Stunned-flying units

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 0ryuk0, Oct 2, 2014.

1. 0ryuk0

0ryuk0 I need me some PIE!

I think they should lose 'flight' ability when they're stunned. I hope this makes sense :)

2. KelRama

KelRama The King of Potatoes

absolutely.

3. daeminicus

daeminicus Devotee of the Blood Owl

Makes sense, but would be a huge problem. Stun, kb of a cliff and die etc. Its fine as it is.

Things like aerial supremacy maybe shouldt proc, but it would be alot of information to take in for new players and make this game even more complex.

Morfeas and Goyo like this.
  4. mario75

mario75 The King of Potatoes

also if paralayzed.

5. Entrepidus

Entrepidus I need me some PIE!

It's actually less intuitive that stunning something with flight doesn't bring it to the ground.

6. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Logic and balance often mean tradeoffs. In this case you trade off logic for balance. Wish we could do the same with retardo domidive.

SPiEkY likes this.
  7. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

This has been mentioned many times over the years and it's not a bad idea, but I agree with it because flight is so awesome that it deserves [more] counters. I disagree with logic-based balancing.

SPiEkY likes this.
  8. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

flight needs more counters... Not sure that this is a good one but it's a step in the right direction

9. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I don't agree that flight needs more, if any, counters. Flight just shouldn't be handed out like sweet candy, wings or no wings. The ability is grossely ondercosted and responsible for a lot of map imbalances.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    Sirius and SPiEkY like this.
  10. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

You mean lose the condition flying, not the ability flight.
    Otherwise this would only effect champions with flight and not other ones that have say arctic flight or sonic flight.

It would have precedence with stunned/paralyze effecting units that are blocking/dodging.

11. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

Yeah, stunned isn't the same as being knocked out (ignoring the fact that knock out causes stunned).

12. MadLotar

MadLotar The King of Potatoes

Knockout causes paralyzed.

This champion makes an attack at Range 1-2 against target opposing champion. If successful, the target becomes Paralyzed 2 (This champion can not move or use attacks or abilities. This champion has -2 DEF and it loses all AP at the start of each turn. It cannot engage other Champions and loses Paralyzed if it becomes damaged). This champion must be stealthed to use this ability and using this ability does not destealth.

13. Pixyrus

Pixyrus Forum Royalty

Yes, lets try to incorporate logic in a fantasy game...

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  14. egami

egami Devotee of the Blood Owl

Forget who said it first but it remains true.....

When you see a flaming hammer fly through the air and take out a bird or an airplane in real life, then we can talk about how stunned should "obviously" cause the condition grounded. Flight is a rather expensive condition (used to be 10 nora and now it's around 7 I think although who can tell now that we have added arctic/sonic/affirmative action/notional/national pizza day flight). It is a huge benefit on maps and avoids all sorts of inconvenient ground conditions. It doesn't need too many counters to circumvent an inconvenient flyer but it would be nice to keep flying contained as Pyro alluded to in his post.

15. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

We don't balance based on logic. Arguments should never use logic as a basis for balance. That's just lazy and convenient, real world logic has no place in deciding how things work in a fantasy world that completely defies logic.

16. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Tbh, flight could be an ability that gives flight for 6 turns for 4 AP with a 4 round CD or something. Or 2 AP, 3 turns, 2 round CD.

SPiEkY and BurnPyro like this.
  17. Boozha

While the first part is correct, the second part is not. Fantasy is not about dismantling logic, it is about adding new factors, leading to a new logic. The real issue is that real world or fantasy logic has no place in a game that has to be balanced first and logical second.

18. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

I didn't say anything about dismantling logic. I said it has no place. The reason is because it only works sometimes, hence "convenience".

How can an ant survive multiple hits from a human wielding a hammer or a dragons breath?

The "new logic" as you put it is the acceptance of all these fictional beings as real and that they get to exist on an even playing field inside this gamespace. You cannot then go and say, we'll when a dragon hits an ant IT OBVIOUSLY dies in one hit.

No, you don't design mechanics to operate logically, you design and balance them to operate equitably against their cost and their contribution be acceptable based on the rest of the gamespace.

BurnPyro likes this.
  19. Boozha

Yes, you are right, but that is not the fault of Pox being fantasy, it is the fault of Pox being a game. If Pox was a book and the ant still survived multiple hits with a hammer people would be reasonably annoyed, because "its fantasy" does not absolve you from following logic where you did not expand it in one way or another.

I'm agreeing with you, I'm just *****ing about semantics.

20. Grand General Mosh

Grand General Mosh Devotee of the Blood Owl

So, funny story, since apparently nobody here remembers, but this actually USED to be the case. Way back before the FIRST revamp to Pox's system, stunning/paralyzing would cause a loss of Flight, making things like Hammerstrike an instakill for flyers over chasms. Naturally, this was BEFORE flying was on everything ever, so the people rose up and demanded a change since it was 'unfair'.

21. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

No people wanted an indirect buff to wind generator, don't lie.

I'm still in favor of just bringing flying in line, it's a horrible ability. Cooldown, activate button,.. Some maps are facerolls if you have flying ans the opponent doesn't. I'm looking at you snare tangle.

SPiEkY likes this.