The State of Garu

Discussion in 'K'Thir Forest' started by Molosse, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Molosse

Molosse I need me some PIE!

Do Garu feel a tad gutted to anyone right now?

To begin with I must argue that the key role of Garu was simple and brutal damage/ap production, you stacked on your Motivates, your Berserker 3, your Warcry and your Battleleader, threw in some ap gen and rocked on. Now we can argue that:
    1) With the increased average cost of Garu to around 80/81 Motivate is less effective
    2) Garu Medium lost Cast: Ancestral Anger so no more on spot Beserker
    3) Fiorn lost Battleader and thus one of the main aspects of Synergy in Garu

So beyond anything else we can see that Garu increased in price and became less effective at their gameplay role.

Beyond this we can then look at the Garu ranged component who have also taken a hefty hit, both seeing cost increases with a remarkable increase from Garu Shaman. Garu Medium however has taken the nastiest hit, I can completely agree that in it's previous role (Pawn, summoning free meat, Cast: Ancestral Anger, better range, Essence Capture) it was too multi-faceted, it wasn't perfect at any one thing but it's toolset allowed it to be great at several which, yes, had to change. However the champion as is doesn't seem worth it, having gained:
    1) Less damage
    2) An increased cost
    3) Reduced range
    4) A straight 30% more damage taken from any ranged/melee attack
    5) A general shift about with upgrades leaving him with less to effectively choose from.

As I said I agree that he needed a hit but with the state he's in I struggle to see how runnable he is, though feel free to correct me.
    Compounding issues are of course Garu Hurler still remaining bloody awful without the redeeming factor of Cast: Ancestral/Battleleader to push him into viable levels, even with his limited range. Guarded: Garu, which while a nice touch doesn't seem to proc when it should for me.

In any case on average Garu became more expensive, less damaging and a tad slower with most sources of ranged alt damage being reduced in efficiency and have lost what I feel to be one of the major synergies they bring together, that of the stacking sources of damage that remained, in my view, separate and distinct from the post-revamp phalanx/Boost 3 crowd and the pre-revamp Boost 3 crowd.

Finally the removal of Hibernate off of many Garu was a decently big hit, being a predominantly melee theme, more so now, Hibernate allowed them to move about stealthed as a psuedo-counter to ranged, it gave them a quick cheap mobility and most importantly it gave Regen 3, which again helped the predominantly melee theme to make best use of their damage all for the drawback of having to remain pacified/immobile for a two rounds.

Despite all the doom and gloom above I think there are some good parts to the Revamp in regards to Garu, namely that of Alurite Brother being reduced in nora and allowing me to remove the sand-bag of Ally Is/St, now if only Arctic Garu became a split rune I could die happy.

Let me know what you think.

Edit/; Also I wish Hunter didn't spawn that big stupid bear for the other side, give him +15/20 nora, Detect on base and let me retire Solitary Garu for the much nicer Garu Hunter. Also nobody runs Arctic Garu in ST, make him a split rune and I'd bloody run him.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  2. Pico

Pico I need me some PIE!

When I get online I will try them out, I will try running the BG I ran beforehand and then make a new one after looking them all over.

From my point of view however I could see benefits from the nature of the revamp, but I also have seen what happened to a couple garu.

3. scrampy

scrampy I need me some PIE!

I was initially going to run garu BG post revamp but decided against it once I realized how bleak the BG looked :(

4. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

Ironically, the one Garu I wanted to see nerfed considerably was the Solitary Garu and that one almost didn't change. Those Solitary Garu decks were never fun.

RedScarlet likes this.
  5. Molosse

Molosse I need me some PIE!

See Solitary never needed much of a nerf, he was abuseable in one strict type of split BG and there was plenty of ways they could of got around it, the simplest being add Warding.

6. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

Good point, Warding would be just the right thing.

7. dsjtheman

dsjtheman I need me some PIE!

the medium was a cornerstone for Garu. i feel the changes to medium ***** garu more than any other change. they already hardly had any good range before... now its just laughable. but i still have hope for the theme. kodiak is still good... chosen is better now... lets just give it some time. maybe they have some new garu coming out that will help the theme.

8. kagebunshn

kagebunshn I need me some PIE!

garu got all nerfs and no buffs....considering there was really only a few semi-playable garu to begin with and those got heavily nerfed(dugon, fiorn, medium)that makes me sad.

I was very much hoping that garu or centaurs would get some much needed improvements.

super71 likes this.
  9. polltroy

polltroy I need me some PIE!

I think what was overlooked with Garu is the fact that they were powerfull in melee - because they are melee only. Low range made them look cheap nora wise, but it also öade them very vulnerable to long range. Thats where the stealth ability came in and as this is now mostly removed, it is even more difficult to play pure garu. Maybe in combination with prodigy it can still work.

RedScarlet likes this.
  10. RedScarlet

RedScarlet I need me some PIE!

ailurite as you said in the first post, is efficient when you consider his stats and can also be packed with +1spd from pounce 3. The most stressful thing is that he gets +1spd from FF KF, that's already another 8 space movements first turn. For 74 Nora (pounce 3 + Ally: IS or ST), in FF KF, and a banner out... you get....14DMG, 7SPD (8 if u count Pounce 3), 1-1RNG, 1DEF, 62HP. I think that's a very good deal for someone tanky who can jump around.

You can include Snare Fairy or Sarnghavian Centaur for proccing Ally: ST or IS, which would also proc Circle Messenger's, but still retain a +1SPD FF KF bonus.

and garu shaman's divert + paralyze build is super annoying he feels like voil jester. I mean, he gets 7 speed from accrue first turn, then he gets 8 spd when you play FF KF. For 76 nora, sure he's no jester, but +2SPD (jester's 6 spd vs this guy's Accrue+FF KF to 8SPD), I think its quite fair when you compare it to a lot of other thematical nerfs.

When you compare garu's to other nerfs, I'd say garu didn't get gutted too much and still playable.

11. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

Just checking, what do you guys consider the theme for Garu to be?

Because the initial post sounds like they are basically Barbarians.

12. Pico

Pico I need me some PIE!

They are big scary bruiser types. being bulky but also dishing out fairly high damage. Their greatest weapon is being able to use ghetto-stealth to escape stressful situations or two initiate a strong fight.