Pox is not for the new generation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rogreborn, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

What standard exactly?

2. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

someone who understands the game well enough to have attained high rank. although it tends to be cited as a required credential on topics that don't seem to be related to gameplay, but im curious about the rules regardless.

3. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

And I appreciate your efforts. I really do. What I (and others) have been blasting the last couple of weeks is that the timing is off.

Remember the graph I posted? It showed progress. You (DoG) have made tremendous progress in the amount of time you've had based on the amount of resources you had. I wouldn't dare fault you there.

But my (and others), and Michal's concern is that you have more to do yet before a steam release can be successful.

And we WANT you to be successful.

This is a perspective coming from everyone who was here during the previous Steam release and had our hearts blown out by its dramatic failure.

Those same things that the Steamers put in their goodbye posts are still here!

• NUX was terrible - you're making progress here, awesome progress, woohoo!!
    • Accessibility - again, progress here, I'm not sure that you're near close enough (read the dread portrayed in Michal's post at having to face our 5 year collections)
    • Trading - at last steam release, we had all given up on trading, new guys were like "hey your trading is terrible!" and we were like, yeah, it is, so sorry.
    • Gold/Grinding/Singleplayer - ties into accessbility but deserves mentioning on its own. "welcome to Pox, you're new, expect to grind for months before you can even field a deck".
    • Balance - Big one here! There was just too much imbalance and creep of different types going off in every direction.
    • Complexity - the learning curve. Sometimes I play my whole turn during the first or last 15 seconds just to make it difficult to follow, I did this versus a steamer (before I realized he was new) and then spent probabaly 30 minutes just talking about that one turn and how all the runes worked together.
    This is a huge red flag waving proud right in front of our face.

If Gedden decided to delay steam launch you wouldn't be ridiculed, heckled or thought negatively of, you'd be applauded.

It almost seems like you guys have agreed upon some sort of contractual release date because there is just no way you (people at DoG) could read all this and not see the truth.

4. Pedeguerra

Ok Ragic, going off topic again but Im waiting for the rush traffic to clear, so I will bite.
    That "standard" you created for yourself is flawed for a couple of reasons:

1) "Understanding the game well enough to have attained high rank" isnt exactly the same as "attaining high rank". Also, let's say "high rank" is top 25. Have you ever done it?
    2) If you passed the first "requirement", the other one is consistency, which can only be measured by the amount of times you have stayed inside the so called "high rank", because rank resets often brings people who are really, really bad to become BM for a day;
    3) Since the above is hard to figure out due to timezone differences and whatnot, theres a third requirement Id say is the amount of games played in rank. Anyone with more than 1k Ranked games probably has enough knowledge of the meta to make valid assumptions, even if their win rate is terrible.

This of course has nothing to do with Pox per se, but only to continue a pointless discussion.

5. Ragic

top 25 is setting the bar quite high, sure youre safe enough there? sure you don't want to go top 10? rank 26-50 doesn't qualify to discuss the game? really? or how bout top 75 when it was competitive? do we need to factor in number of games too? whats the made up number there. I just want to know the algorithm you guys use to narrow it down to only a handful of players qualified to discuss the game. im sure its a fascinating equation full of imaginary numbers.

6. Pedeguerra

Oh yeah, its definetely a fascinating equation full of imaginary numbers, no doubt. However, we have all played with/against all these "handful of players qualified to discuss the game" over the years (and Im pretty sure its not only a handful), and due to our small community its easy to point out if he/she has a good grasp on balance and whatnot, even if said player isnt high ranked.
    I have no idea why you are bringing this topic, though, we werent even talking about that.

7. Elves Rule

Elves Rule I need me some PIE!

I have no idea if we're still saying ages by this point, but I'm 15. I have been using this account for 2-3 years now. I found this game god knows when, but I remeber at one point the default deck was only K'thir, and at another point it was K'thir/UD.
    Also, i attempted to get my dad to play this game. He gave up. So... nice theory?

Lushiris likes this.
  8. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

We do it as frequently as we can.

There would be ridicule either way.

To address your points.
    1. Yes we are doing much more for improving the New User Experience.
    2. Accessibility will always be an ongoing endevor, but this is the one of the major focuses of what we are doing for Steam.
    3. Trading - The persistent chat tab for the Bazaar in all lobbies is one improvement. Also, we want the Forge to be more of the go to tool for runes than Trading, and as Gedden stated the Q&A working on the forge values and introducing Legendary runes to the crafting system are one of the next big tasks. This also affects accessibility.
    4. Balance as you said a Big One not only in the importance but size of the task at hand. We don't want to change too much at once and cause just a shift in power from certain builds to others over actually achieving some sort of relative balance. Gedden has a lot of plans as part of the next expansion, but the Steam launch needs to come before that because then players will be able to use their Steam wallet to purchase runes for the expansion. Alternative payment options are another issue all of you have brought up and we want to get them in.
    5. Complexity and learning is another part of what is in the Steam release. Giving players the ability to play against Bots who are actually using Decks players use in PvP is one such improvement, but also the paced progression of the New User Experience and with rewards is another.
    Much of the improvements being made are brand new systems and once they are in then we can tweak them as needed. Some of which can not be fully known until the new people from Steam start playing. If the game could be made flawless within a reasonable amount of time we would to it, but games are an iterative medium. There will always be something more that needs to be tweaked or added to make the game perfect or ideal. At some point the trigger needs to be pulled. We could have relaunched as part of the launch of the Midterm expansion or the Revamp, but the call was made to give it more time.

Boozha, jeeperz2, DarkJello and 2 others like this.
  9. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Good stuff, @Senshu and I recognize your progress in those areas. I just think you should allow yourself more time to continue these efforts. I'll leave this horse to his death.

10. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

You didn't answer the one question i was interested in.

Do you have a launch deadline or you are all like "huh i think this boat will float"?

11. Senshu

It is a bit of a moving target because things need to be coordinated with Steam. More details will be released when they become available. There are also other factors involved that we can't talk about at this point in time.

Sunutsu and Kampel like this.
  12. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

Senshu, Sunutsu, Kampel and 1 other person like this.
  13. Senshu

I knew someone was going to make a joke about that. 73 Fictional forum points for being first.

We have plans, but things have changed over the years with Steam. There are more and more new releases every day, and all of them want to be featured. We will do everything in our power to maximize the Steam platform.

14. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Maybe this answers the question:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/funforge/tokaido-collectors-edition

This is a Collectors edition Kickstarter for a board game that is already out. People gave them 670k to REMAKE a game released in 2012.

15. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

But I thought since I was an LL that I was good?

16. Ragic

17. Koredar

Koredar The King of Potatoes

I was about 15-16 I think when I started Pox (came across an ad in InQuest Gamer), that was many many years ago (24 now for reference)

Lushiris likes this.
  18. jeeperz2

jeeperz2 I need me some PIE!

Player base hasn't grown due to the fact we had like 4 different lead devs with Sony who all did what they wanted to do, when one dev did something and had pox going towards a certain way another dev would take the wheel after and do a complete turn in the opposite direction. I don't think you will see so much switching with DoG but its now on them to take the bullets out of the gun Sony loaded in.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  19. Koredar

Koredar The King of Potatoes

Or rather take the bullets from Pox's barely twitching body and use some voodoo or necromantic magicks on it.

20. rogreborn

rogreborn Devotee of the Blood Owl

We should call this Pox 2. Re-release on steam. Target the Asian gaming market with ads. Profit.