Discussion: More Features in the Steam Release Preview

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Senshu, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Entrepidus

Entrepidus I need me some PIE!

And yet this is precisely what happens over and over and over and over and over. . .

"Business professionals" aren't fortune tellers. They guess at an outcome based on the information available to them. This community is one source of information available to them, and in order for them to properly utilize us as such we need to be vocal about our concerns. If we "just lay back" we deprive them of a source of information and sabotage our own ability to influence the game.

I don't see how that helps anyone involved.

Greysands22 likes this.
  2. Gaedel

Gaedel I need me some PIE!

I don't think I made my point clear. When I said to "just lay back" I mean from now until Steam Release and see what they come up with. I fully support our feedback up until now. However, no feedback we provide to them from now until the Steam Release will make any bit of difference with the release. They have already done their research and made their decisions. Do not fret about them not changing their mind, because they will not and they should not. Now, after the hopefully successful steam release, I would like to see quite a bit more positive feedback and congratulations from the community, especially those of you doomsayers. I will not mention any names, I do not have any individual on my mind when I say this, but you know who you are. I do not keep score. I have confidence this will be a good thing. After all, it is already a good thing.

Do you guys realize this game should have been shut down by SOE. DOG and ONLY DOG is the reason we have been able to keep playing, and hopefully continue for a while. Do not blame them for anything. Thank them for everything.

DarkJello, 19madfox95 and darklord48 like this.
  3. Greysands22

Greysands22 I need me some PIE!

I 100% understand your point Gaedel, and I agree with you.

I think you will find that almost everyone agrees the dev's plan is sound. I know I am 100% behind what DoG is doing with pox. I have faith they will do the right thing and hopefully profit greatly from it. At the same time we all understand that in the industry there is a "free to play model" that dev's and studios and "business professionals" all generally adhere to in some way or another when it comes to making those kinds of games. Somebody even put that extra credits video on these forums recently talking about it. Then you have the original poxnora model of online TCG, where you sell packs and boxes and people grow their collections.

The red flags come up for a lot of us when you talk about Steam specifically because it is a really large forum but it's also as harsh and unforgiving as the rest of the internet. People are uneasy because IF the devs push pox as a free to play experience...well that is untrue, even if you expand the f2p parts of pox, it's still pretty untrue. Poxnora is a VERY intellectual and tactical TCG. The closest thing to pox is table top miniature gaming.

Which is awesome. It's why I love poxnora so much. But it's ok to be that and it's ok to be that on Steam. But in today's environment, in the Steam store environment you HAVE to be very upfront about it. Tell the people exactly what it is. It's ok to have F2P elements. But let people know this is a TCG.

NUX should be:
    1) Learn to play for free.
    2) Earn free stuff while you do it. Not locked BGs, but real free stuff you "own".
    3) Be able to spend a little money to play what you want to play.
    4) The more things you want to play, the more you start spending on pox.
    (For example maybe a fully tricked out nids pack with 50+ cards is only $4.99, and then think of how many different theme BGs you can think of multiplied by how many people will buy 1-10 of those packs at that price. Maybe that's really low but you get the idea.)
    5) Expansion packs and advanced content.

Notice how the amount of risk and money the person has to invest starts at nothing and then gradually builds as you go up. People WILL support a TCG model, I mean look at all the android TCG games. You just have to be honest and you HAVE to get people invested. I mean people still give Games Workshop money but only because they are invested in the games already. I'm not going to go out and pay retail for a vampire counts army while I currently own zero books or miniatures. But if you gave me a small collection of vampire counts and an old 7th edition book I might learn to play and then buy the new book and buy some new models.

Gold and rune rewards and the rune forge are nice treats, little incentives to keep people playing. But they aren't enough to entice a bunch of new people to pay full retail price for Poxnora. No more than giving me one unit of vargheist and then being able to get 10 free zombie models every week is enough to make me open my wallet to buy that vampire counts army from Games Workshop.

I mean the devs gave us a Steam release preview and that is just my 2 cents. I really do believe they are on the right track, but I encourage them to go all the way with it and not to be held back by the current community from doing what they have to. Which ultimately is destroying the world of being able to sell
    Lich Magistrate
    Price: $ 22.21
    Extra credits: 33315
    Available: 2

I mean that is pure poison. To a world of yeah Lich Magistrate x1 include in the spirit deck we sell for $7.99. Or at the very least yeah we sell that, all leg runes are $4 ea. Or you can buy a pack and get a bunch of runes to add to your collection and a chance to get a leg you can trade for you lich magistrate. How they do it doesn't matter, but there HAS to be a big change. I mean how many Lich Magistrates are even out there right now? I mean we launch on steam and 10 people in the world want to play spirit BGs and nobody can because this rune they want doesn't even exist except for some random chance it gets opened in a pack somewhere?

4. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

Map packs get into a problem area because if it is anything other than minor aesthetic changes it gets into the situation of there would be people that have the map and don't have the map which would mean we couldn't have them in the map rotation for Ranked. This is an issue that a lot of games run into with DLC because you fracture the player-base when you make it where not everyone has everything.

Alternate character skins is definitely something we are looking into, but there are two major factors involved. First, substantial work would have to be done on the back-end of the game to have this functionality be reliable. Right now every rune even re-skins is considered as a completely different rune, which is why there is sometimes issues where the game is patched and only one version of the rune is changed. Second, making alternate skins takes time which means we need to weigh the importance of such a feature versus other features.

Right now we can only focus on content and features that provide a greater benefit to Pox Nora and its players than what it takes for us to design and develop. Just from testing the new content the rune reward system makes Makes this feel like a completely different (in the better way) experience.

The Shrine placement in relation the the center font for Axilium is still being adjusted, but we are aware of player's concerns regarding 6 vs 7 speed champions.

MentalMoles and DarkJello like this.
  5. Gaedel

Thank you for the update, Senshu! I am very much looking forward to what you guys have coming!

6. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

So help me, if you guys make it 8 spaces, I'll kill somebody.

BansheeX likes this.
  7. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

What would you do if it was 9?

8. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

That'd be awesome!

9. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

Personally, I would then proceed to complain about:
    1) Chirai Outrunner with 8 speed and IS font bonus
    2) Stalwart Defender with Time Slip

The Chirai Outrunner scenario simply gives them 1 turn's worth of opportunity to deploy a champion in a forward position...which sucks but isn't that bad.
    The real problem for me would be the Font Defender ability, but as I'm writing this I realize it's not a problem with font spaces but with the ability itself.

10. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

what happens if you don't make the map symmetrical (specifically looking at midfont distance here)

11. jeeperz2

jeeperz2 I need me some PIE!

Sonic ele and bloodfiend pirahind says hi.

12. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

you forgot kaizers reckless teleport and slipworm

jeeperz2 likes this.
  13. jeeperz2

Slip has 8 speed now no?

14. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

8 speed+ tele 2 salamander commando is crying blood cause he is not needed

15. Gaedel

Chirai Outrunner is a cheetah! It better be fast!
    IS/KF split with Stalwart Defender? Yeah, that's an OP combination and unbeatable.

16. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Commando cuts his wrists and tries to die because of all the nerfáge.

17. Burcho

Burcho I need me some PIE!

reckless teleport is no longer, it is now teleport rank one. You should not forget exertion champs.

18. jeeperz2

Yeaa... How about we don't make this complicated and make it 6 spaces away so everyone can get to the font without having to worry about your enemy drawing a 9 speed champ the first turn?

SPiEkY likes this.
  19. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

Yeah, but then you get trouble when you have a 5 spd unit.

SPiEkY and jeeperz2 like this.
  20. jeeperz2

The chances of someone drawing a 9 speed unit I am sure is much higher then 5 speed unit. Nobody runs a ton of 5 speed unless they are playing clops. I have ran I have ran about 3 or so 9 speed champs in the same deck before.