New to SP

Discussion in 'Shattered Peaks' started by dragonistear, Jul 24, 2014.

1. dragonistear

dragonistear I need me some PIE!

So basically, about a week ago, I was like: "Hmmm, I think its time for me to buy an avatar."

And since I wasn't devoted to any particular faction (though I played SL the most), I decided to random.org and I happen to roll SP. And so, after sifting through my measly collection and figuring out that Slags are hard to make a deck out of, Voils are expensive to build, and hardly anyone uses cyclops (or at least post on them in forums), I decided to run Hyaenids.

My first draft:
    http://poxbase.com/deck/cfAckxCaDCaFcuFcaGcaHc5TCfPcgHcfOCfIs5Qs1ks3ts6Ys7IS82r2YR2ZrOe1Qe1fe1j

Tested it a bit. Didn't really like Hyaenid Pack Leader, so I switched it for a Spearman who I liked better.

-1 Hyaenid Pack Leader
    +1 Hyaenid Spearman

Hyaenids kind of start slow, with most champs at 6 SPD. I kind of like Peaks Marid, Peaks Ifrit, and Feshwrangler for these are basically able to bypass terrain, and boast 8/7/7 SPD using their abilities (or for Ifrit's case, on base). Not drawing those makes contesting fonts hard... especially when I go second.

Finding Spirit Channelling kind of useless. Haven't taken it out yet but I'm not too happy with it right now.

Anyways, I'll just keep posting what I find out about Hyaenids. Feel free to give me advice. Especially if I make a stupidly clear judgment error.

Thanks all!

2. dragonistear

Man I just lost to the SP daily... I need more AoE's :(

Or... maybe i just need to focus better. Somehow I didn't even lose a unit the second time around...

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  3. dragonistear

Played a few games with St3ck and got pretty wrecked.
    Game One: Mirror Match BG, I basically overextended top, opened up bottom font for free, and lost fights across the map. Realized how good Hyaenid Spiritspeaker is at contesting fonts and 1v1ing opponents.

Took out Spirit Channeling since I wasn't using it so much, and replaced it for Vertical Push for plays (font contesting, removing dangerous champs, etc.)

-1 Spirit Channeling,
    +1 Vertical Push

Game Two: Played his Cyclops deck. Couldn't manage to one turn his monsters. Still not completely sure what I was supposed to do. Did stupidly walk into a double totem on two champions and basically lost both.

Game Three: Played a basic SL deck with some runes I've never seen before. It was looking good at the beginning. Took 2 fonts early, and denied font on bottom. Midgame I majorly derped, tried to save Spearman by pulling it off the denied font and ended up giving that font over. Then went all in on a group of champs in the middle of the map, and got the top font taken.

Thoughts:
    Need to pay more attention to what is going on. Contesting fonts are important. Hyaenids don't have fast champions/dueling is kind of harder. Kind of need to learn to position myself better and focus fire.

4. allyorbase

allyorbase I need me some PIE!

I would lose the Peaks Dao. It's not good right now. At all.
    Add another Mundunugu. Those things are absolutely x2 in Hyaenid BGs.

Also, sidenote: I don't like the Jinn subtheme. It doesn't work that well. A few of the Jinn are decently good, but I consider Serf more of a pratfall than a boon. Anyway, I only run a few Jinn with my nids, and only because of Surge: Hyaenid (maybe 1 Marid and 1 Ifrit). Otherwise, they just waste a potential for Dogpile stacks and other debuffs the nids are known for.

5. dragonistear

I've only included Djinns for purposes that can't be fulfilled by other units.
    Marid is my only 8 SPD champion (6 with tele, +2 movement). I think rnnning 2 is great even though it doesn't dogpile. I treat them as font contester, range DD, and supplies a DoT that I can use executioner to execute (that being said, I'm going to try getting a second executioner since its so strong). Ifrit is a 7 SPD flier that I honestly could just not have. But its tankyness and immunity to physical damage which a lot of melee units are seems very valuable to me right now. Again, I might take it out later if i see something better.

I'm kind of not liking Dao right now. Its very situationally good, but mostly its an overcostly, low damage dealer, weak tank that is just outclassed mostly by pack leader. I've thus made the switch.

-1 Peaks Dao
    +1 Hyaenid Pack Leader

I'll update on how I feel about the Pack Leader now. If I'm still not really using it, then I'll change it for a mundunugu. I'm currently not sure why that is a 2x of. I feel like I rarely use them in comparison to headshrinker, or spearmans. Maybe I'm not playing it right?

6. dragonistear

7. SaintKiwi

SaintKiwi I need me some PIE!

Do tell! When will they do the sp patch?

8. TheBulwark

TheBulwark I need me some PIE!

Today?

9. TheBulwark

TheBulwark I need me some PIE!

Words are wind Dmr! :p

10. WraithxxV

WraithxxV Active Member

OP, congratulations on choosing the most unique and wierd faction in poxnora. And in true SP flavor, you chose it at random.

Anyways, your deck looks decent, I'm not a fan of Pack Leader or Bulwark, but they're not useless by any means. Nids are a kind of tough theme to play, can't really 1v1 strong units, and a lot of their strength comes from using several units together, so they take some getting used to. Keep playing, and try to learn from each game, you'll figure em out soon. Good luck! :D

dragonistear likes this.
  11. dragonistear

@WraithxxV What would you replace Pack Leader/Bulwarks with? I find Bulwark a tad bit expensive, but it was at least doing what I expected from it, tanking quite well.
    And of course, the only real reason why I use Pack Leader again is because i discovered that it had 7 Spd so thats quite nice... other than that, I too am not too fond of it.

12. allyorbase

x2 Mundunugus. Rabid + Dogpile applies a total of 3 debuffs, which is awesome with Executioner around, and Metamorphosis is one of the best abilities in the game -- with Stall being among the top 10 best abilities in the game, also (IMO). She's also ranged, and relatively cheap, all things considered.

13. WraithxxV

WraithxxV Active Member

Well, I run Klub, because otherwise Colossals will screw you (heck, they will even with Klub). The other change is a Stalker, but that guy isn't very good, I just run him out of habit, and -1 spell for a Peaks Dao (I like him, but as others said he's not great now, so up to personal preference).

14. dragonistear

Wow, it's been quite a while.

Anyways, I feel like changing my bulwark into an Executioner... waiting for enough PB points to do so though... the process is quite slow.

i see how good Mundunugu is... but i really don't know what to switch out for it.

How hard is it for me to deal with colossals? (Does Death Sentence take reduced damage too?) How relevant are colossals that i need to find a counter for them?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  15. allyorbase

As with most things in Pox, Collosals won't usually be a problem, but if you aren't prepared for them, it could lose you the whole match, easy. It just so happens that almost every faction has a Colossal champ, and every single one is meta, except for the Forest Giant.

Have at least one or two good 2x2 units in your BG. 2x2s that are cheap and versatile are best. SP has a LOT of options, there. For starters, you have Klub and the Cyclops Primal. The primal is amazing for his cost. I keep him in my BG for the Initiative and Magic resistance. It comes in VERY handy.

16. dragonistear

Cool, Klub is hard to get as I'm aiming for Executioner RN and don't want to spend too much. Is there other options besides Primal?

I really wish poxbase allows us to do comprehensive searches. Makes asking these kind of questions not really needed anymore.

17. allyorbase

Primal is common, and trust me: you at least need to try him out before dismissing him!
    People run the Pit Wolf for detection and anti-Colossus. I never liked him, but he's cheap and really beefy.
    Sauropod is too expensive now, IMO. Just not worth it, but then, I may be wrong.
    Some folks are running a Savage Boar with Charge 3 and either Slam or Berserk Attack. Without an overseer around, he's still pretty efficient, and can take a beating. Hostile + Berserk Attack gives him +9 damage, net, so he's got a "rigged" 15 DMG every other round, plus the bonus +3 damage from Charge 3. 56 nora. Not the worst option on a budget.

18. dragonistear

I was looking at:
    Drudge Cyclops with multi-attacker and way less nora, and drudge to keep in check power turns the opponent might be planning
    Mountain Lion for Cheap Cost + 7 SPD
    Cyclops mauler for 15 Dmg, Execute, and Pummel and way less Nora
    Pit Wolf for Rabid and Detection

Wasn't dismissing Primal, just wanted to see the alternates to compare him with.
    I like Encouraged in a Hyaenid BG because the amount of attacks that are done.
    I jsut don't know how reliable it is compared to others at doing its job of slaying colossals.

Actually want to try out Primal just because of encouraged. But another important thing is: Does Executioner's Death Sentence still do the same thing against a colossal unit? Because if it does, then I might choose something else with more utility since I can easily stack 8-9 things which would proc 45 free damage on a unit.

19. RoachKing

RoachKing The King of Potatoes

Death Sentence works normally against Colossal champs. You should also try State of Confusion, it removes upgrades and a majority of Colossal champs have the ability colossal as an upgrade.

20. dragonistear

Hmmm, apparently half the colossal champions actually have it on base. Though this includes Forest Giant which from an above post I take that no one uses anyways? Maybe the other colossal on base isn't used either?

But yeah if death sentence is there then i can just execute them after putting a few attacks on them. Also will probably get a Cyclops though. Be a little safe :p.