Get rid of loss counters

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Legato, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Legato

Legato I need me some PIE!

At least publicly visible ones.

I realized recently that throughout my time here, the myriad of 'passerby' players I've helped, and the remaining I've talked to that this has always been a source of 'despair.' I'm sure the display information was easy enough to implement, but it's definitely done more harm than good (if you could even qualify the latter as such).

Win/Loss records come up in conversations in which they have no bearing. I don't know what it is about this that can be so hurtful or cause people to outright shun/avoid ranked play but I empathize and believe going forward its removal would be positive. I definitely consider myself trigger happy on other games' 'play ranked' option if I can't discern the information.

Whether those people should care is a separate discussion, and not really my focus. I've personally never thought much of it, though I will admit to creating accounts purely to track my success with individual factions.

I just remember the runes I've given away never to see used (no regrets, I tried) from players who cite their abysmal record as a supporting reason, if not the leading one. Losing sucks, sure -- it doesn't have to 'purely' suck and can be a learning experience -- but that's harder to argue when that 'loss is forever.' I can understand some people avoiding ranked because they feel their 'record' would become stigma, and attitudes I've seen in the past have practically supported this line of reasoning.

I frankly think it should be done away with, instead simply display current rank and the total amount of games won. Focus on their current achievements rather than potentially 'branding' them (which, let's face it is the unfortunate case for most players especially when all they face are very seasoned veterans).

Recalling a conversation with Sokolov about a player whose record was 17%, and it shocked me that he kept playing, didn't care, and just did it 'for fun.' I want to encourage more of that by doing this for the very reason I was amazed. I don't see anything but potential positives from this initiative.

tl:dr:
    Remove win/loss records, percentages or otherwise.
    Simply display current rank + games played OR games won.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    Amsheagar, Tweek516, okkku and 21 others like this.
  2. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

You know, I was gonna comment as to why this was a bad idea, but the more I think about it, the more I think it's a great idea.

okkku and BloodAshes like this.
  3. WraithxxV

WraithxxV Active Member

Agreed 100%, tracking loss doesn't help individual players, and the information can still be kept in the database to be displayed for specific positive things, like when spotlighting the top players (such as Tiny's 80% or whatever), just not constantly displayed.

okkku likes this.
  4. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

in all practicality i think i should probably agree, but in theory at least i want to disagree just because of all the times w/l gets brought up when it doesn't actually have any bearing on anything at all

but hey.

Morfeas likes this.
  5. Xiape

Xiape I need me some PIE!

This is surprising but true; getting rid of number of losses is helpful as it makes players feel like it's ok to fail, especially in a game where the failure rate is 50%. (Of course, not everyone feels like losing is failure, but it still is less fun to lose.)

okkku and WraithxxV like this.
  6. Legato

Legato I need me some PIE!

I know the OP was wordy so I can understand skimming but that's a case I cite to support why it should be done.

Ideally, the failure rate should be 50%, but a big aspect I want to stress is that for newer players it's more like 30%. It's not uncommon that 'top' players exclude them in discussion by this virtue alone. It's been countless how many times I've seen newer or lower ranked players branded with a derogatory name, things like 'rabble' or ' baddies'

For a long time after I started playing, not being a part of this shunned sect was a significant motivator in my even attaining high rank. But these terms and this treatment are just an excuse to not even consider opinions; brushing them off as 'lower than thyself' rather than actually being constructive, helping others see where they are mistaken or where they could improve -- some would be open to this but there are frequent cases that we can't even reach this step due to the treatment which preceded -- I've been guilty of this myself. I actually think this is a problem which should talk about more, as painful as it may be to admit.

Going forward, we need to be promoting solidarity. non-experienced or 'bad' players portray themselves as such without any help, but many reasonable ones who would simply want to learn more at least are perceived as helpless when the exact opposite is what we need to be reinforcing.

P.S.
    In case it wasn't clear, I still want to value, reward, and balance according to high ranked play.

okkku and WraithxxV like this.
  7. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

you mean no one will see my horrible K/D- I mean W/L?

sign me up

okkku likes this.
  8. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

i don't look to w/l to label people as baddies, i label them as bads when they're bad

it's a lot more simple that way

SPiEkY likes this.
  9. Grillado

Grillado I need me some PIE!

Agreed

10. rogreborn

rogreborn Devotee of the Blood Owl

I say keep w/l for ranked. But there should be no tracking on unranked matches. If DOG does their job right unranked matches should be much more common again. This will allow the new guys to develop without having to see how horrible they are. I know personally i played 25 unranked matches before my first ranked game, I probably should have played 100.

Anima26 and TheBulwark like this.
  11. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

or git gud scrub

12. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- I agree. I have seen no benefit to this stat...in fact how many times have we seen people post that " oh this is my third account...cuz like dude my first accounts losses were so bad..." So its not even a good base of win percentage truthfully since people just make an alt to posture.

okkku likes this.
  13. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

but without those numbers, how would the sheep around here know who to listen to?

why are you such a sheep hater?

14. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

there's always the shiny blue names

SPiEkY likes this.
  15. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

I think someone's jealous.

just put up a pic of my player profile. I hear it helps.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  16. MadLotar

MadLotar The King of Potatoes

Yeah, I think W/L records should be kept for league play and reset ( like ranks) at the end of every season. Maybe previous season wins and losses could be kept (in summary form) on the player's profile page.

okkku likes this.
  17. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

and we all know they are the only trustworthy ones around here

trust worthy enough to even hold runes

18. rogreborn

rogreborn Devotee of the Blood Owl

@Senshu

I like what MadLotar suggests. Make it so.

19. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

I think only players should see their own losses, ranked or not. Poxnora isn't a game where you need to know how good or bad someone is, there are no teams(talk about 2v2 when it's not a cheesefest) so there is no reason for the past to count. Leave victories as decoration or whatever, or remove everything. It definetly makes no difference, through all my years here I've only seen W/L mentioned with the intent of insulting someone, or to brag over one's own.

Enough of people making alts just to have cute numbers in their end game, and put some real statistics related to the game.

20. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- losses can be used to help matchmaking....no need to be visible however