Dat Mountain Sentry buff.........

Discussion in 'Ironfist Stronghold' started by JazzMan1221, Mar 8, 2014.

1. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

People gonna start runnin' dis chicken, or wut?

Cuz I will be.

EDIT: OMG, Turret Team got buffed too!!!!

<3 you bakki :D

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
    rickyjpen and soulmilk like this.
  2. Grand General Mosh

Grand General Mosh Devotee of the Blood Owl

I'm sorry, WHAT about Turret Team now?? o_o

3. JazzMan1221

Turret Team, as in one of the most useless runes in IS, is now one of the best options for Constructs. I so happy!

4. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Well they kinda messed up on turret team because the turret team ability, since it could not be adjusted from total failure, was to be removed. Otherwise, he's supposed to fulfill some of strux mid ranged issues, he's manicable but also has 2-7.

5. Axeraiser

Axeraiser I need me some PIE!

Meh chicken is underwhelming, in terms of detection, UV is still better. In terms of a font harasser, Ironfist Agent does it better for 2 nora more.

6. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Are TT and Chicken the only two that received buffs? Most factions are reporting 4-6 units.

7. Rapidice

Rapidice I need me some PIE!

I'm glad I keeped my Turret Team all this time, rigth before the DOG change I almost traded it in Poxbox for some stuff.

8. Anotherblackman

Anotherblackman I need me some PIE!

With what Im reading, Turret teams turret abilities have 1 cooldown.

I might make a killer bg if that is the case.

9. JazzMan1221

This is exactly the type of mindset players should NOT have: using spells to do the job of champions. Certainly, if you're facing a stealth-heavy deck, UV comes out on top in terms of efficiency. But what if it's just one or two lone stealth units causing the trouble? It's hardly worth spending 35 nora when you have chicken already in play to do that for you. Perhaps it's just laziness; "meh, I don't really feel like exerting mental effort to predict where my opponent will put his units; I'll just use UV, hurp derp!" That's what you sound like right now. UV will never be as useful as an actual detection champ, and the fact that chicken also comes with anti-equip and stealth of its own makes me even more confused as to why you'd prefer UV. It's a spell for lazy noobs who don't care about strategic thinking, or thinking at all even. As far as font harassers go, Agent has its own perks, and in Dwarves I will probably run Agent over chicken. In goodstuff, chicken can still find a home as a viable utility rune.

10. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

Both UV and detection units have their perks, but I would always try to include a detection unit before trying UV, and chicken has stealth + detection, wich is really nice as a combination. I still think that mounted hawkmaster is the meta detection unit for IS

11. Legato

Legato I need me some PIE!

Want to know the beauty of a game with this many runes?
    Not everyone has to run the same thing. In fact, we usually consider it a call to attention when such is the case.

You like a rune, great. Others still likes something else. Why does that somehow beget a need to impose what YOU like onto them. Will it somehow validate your preference? Will you like it less- unless everyone agrees with you? Jeez Jazz. Someone likes UV, and they 'don't like thinking at all.'

12. only

only Active Member

Fire Barbarian

13. Axeraiser

No need to be so aggressive Jazz. I of course prefer champ options over spells hence why Ive been hoping we could get a decent detection champ for the longest time. HTe chicken pretty much only detects. It has low damage, low hp and no other notable abilities. Anti equip is kind of useful, but pretty much every IS deck I make these days has at least 3 anti equip champs already.

The reason I think UV is superior is that if you have no detection champs out, people tend to get aggressive with their stealthed unit, manoeuvring it close to your champs to do something the following turn, then BAM ! UV and the champ is dead. Where as with the chicken they will know you have detection out and will not play so aggressively.

The reason I don't think the chicken buff was so great is when compared to other factions detection options he just looks Bane Shift, every faction basically has a champ that is like a swiss army knife, multiple uses then just has Detection tacked on, i.e. Boghopper Huntmaster, where as the chicken is JUST a detection champ.

And calling me a lazy noob incapable of thought ? You realise i have been a top 10-5 rank player for the best part of a decade on this game ? Not that rank has meant anything for quite a while what with the low player base and ridiculous powercreep but still , throwing around such needless insults makes you look a tad bit silly.

14. JazzMan1221

So here's the thing: UV is a point-and-click counter spell, and it's impossible to deny this. That's all UV does is counter stealth with a simple drag of the mouse. By running UV as one's only means of detection, that player is saying "I like my games to be easy. If there's a problem, I want it solved with as little effort as possible". This is what UV, Drown, Domi and any other spells/abilities that require nothing more than hand movements do. They cater to players who have as little time as possible, and who play with as little thought as possible.

All this being said, I understand where Legato is coming from. People like different runes, and that's fine by me. Hell, anyone who knows me can attest to the fact that I've made it my life's mission to find and play underrated and underused runes. I get comments all the time such as "dude, why would you run that, it's terrible!". I just shake my head sadly at these individuals, because they simply cannot fathom running anything that's not FoTM or blatantly overpowered. Most of these individuals have no mind of their own, and blindly follow whomever is at the top, in an effort to appear just as skilled and important as the pros.

Now, I like to win as much as the next guy, but it's never been my main goal while playing Pox. My main (and perhaps only) goal has been to have fun. Other people like to have fun too, but our methods usually differ in that regard. If person X has fun running nothing but goodstuff, more power to them; I won't interfere. What I will NOT abide are players who run only the very best of the best runes and go on to boast, or even merely claim, that they are skilled players. Note that I am not naming names here, nor am I implying that Axeraiser is that type of person. But whenever I see someone mention that they only run runes in the same line as UV (i.e. those that take no more strategic thinking beyond clicking and dragging), I do get a bit irritated.

I used the term "lazy noob" quite loosely to describe the aforementioned type of player, because traditionally these types of players have always been attracted to runes like UV. And similarly, these are the types of players whom I have no respect for. If someone wants to run UV, go right ahead, but the inherent design of the rune is such that I frown upon such activity very severely. It's part of who I am, and always will be. I was not so much criticizing Axeraiser specifically, but rather those types of players. I am aware that Axeraiser is not at all in the "lazy noob" category, and this more than anything is why I spoke so harshly. It is BECAUSE he is not a lazy noob that I expected more from him, and his above post served to clear up several of my misconceptions about his choice in runes. So thank you for that, Axe.

Getting back to Battle Chicken, I feel (and sincerely hope) that he represents a new age in rune development, where a champion is confined only to a single role, and we have a great deal less of those swiss-army-knife-type champs running around. I hope, for the sake of the game, that more runes like Battle Chicken will be made in the future, and that current detection runes will be brought down to his power level rather than the reverse.

IceHippo and JaceDragon like this.
  15. Axeraiser

Good post, I agree with you that hard counters that require no more than a click of a button are bad for the game. When we get a decent detection champ I will happily remove UV from my BGs.

16. TheNidhogg

TheNidhogg I need me some PIE!

4-6 changes total: 2 nerfs, 2 buffs, possible change to legendary was the stated format.

17. JaceDragon

JaceDragon I need me some PIE!

the chicken now is pretty viable imo.

18. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Nid can attest to the fact that I had been pushing detection on base for IS stuffs for quite some time. I don't personally like crutch runes and UV is one of them. This rune was redesigned to maybe (IF, and notice the if is big, you wanted to use it) to help pull weight and attractiveness away from UV and Vator.

I was trying to make a good utility unit that could be thrown I to any deck. Stealth, detection, mobility, anti range, anti equip, damage support, 7 speed flying, there is a lot of good stuff here.

I do think that giving him Sentry Rank 3 on base and maybe the Confuse ability on Ups would make him perfect, but its a really solid unit.

19. Dresnar20365988

Dresnar20365988 Devotee of the Blood Owl

Attractiveness from Vator was taken care of another way. RIP Excavator.

The chicken was good before IMO. He's better now.

20. only

only Active Member

pretty much new auto include. mark + retreat + instill panic new powerturn.