and what about ubuntu?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JaceDragon, Mar 14, 2014.

1. JaceDragon

JaceDragon I need me some PIE!

Hi!
    when my first pc is occupied i use my second one, but this one has ubuntu as operating system, there is anyway to run poxnora in linux?

2. LoganMkv

LoganMkv I need me some PIE!

It works fine with wine (even had sounds while they were not working in windows).

3. Gedden

Gedden Administrator Octopi

There is currently no installer for Linux, that being said there is nothing technically stopping us from making one. Since Pox is java it will run on Linux, its just a matter of distribution. We actually had tier 1 support for Linux for years, the problem was it was so rarely used it did not make it worth the effort.

If we get some more requests I can look into making an installer, but given all the stuff we want to get in it wont be super high priority unless we get more requests. It's also worth mentioning we want to bring pox back on steam at some point here soon, at which time we may get Linux distribution support through that.

4. JaceDragon

Thanks for the answer, i'm going to use wine so

5. killabud69

killabud69 The King of Potatoes

Glad I read this before I went ahead and started setting up Ubuntu on my old laptop. Guess I'll do a split partition so I can still play Pox on it.

6. Cortices

Cortices Administrator Octopi

Although untested, another option might be to run the game inside a VM. With VirtualBox and like, it's never been easier.

SaintKiwi and Xinde like this.
  7. Imba

Imba The King of Potatoes

I run Pox Nora in Linux under Wine without any problems. That said, you can get some pretty weird bugs sometimes (like sprites just completely disappearing, screen turning black, all graphics related) and if so you have to be comfortable using the terminal to reconfigure wine.

8. JaceDragon

too hard for me

9. PharumM

PharumM Member

I realy would like to see pox on linux its like +10 idea
    there was this geforce error white screen but game worked quite well on linux for me and for a time there realy wasint any point for me to get to windows at all so it could be at least alternative for few errors and keep people playing
    iced tea run pox quite well
    for vm i was unable to run poxnora under Virtual Box for some reason so not the best idea

10. sunandshadow

sunandshadow New Member

Can I get on some kind of notification list for if/when a Linux version of PoxNora becomes available? I've been trying to get my housemate to play but he refuses to use Wine, so...

11. JaceDragon

i still can't run pox with wine with my linux =(

12. ArchersAxe

ArchersAxe Member

My project this summer is to get my Netbook to run properly and more efficiently. Currently it's underpowered and the Window's operating system bogs it down way too much. I was hoping to switch to Ubuntu and add some much needed RAM. If this could be something you guys could work on, that would be fantastic. :)

13. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I used "play on Linux" on my old Dell d420 running ubuntu with no problems. Try that and let me know if you need help.

14. JaceDragon

How did u play pox with ubuntu?
    i try using wine but i pox doesnt start

15. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Download "play on Linux"

16. JaceDragon

Are u kidding me?

17. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

No, I'm not kidding. There is a program called "Play on Linux" that is designed to detect the application and configure Wine automatically for the application you are trying to use.

18. JaceDragon

Oh i'm sorry, i'm missunderstaning. I'll try and to download this application, thanks

19. JaceDragon

i don't find this program

20. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty