Pox Nora Revamp - Preview 9

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Senshu, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

Hello Again,

Two Previews in one week, maybe that means something? One thing it does mean is that we had a lot more to show you than what would fit into a single preview.

Lets begin today talking about racial abilities. Tortuns are known for having for having many abilities that are considered to be key to their race. We wanted to streamline this so we created a single ability that addresses everything called Tortun Shell.

Tortun Shell
    While this unit has 1 or more defense, it has Amphibious (This champion ignores restrictions and penalties imposed by Water) and Turtle (AP3 CD3 - This unit becomes Impervious, Immobile, and Pacified).​

For the ability Tortun’s Trade, we felt like it wasn’t a majorly important trait for the race so it will be available as an upgrade ability for some Tortuns. Tortun’s Trade has also been modified slightly so the nora gain is only for friendly Toruns within range.

Tortun's Trade
    For 1 turn, whenever this unit successfully attacks, you gain 1 nora for every friendly Tortun within 6 spaces.​

Good old Mangleshell is a perfect example of a Tortun with both of these racial abilities.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

While on the subject of racial abilities lets talk about our big furry friends the Yetis. Their signature racial trait has been Fang and Fur, and for a racial it was too much of a kitchen sink ability making it too complex for what we think of a racial. As you can guess the ability has been completely redesigned and renamed to Abominable. Now no one is safe from these pack hunting Abominable Arctic Creatures (hmm, it feels like this was a missed opportunity for a cliche about snow or men, oh well)

Abominable
    CD 2 AP 2
    This unit is Arctic, and deals +1 dmg for each friendly yeti in play, to scented units. When activated, a scent appears at the location of the nearest real opposing unit. If that unit is stealthed, it becomes Frightened 2.​

Lets take a look at Yeti Ambusher, and if you are wondering Ambush is Tunnel Ambush renamed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some of you may be happy to hear the Maxxarek and Sheoul Disciple deployment combo will continue to work after the revamp. This combo was brought to our attention and after discovering some hidden mechanics we have made some minor tweaks to make sure this continues to work.

The whole Sheoul Disciple costing 10 less nora when Maxxerek is in play was actually a hidden mechanic on the ability Sacrificial Power despite the text being on Disciple's Rapture. Since there is no way for an ability on a non-deployed rune to affect a Rune’s nora cost based on what is currently deployed we have decided to show how this actually works rather than keep this facade.

Disciple's Rapture
    Old
    6 turns after deployment, this champion gains Manic and Intimidating. If a friendly Maxxerek is in play, this champion cost 10 less nora.
    New
    6 turns after deployment, this champion gains Manic and Intimidating.​

Sacrificial Power
    Old
    When an opposing champion is destroyed this champion's cooldowns are reduced by 10.
    New
    When an opposing champion is destroyed this champion's cooldowns are reduced by 10. Sheoul Disciples cost 10 less nora.​

Note, no mechanics were changed this is how it actually works in the live game.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yes, Maxx has Eight (8) abilities, but that will be reflected in his nora cost.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You know the ability One with Nora and how powerful it is, well not anymore. One With Nora will now only work against basic attacks.

One With Nora
    After this champion is damaged by a basic attack, it gains immunity to the attacker's damage type for 4 turns.​

This comes as a minor de-buff to the ability, but Goblin Spellkaiser will still be very potent in the right Battlegroup.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you may have noticed the format for the showing upgrade abilities’ Nora Cost has changed. Some of you will be happy to know that this is actually how they will be shown in the rune manager. Here is a picture of the Abomination, which was covered in Preview 5, with the upgrade ability dropdown menu open.

[​IMG]

As always, everything in this preview is still subject to change.

Hang in there, the revamp is coming. You will only need to contain your excitement just a little while longer.

GameJack, Tweek516, DarkJello and 5 others like this.
  2. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

Looks good. Yeti Ambusher probably doesn't need Arctic on base if Abominable grants Arctic.

Also, I think I'd prefer it if the basic attack, if applicable, would be the first ability mentioned.

SPiEkY and Woffleet like this.
  3. Farce

Farce Member

Tortun Shell seems unnecessary and weird, Spellkaisers upgrades are the most boring and stupid yet since 4nora more or less isn't ever going to convince anyone to not run max ranks of magic bomb/hex and unless you've actually fixed Disciple's Rapture it still doesn't do remotely what it says on the ability.

That said Mangleshell still seems pretty ok!

Edit: also considering how vulnerable the kaiser is now it seems weird that he dropped cast: Cauterize

4. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

I think it's fair to say, we need to rob senshu's account for all those tokens.

Zenity, Joker and Xirone like this.
  5. iodomy

iodomy Member

You stated that no mechanics were changed with regard to Disciple's Rapture, but all of the surrounding text was just about her -10 to cost with Maxx. Would it be too much to hope that you'll either revert the ability to function as described or update the description to match its actual functionality? In case the people who brought it to your attention originally left this out: At launch it functioned as described, and manic/intimidating were permanent after 6 turns. This was later changed so that every 6 turns she got a single turn (not full round; controlling player's turn only) of manic/intimidating. Which is dumb and bad, but that's no surprise given the game's status at the time.

6. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

If Gekaal gets worse instead of better I'm going to throw things at you while I cry inconsolably.

Skullferno, Tarathil and Rokkushun like this.
  7. Queegon

Queegon I need me some PIE!

I second the Disciple's Rapture move, hope you revert it to permanent state after those 6 turns pass, not a "manic once every 6 turns, intimading does nothing".

8. Xirone

Also, Yeti Ambusher's flavor text is incomplete.

Edit: Speaking of flavor texts, could Ambling Frond get his original flavor text reverted?

9. Xirone

If a Tortun uses Turtle, from the Tortun Shell ability, and then I use Soften on it, is it no longer protected by Turtle?

10. Rokkushun

Rokkushun Devotee of the Blood Owl

I made this 4 u

[​IMG]

11. Makorov

Makorov I need me some PIE!

!
    The next preview should totally include Spirit of Endurance <3

Xirone likes this.
  12. narvoxx

narvoxx I need me some PIE!

Sad to see you think Tortun's Trade wasn't majorly important since it used to be the base of the very fun SL/FS Tortuns with SL's big power turn spells helping out tortuns immensely in dealing damage while tortuns trade refunded some nora.

For Abominable I hope it's not global, seem's pretty harsh to stealthed champions (then again, stealth is really frustrating to play against so this might not even be too bad a thing).

Maxxarek... I don't know. I have no idea how Fire Eater can be the most expensive upgrade in that path, it's pretty much a non ability except... when combo'd with Set Ablaze and Bane Shift. Which you can't do anymore since set ablaze and fire eater are on the same upgrade path. Well I guess you still can but maxx will now take damage, ok then. Upgrade Path 2 seems pretty good though.

Pretty happy to see spellkaiser lose relocate foe but I can't really tell if people will still like to run him. Perhaps One With Nora is going to remain really good due to champions losing a lot of abilities? There's is a big issue though, did Defile Corpse change? because it currently only works on basic attacks and Spell Kaiser doesn't have one.

13. Senshu

Like stated in the preview none of the actual abilities were actually changed. This how they actually function in the game, we just updated the text to do describe it properly.

14. iodomy

iodomy Member

Okay, but the point we're making is that in the current live game Disciple's Rapture does not function as described and your updated description also does not reflect how it actually functions. If you did not make any changes to the functionality, the new description remains extremely inaccurate.

15. Xirone

It would be more helpful if you described how it works in game right now and how it is different from the proposed "solution."

Edit: Nevermind, you already did.

16. MovnTarget

MovnTarget Forum Royalty

If you're tweaking/messing around with heroes in any way can you please please rework vex so that she's less of a gimmicky pile of bad and more of a worthwhile champ.

SPiEkY and Tarathil like this.
  17. Pathfnder

Pathfnder Devotee of the Blood Owl

Why do racials have to be special abilties? Why can't the Tortun racial just be the existing "Turtle Shell" ability? Forget the Tortun's trade crap.

I prefer simple racials like how lots of Draksar have "Violent" , Garu have "Hibernate", Boghoppers have "Leap"

Racial abilities like "Tortun Shell", "Seal of the Vashal", "Boon of the wind", just seam so gimmicky and forced.

Lauremoon, Zenity, Goyo and 1 other person like this.
  18. Atherhog

Atherhog I need me some PIE!

Let's talk Torts,

I'll be honest, I think you miss the point of Tortuns. Tortuns Trade is key to why they are attractive as an alternative play style. In the form I started playing with, it allowed me to worry less about fonts.

The Torts are slow, hence pondorous, and can't cap fonts as efficiently as other races. Tortuns Trade used to make up for this. It got nerfed due to the extra corrupted nora champs that were released.

Make Tortun Trade global again, it's the key flavour ability for Tortuns. Just make it with a toggle switch for on/off.

This is not about power... this is not about shoebox... this is about giving Torts their playstyle back.

Gelid and Tarathil like this.
  19. Senshu

I just checked and that bug regarding Manic and Intimidating on Disciple's Rapture are still on our to fix list.

20. Senshu

We are still working on font sizing which is why the text is being cutoff.