What made you decide to keep playing Pox?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sepulcher, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Nothing like it, and I already spent so much money on it.

2. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

2d turn based RPG -> Fell in love -> Couldn't afford runes, left in tears

Came back -> Afforded some runes -> Got pissed of by powercreep, gifted everything away

Came back -> Revamp -> Afforded more runes than before -> Love and hope

Tweek516, hfok, Etherielin and 2 others like this.
  3. Sepulcher

Sepulcher I need me some PIE!

For everyone saying "Nothing like it", etc. -

When did you realize there was nothing like this game? Curious about moments that struck you, or sudden epiphanies... Or was it a gradual realization, or did you know it going in? (i.e. look at the website, see "Oh! TCG + miniatures + online PvP! *brain explodes*")

Yeah, same here. It was realizing the game's depth that ultimately attracted me. Once I saw the game being played at its full potential and found out that the dudes up top (at the time, people like Krellen, sinwind, etc.) had a high level of skill. It was pretty aspirational.

4. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

I was specifically looking for a turn based fantasy strategy game. I was burned out on realtime strategy and wanted to play a game on the pc that was like playing a fantasy table top wargame, without the ridiculous entry fee. I think I had just fiinished playing one of the Disciples games and was wishing the combat were more tactical.

5. Sealer0

Sealer0 I need me some PIE!

Forglar Swamp and Sundered Lands are some of the most unique factions I played in a fantasy game. The artwork, unique characters, myriad of different units and setups you could - and still can - do, even the sprites and spell effects in game made me completely fall for this game.

6. Sealer0

The first time I played the game and saw the myriad of options to customize hundreds of units.

There is still nothing like it, btw. The closest you get is MtG and Warhammer 40k and its dervations.

7. XFurionsX

XFurionsX I need me some PIE!

there^
    And reminds me one of my favorite games, heroes of might and magic.

GameJack likes this.
  8. what made me keep playing pox? you... @Sepulcher you and your guide to the underdepths way back when. I was only interested in playing UD at the time, and back then it was a loosing battle cause UD was horrendously under powered for those that didn't know how to use it right. but your guides kept me interested. I have since branched out and on a limited basis play other factions and themes but only because you were what kept me from giving up on the steep learning curve.

Sepulcher and Baskitkase like this.
  9. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

Watching games between Shazara/Soulfear are what really brought me into this game, aswell as the ridiculous Moga themed loading screen way back in SP release.
    Something about the way those two played was just beyond my comprehension. It became a goal for me to become good at this game, not to mention during my earlier years
    I was able to cope with things a bit better when I was playing pox. It seemed to me, that I always had a family on this game. Snowski was a huge inspiration in keeping me around,
    he was the first person to give me some runes. Which basically slingshotted my need/want to play this beautiful chaotic game.

Time well wasted.

Etherielin, DarkJello and XFurionsX like this.
  10. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

I still remember my first really epic win, it was versus Neksis or something like that, FW player, and he was waaaaaay better. My 2nd one was versus ABCDude and he was waaay better than me too. I'm a fairly competitive person and realizing that I could compete with people I had been watching was super fun.

DarkJello likes this.
  11. Burcho

Burcho I need me some PIE!

The complexity + possible collection joy. I have an urge to understand and learn synergies. I'm here now for close to 2 years and because I have a traders/collectors mind at times, I have a very nice collection. The UD guide by Sepulcher guided me to UD and some given runes kept me there.

I am leveling all my runes in pve and played with a lot of different runes (mostly in very bad bgs, but good enough to beat the ai). I want to mention that the new leveling system certainly helps the fact that you aren't relying on lvl 3 units as much as before. This alone avoids a lot of grinding! New players still will want runes, but they don't need to play dozens of games to have one or two champs level 2.

I believe there will be a lot of questions by new players what the best bg would be with their limited collection; but then it is the 'job' of the veterans to show their bg building powers!

DarkJello likes this.
  12. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Too bad deckbuilding is a mostly lost art...

13. my first epic win, i was an uncommon player vs a exo player... he had all the fonts all visable champs were his, i had 3 hp left on avatar, he kept asking in chat what was causing the little ping damages to his shrine but i didnt say anything, my tturn comes up and two ember wasps that had been taking him down slowly with fire aura from tinder box atk once each and then fire nova for a totale of 50+ dmg enough to finish off his remainning HP and turn a victory for me.

14. SaintKiwi

SaintKiwi I need me some PIE!

No SP

15. Sealer0

SP too.

SaintKiwi likes this.
  16. jeeperz2

jeeperz2 I need me some PIE!

The art of the game and the way they use to advertise it completely got me, something about the bases also drew me in even though they aren't here anymore I still get a kick out of the unique runes and strategies especially now that peoples runes tend to have different abilities depending on the person makes the game even more unique. There is no other game like it the only one that came close was zeing but that game is long gone.

Nite2kill likes this.
  17. GameJack

GameJack The King of Potatoes

Was first seduced by deep elf assassin while reading online manga.
    Am already a MtG card player n was looking for something online.

Started around drum of war expansion while game is till under octopi.
    Quite like the gameplay n the artworks.

Forgotten whether we got free cards then but my first deck is a ragtag of runes, a circus deck.
    The moment I am hooked I suppose is my first PvP where I managed to destroy
    my opponent shrine with fire bow on dwarven miner.

18. rogreborn

rogreborn Devotee of the Blood Owl

Turn based strategy based in a fantasy world. This is the only game that delivers that. Once i saw how complex this game was, I was all in. I leave from time to time, but i always come back.

The only other thing in this world that gives me the same feelings, as this game, is rolling in BJJ. Both are very similar in that they are both versions of crazy advanced chess. Only one is online and the other is on the mats.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  19. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- Yeah basically was the closest thing out there at the time remotely close to a "tactics" game. Grid/turn based combat... I still wish for a final fantasy tactics esque game for the modern era

GameJack likes this.
  20. Nite2kill

Nite2kill I need me some PIE!

I used to play a mud mmog game called Solace it went under and I went searching for another game and came across Pox. I played for a month then I bought my first 6 month subscription this was back in Dec. 07.
    Loved the style and design.
    I have been playing ever since - only FF FW ever played.
    I will be here till the end

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014