First Impressions...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andralexis, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Tal3234

Tal3234 Devotee of the Blood Owl

Plains Savage 92 minimun nora cost.. ?? oh ...im veru sad... the mechanism is totally new... ( sorry ... i feel drunk,,., and sleepey )

IM VERY SAD :(
    nooo--

2. Tfguy

Tfguy Devotee of the Blood Owl

First impression:

Thanks Owls, Pox has practically become a new game with this revamp. This is exciting, because it will also challenge veterans to get used to the new system now. I am happy so far. :)

3. StupidJerk

StupidJerk I need me some PIE!

Stitched theme needs at least one unit with 7 speed, since everything was reduced to 6 and Hexer's speed upgrade was removed. Even Stitched Merged, with its ~130 nora cost, has only 6 speed. Now that Sarinda doesn't have death toll, they should give Stitchling 7 speed.

Other than that, Stitched seem to have made it out better than most. Is this true for other split faction themes?

4. MovnTarget

MovnTarget Forum Royalty

For the most part it seems like themes on the whole got pooped on.

5. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Big changes along the lines of the type of stuff you mentioned since the game launched:
    • Single player campaigns
    • 2v2
    • Twice the number of maps
    • Complete overhaul of the UI
    • Revamp of upgrade system, TWICE
    Maybe they aren't to your liking or standards, but to say that nothing substantial has changed is idiotic.

Grand General Mosh and Tarathil like this.
  6. Gwyndionnz

Gwyndionnz I need me some PIE!

My first impression is that there's way too much doom and gloom considering noone has had a chance to play multiple games in the new costing environment.

7. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

I'm playing some games to get a feel now, but jeez, many things are so way way way off. The shoebox is still giant, and actually got dozens of denizens.

8. Prami

Prami I need me some PIE!

Look
    Maybe, i mean... i wasn't around for the original game when it launched. But, do you really feel that the sort of list you just put out is worthy of 10 years of added content? I'm not here to argue, but you aren't convincing anyone. Your remaining player base wants substance you are not providing. Purely stat driven changes aren't going to cut it.

9. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

Lucky for you, we just reverted to that power level. You get to live it all over again.

10. StupidJerk

StupidJerk I need me some PIE!

Please keep in mind that there is no beta environment for this game. We are the beta testers, and the owls seem to love this game as much as we do. As long as we give them input on what works and what doesn't, I'm sure that they'll fix it over time.

newsbuff and Tarathil like this.
  11. Sokolov

For what has been an indie game for most of its life cycle and really didn't have a large development team even while under SoE? Hell yea, those are big changes. How many games gets so many new systems added on?

Oh, I forgot Tournaments and Drafting.

Tarathil likes this.
  12. allyorbase

allyorbase I need me some PIE!

Just don't play UD. Problem solved! The nerf bat was way too big, and way too reckless.

Also, since spells weren't really addressed, how can Owl justify increasing the cost of units by 15-20 on average? Now, it's about which faction has the best anti-champ spells, because your AoE4 nuke is suddenly a LOT more cost effective. I don't like that.

13. Sokolov

Non-champ rune updates are coming, but it's actually a good idea not to change non-champ runes until we see what the new baseline is for champions.

allyorbase, Tarathil and SPiEkY like this.
  14. Staxover

Staxover Member

The problem is not with the game changes. It is with player expectations mostly. We are used to powerful champs that controlled the board. Now, we do not get that same effect. We have to learn something new. I like new. But if I had to complain, which I am once, it would be that some Heroes no longer play as Heroes. A Hero is a game changer. Mena and Serkan are lost as Heroes.

15. Sepulcher

Sepulcher I need me some PIE!

Love how you're talking to sokolov like he's still lead developer. Zzzzzz

16. Prami

Sure... but wasn't Riot considered to be an indie developer before it became gargantuan? I play almost nothing but indie games, and they are amazing, innovative, and polished things. Poxnora just seems so... stitched together.
    You say indie like it's an excuse for lack of polish or content, but the likes of Fez, Antichamber, & NaissanceE (to name a few) would like a word with you.

Now that you mentioned indie games, let me just do a quick run down the list of what i have installed.
    • Last Dream
    • The Wolf Among Us
    • Gone Home
    • Child of Light
    • Fez
    • Antichamber
    • Basically anything from Daedelic Games
    • NaissanceE
    • The Banner Saga
    • Where is My Heart
    • Recettear
    • FTL
    • Long Live the Queen
    • T.O.M.E (a fantastic comparison to your lack of funding)
    • Zafehouse Diaries.
    • MLP - Fighting is Magic
    None of the studios behind these games let their lack of million dollar funding get in the way of their visions.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  17. Joker

Joker I need me some PIE!

exactly what i thought XD

18. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

Menalaus' Page 58 nora. o_O

Tarathil likes this.
  19. Sokolov

Yes, and Riot added almost nothing before LoL blew up, while developing a game for 4 years that is basically a clone of a mod with a team 10 times the size of Pox's original team. Also, Riot is an exception, most indie game companies start small and stay small. Smite, as another example, never really took off and only added/changed things after their Tencent acquisition.

I don't think indie means lack of polish or content. The point is that what was added is a lot of work for a small team, plus you really can't fault Pox for lack of content - it actually has a ton of it, especially when compared to stuff like Fez and Antichamber.

In any case, your original argument is that no substantial changes were made, when I listed substantial changes, you decided to change the argument to not enough changes, when I pointed out Pox has always had a small team, you now changed the requirement against to high level of polish required. If you keep moving the goal posts, sure, eventually you'll win the argument, but it won't be what you said originally.

Tejaila, enkiadu, Mercer Skye and 6 others like this.
  20. Prami

Right, but you listed things that feel like they should have been standard features from day 1, not additional content that was added on later. Like i said, i wasn't there for launch, but quoting tournament & draft, single player mission, and to a lesser extent 2vs2 as for extra content sounds a lot like a developer coming out 5 years after launch and announcing mouse support.

I'm not trying to marginalize anyone's efforts. I'm sure everything that has been done took much more effort than i am imagining (things always do). It's as you said, i've gotten use to a higher standard.

I'm trying out the revamp now, so I'll give you some first impressions of KF.