Pox Nora Revamp - Final Preview!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Senshu, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

Hello to everyone,

The revamp is coming along very nicely to the point that this will be the final preview. Yes, the revamp is coming soon. We are still in the process of finalizing things, so we can’t give an exact date just yet.

Now that we have you all excited it is time to make you explode!

As part of the revamp we are introducing a new feature which we first introduced in our other game Void Rim. Presenting the addition of Secondary Ability Popup!

Secondary Ability Popups in short are additional popup windows for abilities that provides descriptions for common conditions, mechanics, and referenced abilities. This feature allows us to declutter the text in ability descriptions while still providing important information to players and staying more consistent with the definitions. Yay, less things to remember!

This will be an ongoing process, so not everything will have a Secondary Ability Popup at the launch of the Revamp. It will take time to address all 3,000 abilities, but the major hurdle of getting the functionality in place is done.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Racial Abilities

Now lets spend some time talking about our drunk & stout friends the Dwarves. Back in preview 3 we talked a bit about what we were thinking in regard to the Dwarves. As part of us enhancing racial abilities/themes -- we really wanted to make one of the Dwarves’ signature abilities, Carouse, unique.

Carouse has undergone two (2) major changes. First, the ability will remain on the champion after being used, so it is no longer tied to having Blacklabel Brew equipped on the champion. Second, the ability will now be giving a different piece of equipment called Pale Brew. We wanted the equipment Blacklabel Brew to be more unique, so Pale Brew was created specifically for Carouse.

Carouse
    (1AP, cd 4): Target adjacent champion is equipped with Pale Brew. If this champion is equipped with a brew, it will give out that brew instead. Equipment generated by this ability costs 0 nora.

Pale Brew
    Equipped Intoxicated for 3 turns. At the start of your turn, this champion becomes Intoxicated for 3 turns. If this equipment is removed from a Dwarf, they become Enraged 2 for 6 turns.

Intoxicated
    Dwarves gain +1 DEF, +4 HP. Brutes gain +1 dmg and +6hp. Constructs cannot become drunk. All other champions lose all AP at the end each turn.

While we are at it might as well show the changes to the Blacklabel Brew and one of our alcoholic enabling friends.

Blacklabel Brew
    Equipped champion gains +4 hp, 1 rank of Tough and is Intoxicated for 3 turns. At the start of your turns, this champion becomes Intoxicated for 3 turns. If this equipment is removed from a Dwarf, they become Enraged 3 for 6 turns.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

While on the topic of racials lets look into the changes for the Barbarians. As a race we really wanted to play up the whole clan/tribe theme of the Barbarians without subdividing the race. As a result the Barbarian racials have been consolidated into three (3) new Warchief abilities, so the old abilities Savage: Storm Clan, Savage: Stone Clan, Savage: Blood Clan, and Savage: Beast Clan are no more.

Warchief: Blood Clan
    This unit is fearless. At the end of your turn, this unit gains 1 rank of Rend (up to 3). If this unit dies and there is no other Blood Clan Warchief, the next nearest Barbarian becomes the Bloodclan Warchief.

Warchief: Stone Clan
    This unit is Unstoppable. At the end of your turn, this unit gains 1 rank of Tough (up to 3). If this unit dies and there is no other Stone Clan Warchief, the next nearest Barbarian becomes the Stone Clan Warchief.

Warchief: Storm Clan
    This unit has Iron Will. At the end of your turn, this unit gains 1 rank of Skylancer (This unit deals 10% more damage to units with Flying or Grounded) (up to 3). If this unit dies and there is no other Storm Clan Warchief, the next nearest Barbarian becomes the Storm Clan Warchief.

The general idea is that the Warchiefs get stronger the longer they are in play, but when they are slain another champion will take their place. As a result of this mechanic you benefit more from having different types of Warchiefs so as they die you can create a supreme Warchief who has all three of the abilities. This will hopefully encourage a more aggressive playstyle for Barbarian Battlegroups.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Spell: Wish

There have been several inquiries about Wish. From a design standpoint Wish is extremely broken and overpowered as a spell, and if it were to remain in it’s current state for the revamp it would be even more powerful. Wish will still be a powerful spell under the revamp, but it is going to serve a different function. It will now duplicate equipment, so you can do things like: deploy a negative effect equipment and cast Wish on an opponent, which would give them the same negative equipment.

[​IMG]

Now to finish up with some uplifting news. The ability Three wishes will still give a champion abilities, but they will now be the selected upgrades of the champion using the ability.

Three Wishes
    Target champion within 3 spaces gains all of its upgraded abilities. This ability is removed after 3 uses.New: Target champion within 3 spaces gains both of this units selected upgrade abilities. This ability is removed after 3 uses.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

An example of how this ability works if used by the Tundra Whisper is a champion targeted by Three Wishes will gain both Flight and Attack: Magical or which ever combination of upgrade abilities are chosen for Tundra Whisper.

Champion Specific Equipment

Lastly, back in preview eight (8) we showed you the changes made to Timothy the Vile especially regarding him the ability to summon Boghopper Zombies. As a result a very understandable question arose as to what was going to happen to Timmy’s equipment the Darkmarsh Blackstaff.

Before we get to the staff itself lets address our general view of equipment. Faction or race specific equipment we feel is great for promoting Battlegroup themes, but we aren't too keen on having equipment that is specific to one champion because it restricts the potential use and viability of that equipment. Why have a rune designed to only work well with only one other rune? With that said, we have plans in the future to go through and reassess equipment designed for specific champions, but we made the changes to Darkmarsh Blackstaff now because of the ability overlap with Timothy.

Darkmarsh Blackstaff
    Equipped champion gains Immunity - Magic and Defile Corpse. Forglar champions also gain race: Undead, and Boon of the Undead. Forsaken Waste champions also gain Amphibious and one rank of Leap
    [​IMG]

As always, things are still subject to change both pre and post revamp. We appreciate your continued patience. You just need to contain your excitement a little while longer.

Shimaru, Tweek516, GameJack and 10 others like this.
  2. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

Good! Ability pop ups are great, and the new revamped champions are nicer than the last ones.
    Staff looks powerful, if only BotU wouldn't resist poison damage

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  3. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

Nice! I think I can really get behind the change to champion-specific equips.

4. Xirone

Oh yeah, do you guys have plans yet for Crown of Petals? That gives equipped Fairies all their upgrades while taking the upgrades away from non-Fairies.

dsjtheman likes this.
  5. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

wow black staff is pretty OP makes me think of making fs bg now =p
    like the seperate pop ups the look nice

6. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

May I ask, is there any lore/reasoning as to why Brewmaster has Disease breath?

7. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

alcohol breath?
    and why does he have firebomb and disease breath that alot on a Thirst for battle rune

also how long more till the revamp gets started?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  8. Xirone

Cirrhosis of the liver?

GameJack likes this.
  9. Skullferno

Skullferno I need me some PIE!

Barbs look really scary now!

10. iPox

iPox Forum Royalty

What about Spare Parts?

Baskitkase likes this.
  11. Skullferno

Can the ability Skylancer be given to other champs? Perhaps Kartch?

12. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Everything looks awesome with the re-vamp but the barbarian's the theme was finally in a very cool state not played as much besides bastion but still viable. This re-vamp makes barbarians look not even tempting to play now.

13. GabrielQ

keep in mind that bremaster lost most of his identifying traits (rover: evasive, assault, punish, enrage, full brew bonus) that made him overlap too much with master axeman (I guess that's the reason for the change) and now it's just a TfB bomber that starts really low on damage.

14. Anotherblackman

Anotherblackman I need me some PIE!

While bastion can now effectively last hit more, he is now a final hit champion that will die because he is in range of 5 guys after he hits them.

Without rampage as an upgrade at least, playing him is now a lot more risky especially in a barbarian Battle group.

On a side note, Brew master looks like you take off a brew and he belches fire at you in anger and then throws up on you.

I like him.

DarkJello and dsjtheman like this.
  15. GabrielQ

the fire bomb is because he makes a molotov bomb with his 90% alcohol graduation beer

DarkJello likes this.
  16. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

That is still in the works.

The best lore description would be that he has Halitosis from being a drunk. Also, we didn't want to create a new ability called Barf. At least not yet :D

Joker, Goyo, Tarathil and 2 others like this.
  17. jeeperz2

jeeperz2 I need me some PIE!

Skylancer on bastion? Really?

18. Skullferno

So the ability Prestige is getting reworked? Cause if not, that gives a global that allows to shut down the ability distraction. Is it just me or does that sound a little OP?

19. Goodkeenan

Goodkeenan The King of Potatoes

Yeah I assume the firebomb is due to him making molotov cocktail brews and the disease breath is due to his smelly alcohol breath

20. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

The wording on the blackstaff is a bit confusing. Does it provide global abilities once equipped or does it only give the equipped champion boon/leap/amphibious depending on its faction?