Poxinomics- Forgable legendaries

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chickenpox2, Sep 7, 2014.

1. polltroy

polltroy I need me some PIE!

Leave the legendary runes non-shardable, but make them so they are not key runes for themes or over powerfull runes. Make them so they are complex and situational, but have some unique aspectwho give possibilty to some unique tricks. Make them so the new players dont even want them. The more common runes shouldnbe the simple powerfull ones that the newbiesneed in the beginning. Only after gaining certain high skills you should be able even to appreciate leg runes. By then usually u already got a few by chance. Let the Hero rubes be the overpowerfull runes instead and make them semi accessible, like exotics. Also maybe limit the njmber of heroes per BG or make sure there is just one per theme at least.

2. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

3. Entrepidus

Entrepidus I need me some PIE!

This is all at once biased, ignorant, selfish and unfounded. I could just as easily make the unsupported claim that rewarding the use of SF BGs would "mean the return of the 100's of [SF] strategy gamers who have already quit because of [factionalism] nonsense." The word "zealot" exists for a reason. I don't understand why this is an either/or situation; why not support both?

4. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

As I responded in another post this is all that has been discussed about this subject.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  5. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

tcg games are predicated on the concept of imbalance. you buy packs hoping the RNG gods are good to you and you get some 'good' cards, so you can field a 'better' deck than your opponent. strategy games are predicated on the concept of balance, you field armies of equal power or created with the same set of constraints and its the player with the better 'strategy' who wins.

poxnora tries to be a tcg/strategy hybrid. This might work if the factions were balanced with respect to each other. a tough job. lets say for the sake of argument that the devs are able to accomplish this. now introduce split decks. the ability to mix and match any card in the game. it completely tosses out the idea of balanced factions. such a thing is anathema to a strategy gamer. thus the supposition that strategy gamers have left pox for this reason is founded. and subsequently if it were to be rectified, that they might return, equally founded.

I know some players enjoy split decks. some players enjoy powercreeped runes too. some players also enjoy being on the winning end of a lopsided trade. and some players enjoy abusing bugs. it really doesn't bear on this line of reasoning though. strategy gamers want fair and balanced gameplay and split decks are a barrier to that.

6. Entrepidus

Entrepidus I need me some PIE!

You've conveniently ignored the fact that a SF BG limits you to 15 of each faction. This is a huge deal and places considerable constraint upon the "ability to mix and match any [rune]." You can't take your favorite FF BG, sprinkle a few runes from another faction over it and call it good. You also can't pull together any runes you want because you're restricted to just two factions. Yes, a SF BG has increased flexibility due to pooling the resources of two factions, but deciding what combination of those resources you'll use isn't ezmode. You don't mash two factions together, faceroll a name into your BG and pubstomp your way to the top.

Having further explained yourself, I can agree with some of the points you've raised, but I definitely don't agree that SF BGs are a barrier to balanced play. Their presence does make balance less straightforward, but I don't agree they have to be sacrificed for Pox to succeed. I'll ignore the implied similarities with abuse of powercreep, trading and bugs, though.

GameJack and Sirius like this.
  7. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

You couldn't even change legionaries in your quoted post?

8. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

Mostly this. The thing is, both you and Ragic are sorta right.

FF decks don't allow as much flexibility. They lock you into a group of runes, isolated from the rest, as far as your deckbuilding is concerned. This sucks because it kills variation and in case you like some playstyle that is more like between factions and you can't get it in FF, you're screwed. For a player like me, this matters a lot (it is the reason I don't play Cardfight Vanguard in case any of you heard of it; you can basically only play with cards from a single clan). HOWEVER, isolated factions are easier to balance.

Split decks are harder to balance but offer a much richer game. In theory, the way to balance FF vs Splits is to make FF strong in a more specialized way, while making splits be powerful by making use of the flexibility granted by larger rune pools. For example, imagine a particular faction is bad at dealing with swarms of creatures. A player can either elect to be very powerful at what the faction is good at, winning most of the time and even maybe forcing a win vs the hypothetical swarms, OR they can elect to split with a faction that fits the deck's idea and offers anti-swarm.

Faction Bonuses might partially work in that way. They are a lame way of adding a bit more power to FF compared to splits. The issue as I see it is that limiting deckbuilding to FF might be easier to handle by the current devs, so it might be a good choice in that way. BUT because we currently are allowed Splits I'm not sure players would accept that. Even more than that, I'm not sure new players would stick around in a game restricted so much (they might though, idk).

GameJack likes this.
  9. heroex7777

heroex7777 Lord of ST

i have like nothing and when the sharder worked for like 10 minutes i got 5k shards

10. Ragic

I suppose. His point is that he likes split decks, he IS right about that. My point is split decks are bad for the game and I AM right about that. So I guess you're right too. Welcome to the club.

11. Sirius

Well, what I meant to say is that IF the devs can't handle splits (I am sure it's not necessarily impossible), then maybe they should change to FF only. Question is, can they handle them or not? And if they can't and make the change, will it really still be an enjoyable enough game for a sufficient amount of people (in order to, you know, have a successful game)?

But hey, who knows, maybe the game can simply thrive as is, by simply buffing/nerfing runes constantly and just trying to maintain a somewhat level playing field for all. Steam relaunch will tell, I guess.

12. Ragic

do we have a successful game now? seems like split decks got their fair shake. lets give ff play a try.

13. Sirius

Oh, I see. We disagree on the main cause of the game's lack of success. I think it comes mostly from the steep learning curve, combined with lack of rune accessibility not allowing people to experiment. It's just not easy, nor enjoyable to get into this game.

Personally, I stick around because it's the kind of board game I like (and don't know many alternatives) and I don't wanna play chess instead. But the card game aspect constantly makes me wanna leave because of how hard it is to try stuff to see what fits (I am very picky).

14. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

It's like chess but much more complicated and all your champions are pawns

15. Sirius

Nope, it's much simpler than chess actually. It's less abstract and has a nice visual/flavor/lore side to it. Also, in chess you start with all possible strategies available to you and so does the opponent. In Pox, you narrow it down through deckbuilding - your deck can only do so much, however you push it.

16. hsssh

hsssh The King of Potatoes

When I started playing one of the main reasons why I didn't leave after couple of weeks was the fact that building "workable" split deck was easier than FF. Easier not in a sense that "just take top cards from each faction", but that it was much cheaper financially. Eventually I transitioned into FF UD and... stopped playing due to other reasons.

17. Ragic

when you started playing the runes available to each faction were very limited. today that problem no longer exists.

18. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

you are talking about up to exo but legs and limited are difficult to find

19. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I would rather see splits kept around, but faction bonuses adjusted to be greater for full faction over half. It would require a revamp of bonuses all around, as not all can be done this way currently.

For example, ST full faction bonus is 10hp, half is 5 hp. Change the half to be 2-3 HP.

20. allyorbase

allyorbase I need me some PIE!

I am all for any rune being attainable, but sets should be looked at piecemeal. Midterm Legends should be the most affordable, because they weren't all that expensive to begin with, and most of them are only decent-to-good. The 150Ks should be the next-most affordable, because they tend to be decent-to-great and many of them are important theme enablers. They should absolutely be attainable. Last up should be Limited runes -- all of them. Limited runes were limited and "limited" means something -- or, it should. If they are ever available, it should cost an arm and a leg, or two.

HOWEVER: the OP's pricing structure is ridiculously cheap. 1000 shards is equal to the cost of two run-of-the-mill EXOs. No way can you put the Angel of Pain on the same shelf as a set of two Blinding Flashes. Sacrifice 200 Uncommon runes and get a Korona?? Shhhhhhhhhhhhh***t.

I fully support the heart of the OP, but the pricing is crazynuts. I spent literally years saving gold to craft Korona. I'm not gonna be happy to see some dude sacrificing a handful of crap rares and EXOs and getting one. :|

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014