Discussion September 25th 2014 Patch

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Senshu, Sep 25, 2014.

1. oppp7

oppp7 The King of Potatoes

I normally remain quiet but I'm starting to think that was part of the problem, so here goes.

I started playing back in early 2011 on single player exclusively. I figured the game was fun but back then I didn't intend on paying money (I've since bought tons of boxes and plan on more for Christmas, before you ask) so unless it went free to play I wouldn't stick around. Then a few days later I found out Pox Nora was going free to play. It was great; perfect timing and got me caught on the game amassing runes while waiting for even more features.

Annnnd that was the only significant addition to single player for over 3 years.

Don't get me wrong, I've played this regularly for those 3+ years. And I don't think multiplayer had huge sweeping changes either. But when I wanted to play I'd grind the same scenarios for gold that I was farming when I started playing. All the while, I'd go on the forums and giggle as I read dozens of complaints/arguments about balance before wondering why every single patch was a balance patch.

So now after several years and 3-4 lead designers we finally got another big update. Not world-endingly large, but it's nice having something that not only changes every time you play it but rewards differently than the story campaigns. I wanted to thank you for showing you didn't forget us single players exist.

Thank you, Desert Owl, for making this game fun again.

Etherielin, Sunutsu, Boozha and 2 others like this.
  2. AmmonReros

AmmonReros I need me some PIE!

only wish I could play with the gamebreaking resolution bug ...

3. Adam B

Adam B The King of Potatoes

hey i got 3 problems/bugs . sometimes when i make a game with a requirment from from th daily achievments it doesnt count it even thoght im sure i did it right.
    the second problem is i cant see the 4 headlines when im in the game marketplace/rune forge/ rune manger/ "another one"
    the third one is in campains why after i kill all the champs nothing happens and the shrine remain untouchable?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  4. npoxer

npoxer New Member

Spotted 3 more important bugs:

1. Nectar Fairy sometimes does not reduce cooldown of my heal champion 3 ability when I use recharge. It just loses 2 charges, and the CD of heal does not change. On the next or the turn after that, it works again. Please see to this. This seems to happen more often when I press recharge a few times quickly.

2. Campaign Euans Last Stand ( don't know if it is only this one or all in general, tried only on this one ). I have previously started playing it on normal difficutly ( before the patch ). I've completed the first mission back then and now I am not able to continue or choose another difficulty setting.

3. Seen this reported already, just wanted to give a heads up that getting runes which are not tradeable as rewards from skirmishes is still not fixed. Just got one.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  5. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Probably because limited recources means you cater to the money. Which is most likely largely found in multiplayer and not in singleplayer. Most single players dont throw a lot of money at this game, I would guess.

I fine with them revising single player, as long as they fix ranked before the game flops.

6. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

That's a dangerous assumption to make, there, burn...

7. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

For the first one could you tell me which daily achievement and what you tried using to complete it?
    For the second one can you tell me what your video settings are, and have you tried using the repair option when you first launch the game from the desktop/start menu?
    The third one is a known problem where certain triggers aren't always being properly activated when playing Campaigns or the Daily Skirmish.

8. Adam B

Adam B The King of Potatoes

hey i figured it out apparantly i need to play more than 5 minutes for it to count. im good.

9. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

A game on the verge of death not catering to the moneywhales seems like one deserving of the deathbed.

10. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

I was more referring to the whole "Most single players don't throw a lot of money at this game" thing.

11. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

In comparison to ranked players, I have no doubt that most money is with the ranked players.

(money, not runes. Since most hoarders/sharks dont even play the game)

12. Gaedel

Gaedel I need me some PIE!

Well, Burn. This is where you are wrong. Single player is just as important as multi player in order for this game to succeed. I have been playing for a long time and have invested quite a bit of my hard earned money into this game. I know I'm not the only one either. You think multi-player is the only way to make this game succeed? Wrong. Why do you think there are always a higher population of players in single player than ranked? DOG earned a HUGE WIN with Skirmish mode. Do not diminish that success.

13. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Because Single Player got new Bane Shift and Ranked is still Bane Shift

14. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

15. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Because a lot of casual players play single player? Because everyone has been on a break for the last year?

Theres no way that single players spend the amount competitive players spend. I doubt the average single player spends more (there are more ranked than single players I am sure, single players arent as bothered with balance/maps.as.the ranked population is) than the average ranked player.

Sure there are players who spend a lot @SPiEkY but people like you are an exception. You're still here and spend so much because of your involvement in guilds and ranked play in the old days (do single only players go for guilds by the way? Idk)

16. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Im not saying single player is useless. But Im convinced that the hoard of competitive players over the years has invested a ton more into Pox in comparison. I don't see any reason why a smaller group of peole that is emotionally less invested into the game would spend equal to more money.

Which is why I think SOE didnt bother with single player.

17. Gaedel

Gaedel I need me some PIE!

Tell me, what is your basis to group someone as a "Ranked" player vs a single player? Wouldn't you say that most people are both? The numbers seem to support either the fact that there are more single players or there are both. When you complain that the Skirmish mode is killing the Ranked population, then I would consider the Ranked players who are now playing Skirmishes as both. Why are they playing Skirmishes? Because they are enjoying it. Isn't that why we play this game? Previously there was the misconception that there were more Ranked players because there was not enough single player content to keep players playing single player, so they would get bored and either quit or move to Ranked. I would still consider those players as both. Now, when we go live with Steam, the new players will start out by playing single player, but will still be introduced to Ranked by the NUX. Once they build up their inventory they will play Ranked, build up more, play more Ranked, and so on.

To expect new players to want to play Ranked early on is silly (or I heard someone say before, "Stinkin' Thinkin'") DOG was smart. Single player content will grow the game. We need enough single player content so the new players will not get bored, go to Ranked and get murdered, and feel like they have to spend a ton of cash to be competitive and quit. The single players content will get them hooked, the better rewards will give them a feeling of accomplishment and growth, then hopefully they will move on to Ranked play.

What you need to do is open your mind to the complete game. If you can't do that, well, move along.

18. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

You seem to be completely oblivious to my point and are putting words in my mouth judging from your first few sentences. I'd also guess you're upset because you feel the single player pride got hurt. I'd urge you to read all my posts again, I can't be bothered to type it all again. Nor can I be bothered to read your wall.

19. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

If skirmishes are the best way to gain runes then it is understandable that people will focus more on them -- but this reduces peoples participation which hurts PvP.

I have a hard time accepting that single player is anything but a supplement to the real game -- PvP. It doesn't have anything like the depth, challenge or community interaction. As an introduction to the game it's great, but no one should feel encouraged to play it at the expense of PvP.

I think (after the introductory period) ranked should be the best way to get rewards, then unranked PvP, then single player.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  20. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

People are entirely different and I've heard of many that love single player. I am not sure why, but they do, and disregarding them will not do Pox any favors. I think if was Gedden who said that introducing SP doubled the Pox pop.