in the ui. It will never be enough!.

Nora That, guokamoli54 and aseryen like this.