Patch Notes: January 31st , 2021 Discussion.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Etherielin, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

Link to the patch notes: Click me!
    Link to the spreadsheet: Click me!

Feel free to discuss the patch here! What are your thoughts and opinions on it?

Gnomes likes this.
  2. Etherielin

Patch is live!

Gnomes likes this.
  3. dsjtheman

dsjtheman I need me some PIE!

Thanks for the frequent patches!!!

4. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

Big UD nerfs:

Split Personality banned (due to bug, but still takes away a useful option). DE Assassin does less damage. PoV +5 nora. Shadow bunny loses HP and aura. Bok Raider stat nerfs (but no cost reduction for some reason). Caverunner loses reinforcement replaced by some sandbag abilities. Pincushion loses it's synergistic damage shield. Sheoul demon becomes a bit less competitive. Taps to Messenger and fireslinger.

The only one that really bothers me is caverunner who performed a useful role of mobile font grabber in my DE deck that I can't really replace.

5. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

The Split Personality ban is a GOOD thing for UD players because it drained 40 nora every time it triggered, meaning you'd be paying at minimum 80 nora for the spell's effect.

Assassin does slightly less damage but is also slightly cheaper and has actually useful upgrades. If you can't kill something with a 48 damage Assassinate, plus any follow-up, I dunno what to say.

Shadow Bunny didn't lose Aura entirely, it just went down to rank 1. It also didn't lose any HP, unless you're playing it in a split. Eth has been standardizing summons in this way for some time now, and there's no reason Shadow Bunny should be excluded from this. Not to mention the fact that you WANT Shadow Bunny to die as quickly as possible so that Salaam can be buffed up.

Raider nerf was done more out of annoyance than power, because init drops into 6 range Arrow Shots is the same reason Ranger Elite got (one of) his nerfs. Sure, you could just say "don't stand within X spaces of a UD font if you don't want surprise Arrow Shots", but that's not really a solution. I'd imagine this nerf won't do much overall because Raider is still a decent champion with a strong kit.

Caverunner changes seem more lateral IMO. She lost some on-deploy power, but gained some utility. I wouldn't call a situational Relocate: Ally a "sandbag", it (and Gore to a lesser extent) gives her a reason to actually get into combat rather than just sit around sniping fonts and Fire Bombing occasionally. Isn't that what UD players want: getting into combat quickly? Only now, she can Tunnel in then bring a friend with her.

Pincushion nerf was deserved tbh. It's been a super efficient ball of meat for ages now and carries many UD players' games. I reckon it will still be efficient, though slightly less so against melee, which it was never actually meant to counter as hard as it did.

Sheoul Demon changes just open up more options in his U1. +1 speed was always the default, and the other options weren't even considered. But now you actually have to make a choice, and I think it makes him a more interesting champ than just a triple-hitting stat stick. I know most UD players don't really care about utility on their beaters, but Kill Sense is an amazing ability, and Frightful Blows can let him stick around longer than normal, giving you more time to recoup his cost with Essence Capture. Let's also not forget that he gained 2 ranks of a rather expensive ability essentially for free. Sounds more like a buff to me.

Fireslinger taps were deserved, but I had no problems with Messenger. I guess better player than me were complaining about her.

Gnomes likes this.
  6. Bushido

Bushido Devotee of the Blood Owl

Lol lost queen with sov bounty might actually be usable if you get soul collection, double trouble(coragh) or death pact. Really funny, but I don't think it's viable still. Very close though lol, probably the closest thing we have recieved to a playable buff less sarinda

7. Bushido

Such a good point about salaam, I think the other aura should be rank 1 too tbh. But I think this will help deal with this impossible thing. I think giving it loyalty would be a buff honestly, no point in that maybe but idk.

8. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I think we could trade counter points each of these, which i don't really care to do, mostly because i don't really mind them being nerfed. A lot of these champs I don't often use just out of personal preference. My only point was that, even if you agree with each individual nerf, in aggregate this amounts to a sizable UD nerf.

Caverunner... hunters call isn't a great ability imo. It gets some use on Nefari informant but really not that much. We'll see how it goes and I am ready to stand corrected but don't think i will be.

With Split Personality - it depends on how much nora you end the turn with. If it is close to zero then you can't lose much on the following turn. I'd been using it for ages without even knowing about the bug simply because I don't tend to store Nora.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  9. belalugosi

belalugosi The King of Potatoes

The FS nerf is fine I guess but would really like the ability to run Kartch cheaper, the changes to him seem more of a sandbag to be honest. I would rather just the -2 nora and nothing else or at least an option to run him more efficient.

10. Braxzee

Braxzee I need me some PIE!

Thanks for fixing homing sense...
    I like the bounty theme with the queen and king champs.

Lonx Howler was nerfed, but now the upgrades make sense and that is good for the game.

Lonx Chieftan was all ready bad and now it is worse somehow. Make his range 1 -2. Lonx really need a long range champ. He would be better to be range 5 -7 with no upgrades at all. or Range 1 -2 with Swap to base and pull on U1 and relocate ally on U2 the other upgrades do not matter. or you can go with the Range 1-2 and give him king bounty, it would fit the flavor of the game presently.
    Back in the day he had shrinking gaze, swap, relocate ally and pull. Then he exploded and became forgotten

11. Etherielin

12. Braxzee

Can we stop nerfing everything? There are ways to balance the game without nerfing something, like working on champs that have the same U1 upgrades or not even enough Upgrade options. As you nerf champs it just one more BG that is not going to see gameplay...Soon you are going to have a very concentrated number of champs that actually get used. I like this game due to you see the unexpected. Lately it is just becoming clones, heal, and AP generating using a very few select champs and spells. Well knock back BGs tooo are common. The counter champs to these issues are getting nerfed over and over again.

13. Bushido

Brax, can you give examples of the counter champs getting nerfed and how?

I actually agree with your sentiment tbh. What bothered me was the bone mine nerf into ground; that rune was my favorite fw skeleton relic, because I thought bone spurs were a fun minigame.

I think healing should be cut across the board; only unique/ heros should have divine favour 3.

As for the clone issue, I don't think clones are actually good tbh. In sp and sl they seem really strong, but too a useable by meta runes to be a viable strategy (looking at Maxx for example). I honestly don't think strig warlock is bad if that's what ur referring to.

14. Bushido

Shouldn't he get ritual of power? Rite of power sucks.

15. Bushido

Is it possible to add more heros? @Etherielin ? All factions should get at least one more, if not more, things like salaam, sarinda, kento, etc. Maybe give them a bit more in terms of game changing abilities. Especially the FW one, give them an ability that makes up for the outclassed bonus over time. Something like a mass heal or nora mine / death harvest. Maybe the UT relic ability or the toh ability

16. Braxzee

It is shattered summons - it used to instant kill all clones and illusions. That was not fair i get that. I think it should be Cd1 or the damage is increased. Right now I can use an AOE + shattered summons and still not kill off some of the clones. Ritual abilities can be spread more among other factions as an option.

Lonx hunter used to have aggressive - where any champ that engaged her she got an attack. Good counter to clones and easy to implement across all factions.

Leoss Pantier had defile death...this ability prevented death effects from happening. Bile zombie was abused when this ability was removed from the game.

Those are two for now :)

17. Bushido

Yeah but these changes are so old, might as well talk about a different game. Honestly, most summons are actually in a decent place. I'd say hyaenid dream crusher is actually too strong. Shatter Summon is in a decent place; 1 less ap cost would be cool.

Honestly, summon spam just isnt very prevalent. There's many ways to deal with it, and there's more powerful strategies available.