Google doesn't know Pox Nora

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hiyashi, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Hiyashi

Hiyashi I need me some PIE!

One common practice to make people aware of content is Search Engine Optimization. On the surface level that means that you do things to make Google display your website before it displays the website of your arch nemesis. Since the Steam Relaunch is apparently happening soon I was thinking about things that we could do to help Pox Nora grow.. like pointless little twitter/facebook posts with a few keywords that describe Pox Nora and a link to the site and so on. While considering this I had to eventually realize one thing: Google does not know Pox Nora.

Really the only way that I could make Pox Nora be one of the search results was copying whole paragraphs from the website into Google. Just an example: The Game Info page states that Pox Nora is a FREE Multi-player Turn-based Strategy Game. Putting FREE Multi-player Turn-based Strategy Game into Google did not bring Pox Nora up as a result. Random combinations of RPG, Strategy, Turn based, TCG/CCG etc. didn't yield any better results.

At this point I can only hope that that's planed and that the relationship between Google and PN will bloom again once the Steam Relaunch hits the fan. Not being the first result when somebody looks for a strategy game is understandable. But I think it shouldn't be too unreasonable to expect PN to show up when you are looking for a turn based game with ccg elements.

Meanwhile: Discuss this shocking revelation or post things that you will or won't do after the Relaunch to make your friends, family, neighbours and pets aware of Pox Nora.

Don't worry guys. I have like 5 followers on Twitter. They'll all be here! Maybe.

PrePostEdit: turn based strategy tcg finds a mention of Pox Nora as result number 5 for me. Thread invalid! Can still post your plans for spaming your friends, I guess!

PostPostEdit: Things that you can do!

ProPosts: [#1] [#2]

(Though really I thought finding something like PN in Google would be easier. I had to try a lot of combinations to even get a mention of the game.. and then it was just some Forum entry and not the site itself.)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
    newsbuff, iPox, claydude5 and 6 others like this.
  2. Anima26

Anima26 I need me some PIE!

Iv always thought Pox could do with some exposure. Id never heard of it nor have alot of people i know. Only reason i do is because of Steam. Something i would imagine the DOG team are aware of and have thought about. Hopefully in the future it will get the exposure it deserves.

3. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

What he's talking about is searching on keywords that should bring up this game.

The short answer is theres no way DOG is going to be able to get the traffic they need to conquer google Ad Words and Ad Rank nor will they be willing to pay the money to have ranking without traffic.

So, in order for google to put the Pox Nora website up with people do searches like strategy+turn+based+rpg+tgc+etcetc is for someone to start writing scripts that search on those strings, then locate the pox website, then click on it.... many many thousands of times.

And I wouldn't be surprised if something like this wouldn't fool google since you'd be doing it from a single (or few) IP addresses.

That being said, it would be great if you could find Pox through keyword search.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2014
    SPiEkY likes this.
  4. Pixyrus

Pixyrus Forum Royalty

I know, I forgot to mention in the post that I miss-read the OP. I thought he was talking about PoxNora not showing up in the search. But I see what the OP means now. But still, not a very nice way to call me out on it... :cool:

5. Hiyashi

I'm no SEO expert but I once have learned that having a lot of sources linking to your content helps you ranking higher in the search engine. If that is true, and I have no reason to believe that it isn't true at this point, then spaming some twitters and facebooks with "Yo guys check this cool strategy turn based whatever game out [link]" could actually help.. a tiny little bit. I also once have learned that having proper meta tags on your site helps. As far as I could tell the PN site has none of them. I can't imagine that them lacking is a simple oversight. So it's probably planed. (Or whoever coded the site doesn't believe in meta tags doing anything useful which is a valid position as well as far as I can tell.)

6. Leogratz

Leogratz Devotee of the Blood Owl

1) the extra rude call out for a rude response due to a misread worked.
    2) it was not a stick, it was a bat. It was never in my cavities, it was on my hand just waiting for someone to give a retort as yours to such a valid post.

So, tough luck, you answered the wrong perfect post without reading. I could have been humorous? Yeah! Sure! But I don't know what peaceful forum you are talking about.

I will stop any derailing here - great post, Hyiashi. Great post.

SPiEkY likes this.
  7. Hiyashi

So I decided to check on the thread I made yesterday before going to bed. I also did some more Google searches to see if anything changed. That probably needs some explaining: At home I use an english Operating System with most of my settings (including Google search settings) being set on english. So I at least hope that Google thinks that I'm an english speaking citizen and gives me search results based on that. Now I'm at work where everything is very very german. And as far as I know your search results can differ depending on the region you are in. (Or the search settings that you are using.. I'm pretty sure that Google uses my IP to bust my attempts at disguising myself as somebody who's english anyway.)

So I did another search for turn based strategy tcg but I did not find the mention of Pox Nora that I've noted in the PrePostEdit yesterday... However! I found this: Suspension Link

THE IRONY!

But it can be seen as some kind of success.. right?

8. paldirs

paldirs Devotee of the Blood Owl

I found this discussion on page 1 by testing it myself :D

edit, ah I see now you did yourself aswell :p

9. XFurionsX

XFurionsX I need me some PIE!

upload_2014-9-17_7-24-37.png

Not first but second is cool i guess.

10. KelRama

KelRama The King of Potatoes

i was a social media manager, if u have a fan site, with a few thousand ppl, u could place some advertisements in it. The point of the advertising r the tracking links, in this case it would be playergrowth. If someone of u has a fansite, ask desertowl of gettin' a trackinglink / money per click. This could help pox nora a lot. I used to make 700 euro a day with facebook marketing. Out company had a lot fan pages one with 3 million ppl. Was pretty amazing.

to mention: a company of 2 people.

11. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

You may have inadvertently solved the thread's problem by way of the thread's existence. So meta.

SPiEkY likes this.
  12. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

Awkward moment when im more popular then pox
    Famous pox.png

13. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Well, we know someone likes to Google himself.

[​IMG]

14. Hiyashi

XFurionsX and Agirgis1 like this.
  15. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

16. Centuros

Centuros Active Member

17. G_Ro91

G_Ro91 The King of Potatoes

It didn't win vs. boobs...

18. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

On the internet that's one of those words that could be described a "heavy-weight champion"

G_Ro91 likes this.
  19. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

u have a calculator on your taskbar, wut a nerd

XFurionsX likes this.
  20. Gaedel

Gaedel I need me some PIE!

Haha, I do too! It's to add up all my money I can spend on Pox! (too bad it only goes up to 1 digit and 2 decimal places)