Get rid of loss counters

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Legato, Sep 13, 2014.

1. hfok

hfok I need me some PIE!

I fully support this idea =)

2. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

sounds good to me. It might cut back on alternate accounts as well, because people seem to be concerned about their win loss record ever so much. At least do away with the unranked win/loss record, because who cares about unranked.

okkku likes this.
  3. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

4. Kraska

Kraska Member

I don't know about getting rid of loss counters entirely, but maybe keep a private w/l record and a public "recently played" record like the last 50 games. So that way when players get better, their more recent "better play" record is reflected. That way the good players get the positive effect of seeing their nice records displayed, while the weak and improving players will get some love as they improve their records without seeing their 13-70 start to their pox career.

5. Greysands22

Greysands22 I need me some PIE!

6. Goatmanji

Goatmanji I need me some PIE!

I agree, the loss percentage is what has kept me from ranked in the past. Recently though I've come to care less--I'm gonna lose most matches anyway.

To those that say 'just get better', show me how when I can only play against 1) other noobs (no learning anything from them) or 2) top rank vets (who just cream you into oblivion without explaining why) or 3) Pox AI (useless). Players that recently started (I started a month or two before SoE's reign ended) simply do not have the luxury of years of practice, nor the opponents that have come and gone during that time, that long-time players have.

I don't like to use the 'ignore' function, but players that have been playing for 6+ years whose best advice is to 'get better' are just as useless as trying to learn high-level play from the AI in dailies.

7. Anotherblackman

Anotherblackman I need me some PIE!

Fact: The only people who truly care about the "match w/l counter" are people who are obsessed with rank in games. This is the reason why they only play meta splits, or some over the top FF concept, and splurge money when they have the chance to get that "great champion" in their decks. If you care about the W/L counter in ranked without really trying to reach a higher level of playing, then just ignore it and be happy at the level you are playing in. It took me a good while to break exotic back in the days when Corpse was in charge, much less limited. Powercreep was so intense we basically had a new top 25 every expansion due to player buying into the meta. Now I can enter Limited Rank with ease due to my game knowledge, game strategies and confidence. I grant people those losses like they did unto me. Is the game suddenly fun for me and lame for you cause I'm better than you?

Recognize talent then hater.

I used to really, really care about my W/L until I doubled it. After I hit the 2:1 game ratio I cared less (especially after retaining battlemaster for a day like a real striving Poxnora player would do) about winning and more about the games aspects.

Now I just focus on playing like a O.G.(I done seen it all) and killing anything and everything in between the shrine and my Robo-Dog

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  8. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

I found this little gem of a thread last night right before bed. Sadly I didn't have the energy to post. Now I do. This is a wonderful idea. Even if they wont remove "loss" They could do something like, Game Won/ Games Played instead of Win/Loss. Though I am whole heartedly in favor discontinuing "loss" altogether. It is best for new players to focus on what they have accomplished instead of what they didn't.

okkku likes this.
  9. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

The best loss counter is skill.

10. Grumz

Grumz The King of Potatoes

This was suggested many times and many years ago, the reasons were the same. Considering the effort needed to do it I think it is definitely worth it.

11. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- Ironically this is not your first account. For some the best loss counter is ... Alt-tastic!!! Thread levels up!

Grumz likes this.
  12. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

btw it doesn't matter if there is a w/l counter or not. As long as the game history is visible, you will have people who will take the time to calculate it out if they think it means they can one up you in an argument.

the best defense is to not give a Bane Shift and say what you want anyway.

13. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

worked for me so far, and i'm grossly in the negatives.

14. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

It is my first account. Name chang.

Or search on Calon1 and tell me what you find. AFAIK you can't delete accounts.

The way it worked is this: I played a very small amount of games. Went away, came back and there was a new forums. Calon1 game account was not retrievable for some reason. As you can see by my W 315, L 38 which makes what... like 88% win ratio? Did I need to make a new account to escape that? Also, it was all in TG with the free IS deck.

So when I made my forum account, prior to trying to get my game account, I chose the name Calon1. Couldn't get the old game account back, so I made a new one, using Baskitkase.

Later I had Mepps change my forum name from Calon1 to Baskitkase to avoid the confusion.

Here's the kicker. This is an SOE account, created in 1999, at the beginning of Everquest. So it is, in fact, my first account. My 2nd account was created after this one, I played pre-SOE Pox with it a few times, then went away for 2 years and came back unable to retrieve it.

P simple, right?

You keep bringing this up like a ******* like it means something so I figured I'd set you straight.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  15. fiine

fiine Well-Known Member

Go play angry bird or something that doesnt have stats.

16. Thbigchief

- Still ironic. You took irony to mean something else I think.

17. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

No, its not ironic, because it has nothing to do with why I am not using the account I first played Pox with. You made an assumption in your first post that was incorrect thus removing any irony. Irony would only exist if I actually changed names to reset my loss counter, which obviously I did not do since A) I had a win percentage of 88% so there would be no reason for me to reset and B) I didn't play a single ranked game.

If you need more help understanding, let me know. I'm here for you.

18. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

Perhaps you wanted a 100% win ratio.... Those types do exist. I remember the old training grounds where a vet player was stomping players with the ud deck, i believe it was, set his games up where he went first. I joined his game as fw, and right before I killed his shrine he was begging for an fq. I can only assume it was because it would have been his first loss. Not saying thats why you changed your account, just pointing out that even 1 loss might be enough for some.

19. Gaedel

Gaedel I need me some PIE!

I support this as well. However, my "displayed" w/l record is not what deters me from PvP, it is my "actual" w/l record my psychic mind sees in the future if I play more PvP. I could care less if others see how much I lose.

However, let's get some perspective on what failure is with...baseball! If you hit .300 or more in your career, you are considered one of the greatest players who have ever played. However, a .300 batting average also means you fail 70% of the time!

20. Thbigchief

- Given the topic and your detailed exposition it is still very ironic to make a new account and end up with a worse w/l ratio. So ironic before, ironic now...and prolly ironic after.