Three New "Game Mode" Concepts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jason, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Jason

Jason Guest

Despite being under the possession of several companies over the course of almost ten years, Poxnora really doesn't have many different modes of playing. There are regular games, the "Beta" 2v2, and Single Player challenges and campaigns (with an AI that may very well have been build out of vegetables and copper tubing).

It's woefully ironic that a game with such complexity and customization offers almost no way to utilize its own diversity.

So without further ado, below are three game modes that would really expand on Poxnora as a whole. And as much as we could use balance and bug fixing, I can't help but feel as though playing the game would be more fun if it felt as little more epic.

Please note that these game modes are not intended to interest every player, they're intended to provide new opportunities for players to enjoy Poxnora.

1) Poxnora Real Time

What if both players were in control of their units at the same time? To do this, turn timers would no longer designate individual "turns", but simply the time that turn-based effects took place.
    • The turn-based element of Poxnora would be eliminated. Both players would be in control of their units and spells at the same time.
    • The turn timer would remain, although possibly with a shorter timeframe.
    • At the end of every "turn", all units would gain their respective amounts of AP, all current effects and cool downs would take place, and each player would gain their respective amount of nora.
    The idea here would be to make a "real time strategy" Poxnora. It would completely change the pace of the game, and would provide more opportunity for players to turn the tide of battle against one another.

2) Poxnora Archenemy

Poxnora Archenemy would be three (or possibly two) players against a single one, the "Archenemy".
    • The "Archenemy" would have a larger rune dock, perhaps 40-50 runes.
    • The "Archenemy" would have increased nora generation, shrine health, and longer turns.
    • The shrine of the "Archenemy" will have an increased spell radius.
    • In an effort to add an additional "epic" quality to the game mode, all Heroes and Split Heroes will have drastically increased health (and perhaps increases to additional stats).
    3) Poxnora Total War
    In an attempt to make a game mode that felt a bit more like the "fantasy war" that Poxnora is at heart, what if the game provided a mode that became substantially larger?
    • This game mode will only take place on large maps.
    • Players will have larger rune docks, perhaps 40-50 runes.
    • Players will have increased nora generation, shrine health, and longer turns.
    • In an effort to add an additional "epic" quality to the game mode, all Heroes and Split Heroes will have drastically increased health (and perhaps increases to additional stats).
    My hope is that a Desert Owl Games representative will find anyone of these interesting, and the game will expand.

2. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

We don't have enough players to split the playerbase like that, sadly. When we go into the thousands I'll be all for it

3. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

that never happen
    i was thinking about it too i think if we can reach a steady regular player base of 300 i think alternate modes should be nice to implement but remember this will take at least half a year to make

4. Jason

Jason Guest

The Archenemy concept shouldn't actually take so long. It's just an adjustment of 2v2. The game can already be set to give players increased nora generation, shrine health, and turn timers in a regular game, now. All that would need to be done is allow for larger rune docks (hardly a challenge) and to implement this to game format where one player would join a game as an archenemy and two or three would join against them.

The hero details could be removed from the Archenemy concept if it would significant speed up development.

Otherwise I can't think of a reason this particular one would take more than a few weeks to implement. Like I said, we have all the tools already.

5. Skeezick

Skeezick Forum Royalty

nah thanks,id like my balance patches

6. hotbread

hotbread Devotee of the Blood Owl

Longer turns and larger numbers are not fun, they cause games to drag out longer, are harder to balance, and add unnecessary calculations.

Real-time mode would be impossible without re-writting the engine.

Though I wish RNG mode could be added back in for custom games. (Random chance for units to miss attacks+some other rules I forget.)

7. Zero

Zero Active Member

A change to turns in real-time: Each champion could gain AP per minute based on their speed. 6 speed = 60% AP cap every 1-2 minutes or so. 7 AP = 70% AP cap every 1-2 minute and so on. I can see slower units being at a disadvantage but they are already in turns. This means that everything gains AP at different times separately, exactly how a real-time can be.

8. Zero

Zero Active Member

A boss mode would be interesting since it's kind of in the game already against AI. 1 person controls big boss unit with a couple baby units and 1-3 players have to beat it.

9. hotbread

hotbread Devotee of the Blood Owl

You're missing the point, it's litterally impossible to do real-time games.

10. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

i was looking for this threadby intbetweener
    some one gave game ideas previously senshu said there were not enough player base but now i think it can be implemented
    i really hope coop becomes a thing as well as king of the hill (2 players vs UI)
    idea by inbetweener
    Hey everyone,

It has been a while since I've posted something in general discussion or played an actual ranked game.
    There are a few reasons for that which I will explain later on.

As of this moment the staff is way too busy fixing what has been broken by SOE for ages. and I applaud them for it. I've been playing this game off and on since 2007 and I've seen a lot of mistakes made. And the first steps to making this game more balanced and accessible to everyone are incredible.

However, as far as I can see in the client. This hasn't been enough yet.
    Too often I see the same names in the high rankings, as well as online. In the forums I spot many of the same usernames as well. So there is a pretty big fanbase keeping this game alive!

But I am wondering if the current game formats as they are now are easily accessible by new players.
    The empty training grounds tells me : A BIG NO.

So I came up with a few alternative ways to play Poxnora keeping the following in mind :
    - Wherever you are, you should be able to play with your own cards!
    - I consider myself a casual gamer. So I will probably never reach the top 100.
    - My intentions are to make up things to make the game attractive and accessible for everyone, not just the very few being great at board games.
    - Fun before winning!

Playing poxnora on a Tablet / Phone

Let's be honest. This is a new future for 'smaller' games like this. But the way you play with your poxnora cards right now in a 30-card deck is almost impossible to handle on a small piece of machinery.
    So what if you use only a few cards from your collection in a direct death match?
    This would mean :

- Instant placement of 3, selected by you, champions per side.
    - 8x8 grid (or 6x8)
    - No fonts
    - No shrine
    - No respawn time
    - 30 seconds/1 min per turn

Along with this one could gain a SMALL amount of gold, to spend not on a card pack. But on a single card, which could vary from common to exotic. A little more of a gamble. But a LOT more accessible for newer players.
    From that step you could perhaps add 1 single spell to be used with it as well, or one relic.
    It's small, simple, and it can become as strategically challenging as a normal Poxnora game. Just not as time intensive. (There are also options for fighting vs AI this way ofc)

Co-op campaigns!

It's most probably an old idea. But hey, I don't read forum posts, so to me it's original! :p
    Challenging the computer is fun. the AI is challenging enough on legendary mode. And forces you to make up overpowered combos to overcome it. As far as I've experienced with the new set most combos are trickier now.

But playing it with a friend with a smaller battlegroup could make it just as fun. Together you would have a 20 rune deck for instance. So you won't have an answer to everything like people in a normal ranked game have.

But wouldn't it be more fun to have things like co-op endurance/survival challenges?

Or perhaps a Capture the flag format, where one BG walks through a cliff with constantly spawning enemies and your ally helping you out on the top sides, unable to join each other?

Or cliffing challenges to cliff as many Talgars together within a time limit?

(King of the hill would be a nice challenging event though. With an Admin being the king with 10000 hp and 4-8 players trying to kill him. :p But that's just me being radically silly)

The good-old 20 runedocks!

There must have been a few discussion topics about this already. But what pissed me off most in the past was the idea, and im not sure of this but this is how i received it, of forcing players to buy more packs for 30 rune decks as well as a viable reason for them to bring out more expansions more frequently.

So in my opinion here is what is wrong with 30 rune decks :

- Too many answers in 1 deck. The fun of the 'old style' poxnora was that BOTH sides could not have answers to everything the other guy had. For instance if the enemy used Stealth and you had no Detection. You had to rush and bash the enemy's shrine in with your stronger non-stealth units.
    - Less time intensive! I can't stress how many people leave a game within 20 minutes and not waiting for their runes to respawn again. The end game this way takes a LOT longer than it has to be. I think this little fact cost most casual gamers.
    - There are so many options that theme decks need to blend with powercreep cards to make you last long enough to actually win a game. The more OP cards one has the option to, the less it comes down to actual skill, and thus fun.
    - Too many battles on too many fronts. With 10-20 champions to control on 3-4 different places, you simply cannot win vs someone who plays this game in and out. This treshold is where many players , even me, just not finding it casually fun anymore. And with the attention span from people decreasing over the years, I cannot see this improving. No matter how balanced this game becomes.

BACK IN THE DAY.
    A few years ago when actually played this game, (I'm still loving everything about it though!) the 20 rune decks were great. You could only put like 2-3 deck strategies into 1. Themes were more fun to play with and there was simply a bigger chance to completely turn the ties. Right now it feels from the first 20 minutes that I have lost already. Which is kind of odd when I used to play top 250 easily when Poxnora was at their most crowded point. With my casual, theme-fundecks. They are my one true love in Pox.

"But that's simply because you suck" - Random person.
    Not per se. But I do like to speak for the casual players. Because this game should be fun and not a chessgame on 4 fronts. 1, maybe 2 chess games is enough for simple people, thank you. And don't forget that most people don't even like chess. And I'm not one of them.
    "You need to invest more money in this game!" - Another random player.
    Not really.. I do own 15 angels, a Grimthir , most expensive UD champs and even an harbie, along with many others. So I'm not creating this topic from a 'weak' standpoint.
    "You need to invest more time in this game to become good" - Yet another person.
    I agree. I would need more time. But the time I have already invested in this game (Approx. 500h+, campaigns excluded) should not be a standard for a CASUAL gamer.

heres the thread
    http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php?threads/new-poxnora-format-ideas.5054/

11. Zero

Zero Active Member

I know it's impossible in this game, I'm just throwing out ideas regardless.

12. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Those are some cool ideas but moreso I like how you are thinking. Ignore the whiny knobs. Keep thinking how to make the game better.

Oh, and I prefer posts WITH further ado, but maybe that's just me.

13. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Ironically we don't have the players, the resources or the developpers to realize these dopes.

14. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Just say no to dopes.

15. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

If only Gedden did.