How not to say "Firk this Bane Shift"?

Discussion in 'Underdepths' started by MakarovJAC, Jun 11, 2014.

1. MakarovJAC

MakarovJAC I need me some PIE!

Seriously, I need an answer which doesn't end with "copy somebody else's game style (because this game is so shitty we don't have access to variety...unless you try Prot auto-win runes)".

The situation goes like this. Any BG I've made which is not an slight variation of an already succesful bg is simply useless. An opponent plays an auto-win rune (Blink for example, Bubble of Protection being another one), and all I have to do is try to hold on for as long as I can, because there is no turning point. Don't answer with Dark Pact or Demonologist because not even you play those things.

If it's not a spell, but a particular swissz-knife champ which hits like a truck (because you seem like ignoring the fact any body else and their moms too have stronger runes than ours, eventhough their faction flavour shouldn't allow it), takes nothing but small scraps of damage even if you supposedly hit it with >30 damage, and also have enough debuff effects to make Purefire a must first-turn draw. Don't "FR" me because even you have your doubts about that spell. Starting with the cost-benefit factor, timing, and even if it's worth to have in a BG.

I know well when I lose because of a bad move; or a bad playthrough. If I complain about "auto-win" runes is because the same BS always hits me bad. Specially the absurd reduction-damage thing. If anyone has any helpful advice I can take, instead of having to sit in front of the screen until somebody logs in and start playing, I would gladly listen to it. Otherwise, just tell me to cross fingers and await for the Revamp...as if one did any good, last time there was one, we only got one helpful rune. And it got nerfed a week later.

2. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

I will try to help you..... and address the points i understand 1 by 1 , and this is for everyone who also has the same beliefs or so

"Any BG Ive made which is not an slight variation of an already successful bg is simply useless" <-- This just means you are not skilled at bg building, or have not been able to discover a synergy that works well YET, a great new UD bg can be built....but its gonna take someone creative and skilled at BGs.

"Don't answer with Dark Pact or Demonologist because not even you play those things." <-- Actually i use dark-pact in almost every UD BG, it takes some practice and learning to predict the enemy, and then it becomes amazing... But im aware a lot of UD players don't like it and that's justifiable too.

"An opponent plays an auto-win rune (Blink for example, Bubble of Protection being another one)" <-- eh, If you get blinked in the first 2 turns and you didn't draw/use darkpact....its brutal I'm not gonna lie, but this won't happen often...most times nobody dares to blink me past early game..... because they know dark-pact will end them.

"If it's not a spell, but a particular swissz-knife champ which hits like a truck (because you seem like ignoring the fact any body else and their moms too have stronger runes than ours, eventhough their faction flavour shouldn't allow it), takes nothing but small scraps of damage even if you supposedly hit it with >30 damage, and also have enough debuff effects to make Purefire a must first-turn draw." <--- Its not a question of if champs are out of hand at the moment , they are , its a fact... But that does not explain why someone playing the same faction as you and more or less same runes can beat the same players and factions you can't, you can still out play the enemy... position far enough so you don't get smashed.... and kill the "OP" champion before it even does major damage to your forces.

I don't have a magic secret for you , i can't tell you do X and Y and you'll suddenly become a better player. All i can tell you , is play smarter , don't run head first in to the enemy if you know its a lost fight... you have the option to keep moving around and think of something else... waiting for your enemy to make a mistake( Which they make a lot of i promise you ) , but it takes practice and focus to see the mistakes....... because not every mistake you can take advantage of is going to be so obvious.... Sometimes he stepped forward 1 step too close , and thats all it takes.

3. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

4. RKane

RKane Member

I would say it all comes down to these

- One can only get better with experience. Play and lose, ask in the forums, observe ranked games of people whose gameplay you find similar to yours and try to find out why and how they play, keeping in mind observing is also important to study a certain matchup.

- Keep level headed at all times (or at least enough to be able to see mistakes), ask a higher ranked guildie/stranger to play with you and comment or even observe your game in the ladder and analyze the game with them. Practice makes perfect and each match is just a stepping stone to that end.

- Most importantly find/create a bg you enjoy playing. Doesnt matter if you lose with it. You ll be more driven to utilise said bg than actually winning with it. If it doesnt work it just means you ll have to use your creativity to fine tune it, or even build other bgs, but with the knowledge of why said bg doesnt work. That can only work in your advantage in your furute deck building attempts.

- Recognise the strengths and weaknesses of said bgs, in correlation to maps and matchups. You cant win them all but you surely cant lose them all. If you find yourself amazed at an opponents move, it means you need to work on knowing what the opposition would most likely be running. That way you can preemptively know and decide whether a move you make, and the opponent's retaliation, is worth the risk.

- Take RNG in consideration. If you dont have an answer revealed chose to step back. If you lose because you didnt reveal it in time, it happens move on.

All of these among others come naturally as you play and enjoy doing so. Setting some guidelines will only speed up the process.

StupidJerk likes this.
  5. Koredar

Koredar The King of Potatoes

I actually run 2 Demonologists... guess I'm terribad. XP

6. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

demonologist is a great champ, I'm really surprised it isn't run more.

7. Raikan

Raikan I need me some PIE!

Blink is a huge investment: 55 nora plus a relic/champ to sit in the blinked space to make sure the champ doesn't return. Even if it wins the font, it takes several turns to pay off.

Bubble: That's why most people will run either griefbearer or demonic lich in a bg. Dispel is pretty useful for a lot of reasons...not just bubble.

8. BloodAshes

BloodAshes The King of Potatoes

I read the first paragraph......an then read no more.