World Cup @Brasil 2014!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Pedeguerra, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

So yeah, as most of you all know I'm brasilian and I'm a huge fan of football. Not only I support it, I played it semi professionally until I turned 18 and started my law college. At the age of 31, I still play it 3 times a week.
    With that said, Brasil is holding the 2014 World Cup. Not only that, the city where I live (Belo Horizonte) is one of the elected headquarters for the event, and I already bought a ticket to watch a match (unfortunately, Argentina x Iran, it was the only one I could go to).
    This topic is mainly to discuss which teams you like/hate, your bets for the games and overall making fun of each others teams.
    My favorite pick for the team winning the World Cup, unfortunately, isnt Brasil, but Germany. They have a better team overall. Good teams to look out for are Spain, Argentina, Uruguay and Holland (not so sure about this last one).
    People here in Brasil are saying that one of the surprises will be Belgium (thats right Burnzy), and I think maybe Chile might make a good tourney.
    I will be supporting Brasil like mad, but our chances are slim to be honest.

rodar and Woffleet like this.
  2. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Goooooooooaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllll.

Does the US have a soccer team?

rodar likes this.
  3. Regulate

Regulate I need me some PIE!

I'm English, our team is a joke like always. Best league, worst national team.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't make it out of the groups, but if we do who knows - weird stuff happens in knockout tournaments.

Also I'd hardly call Belgium a surprise, they are strong... they should put in a good showing.

rodar likes this.
  4. FrznWastes

FrznWastes Member

Columbia could be a wild card as far as winning the tournament goes

rodar likes this.
  5. Pedeguerra

Hahah, you do, and US group is one of the toughest ones.
    It saddens me to see England so bad, you guys are the creators of the game, after all.
    And as far as Colombia goes, I think they wont make it too far - their best player didnt go to the tourney (injury).

rodar likes this.
  6. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

I had an assistant from Brazil for a time. She spent her vacation to go watch world cup. Not for holidays or family or beach vacation.

She would yell in Portuguese to her family on the phone so loud. I had to sit her in my office, go out and shut the door and start yelling to get her to realize how well 8 could hear her. After that point she yelled slightly less loud.

Great gal. I never realized just how important soccer was to Brazilians till her.

Great gal. Clients loved her as well, haha.

rodar likes this.
  7. Woffleet

Woffleet I need me some PIE!

U.S for the win!

rodar likes this.
  8. FrznWastes

FrznWastes Member

You a big U.S football follower and if so any idea why altidore seems to be doing so well on an international stage but is struggling for us (sunderland) in the league :(

rodar and Woffleet like this.
  9. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Belgium2014 the dream.

rodar likes this.
  10. BansheeX

BansheeX I need me some PIE!

My hubby still laments the fact thatDenmark missed the qualification.
    At least I wont have to endure the tv on 24-7 with football on

rodar likes this.
  11. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Super jelly. I am a huge Argentina fan.

rodar likes this.
  12. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

'Murka

rodar likes this.
  13. Pedeguerra

Well, then you will be jelly twice: Argentina is training and staying located at my home city (Belo Horizonte), in the Training Center of my favorite team (Atletico-MG).
    I'm this close to cheering for Argentina as well.

rodar likes this.
  14. Regulate

Regulate I need me some PIE!

i hate messi's stupid face

rodar likes this.
  15. Pedeguerra

Hahaha, he does have a stupid face, but that doesnt make him any less skilled, unfortunately. I personally believe he's gonna kick ass this World Cup.

rodar likes this.
  16. BansheeX

BansheeX I need me some PIE!

[quote="Pedeguerra, post: 49356, member: I personally believe he's gonna kick ass this World Cup.[/quote]
    Isnt he supposed to kick the ball??
    As far as I understand the rules the other thing can get him evicted from the game

rodar likes this.
  17. Pheezy

Pheezy The King of Potatoes

Pretty sure Aus has a team. I havent been a fan of soccer not that I don't enjoy the sport. Just havent found the time for it. But this year, I will most certainly keep an eye out.

rodar likes this.
  18. rodar

rodar Well-Known Member

I need to brush up on my geography. according to this site Mexico is representing Oceaniƫ. What a weird way to pick a country they have there. They play a couple of rounds then play a final then another round (???) then mexico appears in the only 2 matches that matter and hits the jackpot.

19. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

Oceania in general is bad at soccer, the one that always qualified was australia, but it switched over to the asian qualy in order to be more competitive, and so, FIFA decided that oceania qualifiers won't put you directly in the world cup, so the equip that won it would have to play an eliminating match against one of the almost-qualified countries of other zones, in this case mexico, because north america has (top of my mind) 2 full slots (1st and 2nd go to the world cup directly) and 1 half slot (3rd has to play an additional match) so those half slots have to play between themselves.

TL DR: oceania only has half a spot for the world cup, so he has to play a additional match after winning the qualy. Australia plays with asian countries.

20. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

It will be interesting to see how the country handles having both the World Cup and Olympics within a two year time span. Quite a lot of publicity and tourism to suddently erupt, I'd say.

21. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty