Haunting Grip

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vvvvv, Oct 29, 2014.

1. vvvvv

vvvvv The King of Potatoes

I'm getting really tired of this spell. Most of the people outside of FW are. It doesn't make any sense to just spit out ghosts with 8 damage auras for 40 (or less) nora. There is no strategy whatsoever, just abusive spell spam.

Sirius likes this.
  2. xezno

xezno I need me some PIE!

The first ranked game I played in about a week I got hit with this and was quite surprised. To say the least I got owned. It was not fun to face but as for power level, I am making no comment on that. Just wish there was a better way to figure out what is going on in game :/

Pipster likes this.
  3. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

So apparently, Sonic Aura 3 is now way too good for 40 nora. Meanwhile, Grant: Aura does the same thing in a 7 space radius on a CD of 1 for 1 AP. The only difference here is that the Grant: Aura champ can usually be killed, while the ghosts require magic damage. Btw, the aura does 6 damage, not 8, and even if you get the max discount, I hardly see how the spell is overpowered. Sure, by all means waste 40 nora on a useless ghost with 3 speed that does 6 damage per round. I'll just be deploying my Euan Ironfists, Dwarven Sharpshooters, Scarlet Wings, aka champs that actually do things.

Nite2kill and XFurionsX like this.
  4. SaintKiwi

SaintKiwi I need me some PIE!

lol you're done

5. Paper Skull

Paper Skull I need me some PIE!

No one's saying it's not powerful, because it definitely is. Mostly people complain about the specific deckbuilding needs to counter a single rune that can, against the right deck, dominate.

In other news, try posting in one of the other threads about this topic, we don't need another.

6. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Honestly it's not overpowered, just over efficient. Overpowered is nothing can compare. Over efficient means others do the same thing, its just above par. Which it is from what I have fought. Its not crazy, just annoying as Firk. Which was its intent. Its just doing it too well.

7. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

Lol just stop
    Edit: I still love you tho
    Edit Edit: But seriously.....youre done

8. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

No its not.

Overefficient would imply that giving it a lower rank of sonic aura or less stats could fix it. It doesnt.

Its overpowered because ghost is one of the most obnoxious abilities in the game and leads to situations where this champ just doesnt die.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2014
  9. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Yes it would.

Efficiency is not based upon ranks, but by how it performs.

Never in my many years of playing have I ever seen a complaint about Disturbed Spirit (The original recipient of Ghost) other than that he is an annoying little bugger. Not that he is too powerful to deal with...

Ghost is not the issue. It is who it is on. The Shades spawned by Haunt are not devastating in their own right. It is the fact that there is 3 of them with mitigating issues towards how they are dealt with. This is clearly NOT reflected in the cost of the rune itself. At current each Shade costs a mere 10 nora. For a spell that kills a relic, deploys a terrain that denies spell usage, and spawns - not summons - 3 of the most BASIC yet annoying runes.

Haunts cost does not reflect how efficient the rune actually is. At the very least it should cost a minimum of 50-55 nora.

The ability Ghost when it was conceived was meant to be "Obnoxious" and NOTHING more. It was never meant to be on runes such as AA, nor was it meant to be spam-able. It was meant to be an annoyance. Haunts usefulness does not reflect its self in its cost. Making it spam able, and hyperefficient.

The shades them selves could also use a minor hp tweak, but that is another story. We are talking about Haunts cost:benefit analysis. Though we should fix them both while we are at it...

Edit: Also please point out other instances where my balance suggestions are wrong. I am always open for a lively debate, I am not so obstinate that my mind can''t be changed.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  10. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

See, this is why you need to talk to people who actually understand the game.

First of all, haunting spirit needs to be deployed and has 4 speed which creates a huge delay compared to haunting grip spot summoning ghosts. Pretty big deal in time to react to it.

Secondly, you're talking about haunt with shades. Not ghost. We're talking about haunting grip.

Why don't you go take all your years of experience and feel stupid. Stop wasting my time with idiocy.

TheNidhogg likes this.
  11. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Exactly what I just said. Haunt' does it better. Why does it not reflect its efficiency in cost? Why for 30 nora can I get everything I have previously stated?

12. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Shades have Ghost?

13. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

No it just morphed into a Ghost conversation while on the topic of Haunt. Mostly my fault. I was using Disturbed Spirit an annoyance rune as a comparison of efficiency to damage, cost, hp of the Shades. Then it turned into a minor AA rant. :)

14. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Because its a ghost champ summoned on the spot.
    Honestly, comparing cheap meat that requires a relic + delay with an instant ghost is just wrong.

You're bad and so are your comparisons. Sure haunt is good, but thats besides the point. Haunting grip is too strong because of how obnoxious ghost is, thats all. I won't waste more time on it.

Good thing you don't have to be good at the game to be forum mod.

TheNidhogg likes this.
  15. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

I realize my comparison was iffy. Disturbing Spirit of almost the exact same qualities, and is not that far off if you remove context, and just look at them for a second. The Cost Benefit does not match.

Never once have I said the rune is not an issue. It is. The why of it is not ghost though. Ghost is doing its job. Annoying. The cost as I have repeatedly said does not match its efficiency.

I became a forum mod based upon my ethics, and implying differently hurts.

16. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

I understand he just appears. If you look at my earlier posts I said they are similar yet Haunting Spirit does it better. So why is the cost lower than a champ of almost the exact same qualities? Cost does not match its efficiency.

Also. Thanks for pointing out the Ghost/Revamp thing. It is indeed interesting.

Side note: I just noticed I started a little confusion earlier by using a ' as a contraction instead of typing it out fully. Whoops XD

17. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

wat

18. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

So let me ask a question to the people who regularly use this spell and are not bad at the game:

1. If your opponent can bring magic dmg to the area on the next round or has sufficient magic dmg to kill the spirit already in the area, will you cast it?
    2. If your opponent has no magic dmg in the area and cannot effectively bring magic dmg to the area in the next 1-2 rounds will you cast this spell?
    3. Same question, 2-3 rounds.
    4. same question, 3+ rounds.
    To me, it seems that determining how to manage the deployment of your magic dmg will solve this problem fairly quickly.

I'd have answered all these questions on my own had I been playing but considering what I do know about the meta I'm not making a deck with fewer than 4 sources of magic dmg at this point.

With magic dmg readily available I'm not seeing how 40 nora is worth one round of 6 dmg and a bit of opponent wasted AP unless it gets a game changing kill.

Luckiky, SL has 18 sources.

Sirius and JazzMan1221 like this.
  19. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

^I will respond to this tonight when i have time, but i can assure you it is very much worth it.

20. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

None of those have Grant Aura.

Checkmate Grip wins.

BurnPyro likes this.