Future of PoxNora Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KTCAOP, Nov 3, 2019.

1. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

This is exactly the kind of complexity that was being addressed: reducing the number of abilities per champ, consolidating the overall number of abilities, as well as standardising the effects to be more consistent.

You could argue that reducing the number of abilities per champ was ‘dumbing down’ but I think if you were to go back and look at some pre-revamp champs with 20 or so abilities you’d agree they were ridiculous.

Of course the client side of things was a shitshow that undermined the champ/ability design changes that sok implemented. But those were failings in the programming/business side which sok didn’t touch.

guokamoli54 likes this.
  2. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

the most-recent design direction of pox was mostly great, it was the technical and business side that destroyed the game.

guokamoli54 likes this.
  3. aseryen

aseryen I need me some PIE!

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/XBdW6y

Anthony Lopes; 3D model/Texture
    Matt Dixon; Original Artwork
    Rune: Skeletal Berserker/FW - Wrath

upload_2019-12-22_16-58-20.jpeg

upload_2019-12-22_16-59-34.jpeg

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/XBdW6y

Not sure if this has been shared but seeing this (10 months later) is really good for Poxnora; I asked years ago if 3D models were needed and at the time they weren’t necessary.

In general Unity may be the engine used for the final game but there are several programs and art styles that can benefit from models such as this, especially if high fidelity ads (not a monitor recorded from a phone) are going to be part of development moving forward.

Personally, Unity or Unreal, I’m hoping to see some base models (fully rigged or not) to be available for download so that I can work with them in. Autodesk/Zbrush. I can release some of my base models if requested.

This helps me as a bar to reach in terms of quality, hopefully I have a solid enough pipeline that I can produce assets efficiently.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    Crunplet, haroldkin and newsbuff like this.
  4. poxrooster

poxrooster The Pox Chameleon

Here, we are again.

Then, "Hey, it's Octopi; and we're coming back."

Now . . . it's more quiet than a dead monk on valium.

Thanks for the heads up.

5. turtlejam

turtlejam The King of Potatoes

I'm late to the party on this forum, but I'd like to put in my two cents.

I've been playing Pox on and off since 2006, and I don't think complexity is an issue. Pox Nora is not and never will be for everyone. Just like MTG, Pox attracts a certain kind of gamer. One that enjoys tactics, deck building, smatterings of lore, synergy, and most of all, complexity - or at least the potential for complex builds.

I started playing during the SOE years. I know that's not nearly as long as some of you other vets out there, but I think that's long enough to see how much things for Pox changed. I agree with what seems to be a majority here that the biggest problem was with the dev team itself. Little to no interaction with the community after things started going downhill, which only exacerbated the frustration of new and old players alike.

After reading through most of the posts here, I can also agree with the majority that balance is definitely an issue. As I said before, I only played on and off throughout the years, but that huge error on my part let me see how quickly new expansions made older runes worthless. MTG and pretty much every game of the deck buidling/card collecting genre has the problem of balancing old with new, so I'm not entirely sure how one would go about fixing that problem entirely while still keeping the players excited for new expansions.

I first started playing Pox on the PC. I now play on the PS4 and can't play for nearly as long as I used to. That is simply because the PS4 version is AWFUL. Too many button commands. Managing a BG is a nightmare. Scrolling across a map is aggravating. Deploying a rune is frustrating. It's just a bad experience. I'd much rather see a streamlined version of Pox released for mobile devices than navigate through the PS4 version.

All this being said, I'm still rooting for a Pox revival. Whether that means a complete reboot, a sequel, or maybe a board game that feels like Heroscape (anyone remember that gem of a game?!), Pox is too special to let it be consigned to a dusty top shelf. If nothing works out, then please for the love of all that is good, give the game to the community, because from what I've been reading, it seems like a lot of these people would be perfectly willing to breathe new life into this special game.

yuore, aseryen and guokamoli54 like this.
  6. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

May I ask why you continue playing on PS4 if the experience is garbage?

chickenpox2 likes this.
  7. turtlejam

turtlejam The King of Potatoes

I no longer have a PC to play on. I would buy one, but I'm a relatively new family man and can't quite spring the cash at the moment.

8. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Theyre probably not working atm.

What with it being the holidays and all

guokamoli54 likes this.
  9. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

I also play on ps4 now and I really don't find it to be as unmanageable as hes making it sound. The only time it becomes difficult for me is when i'm trying to manage large scale power turns with AP generation.

But that's something i struggled with on pc too.

10. aseryen

Gameplay may be manageable but the actual issue is the Deck Manager and the fact PoxNora is 64bit for some unforeseen reason. There was a development decision made by some genius that 64bit was necessary to boost community development; this was then agreed and given the green light by another genius that thought they knew how to spend money but I digress...

Controller support is plausible however its the full game loop that needs to be looked at when talking about having a controller dongle; I would expect the PSN marketplace to do better long term on attracting a playerbase however it will always come down to actually testing the product before release, I would be amazed if DOGs had a PlayStation in their office. Most likely they rocked a 360 for the majority of their development, again cause they're geniuses.

@newsbuff @themacca If you ever get the chance @anyone try playing on the Steam Controller...I had a blast remapping the controller (not many will I understand I'm a geek) but I liked the controller even more specifically for PoxNora.

Taking a look at Tilt5 being where I release my game; there's been some talk about Steam Controller even though Valve doesn't offer much support for it. The haptic touchpad is perfect for PoxNora, easy to slide the cursor around the screen and bring up touch-menus; I can manage the entire game loop with just a thumb.

11. soulfire69

soulfire69 The King of Potatoes

Thank you for posting this. I haven't seen y'all in quite some time and miss playing. Good to see you're still around.

12. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

Do you guys honestly think they can reach 5m let one 1m?

13. aseryen

When the first question comes to mind is “Track record aside?”

The odds are ever in their favor...

14. aseryen

From what I’ve seen of code linked here and there, and discussions with @Sokolov json is used as an array/database of sorts and unity can make sense of that data. As for previously how it worked, idk.

That being said, the general state of Poxnora is less with what code it’s written on so much of who knows what they’re coding. I’m unsure how long one can toot the horn of poor code/infrastructure. After some time in the kitchen, the recipe is all yours.

Whereas Pokémon has at least a baseline of understanding for entity creation, Poxnora became the bathrooms graffiti wall.

15. chickenpox2

@Daggan any updates on the pox picture book yet?

aseryen likes this.
  16. Flyingfinn

Flyingfinn I need me some PIE!

Until the client is at least reverted back I can't give my support

aseryen likes this.
  17. ArtmanOz

ArtmanOz The King of Potatoes

I just happened to pop in and was pleasantly surprised. This game is truly unique and special. Take as long as you need Octopi as it is clear the fanbase will always remain loyal and put the $ anywhere to support long term growth.

- Art

jeeperz2 and aseryen like this.
  18. yuore

yuore The King of Potatoes

Has anyone created something similar to poxnora, either on android or whatever, FLASH GAME, ANYTHING?

19. chickenpox2

Capilator's pox better than the real thing

20. Zar1ne

Zar1ne New Member

Как больно. Я надеюсь, что это не правда. Pox должен жить!