Any possibilities on a replay system?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BurnPyro, Nov 5, 2014.

1. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

This has been asked a couple of times, can't remember what the responses were. Is this a possibility or is the platform too derp?

It'd be interesting to analyze matches and whatnot.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
    SPiEkY likes this.
  2. Nexx

Nexx I need me some PIE!

Grammar police here. It'd.

3. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

It's not a bad idea i would love to back and see where i went wrong in my match or see how i could have won faster. The problem is that if DoG implements this they would need to have a huge server to store all the matches for each player. That would cost a whole lot of time and money unless each player is wiling to pay some money.Besides it better for them to focus steam and ronin and patches now since you complain a lot more that any other player.

4. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

Not necessarily. He could've meant he would be interesting while analyzing matches.

BurnPyro likes this.
  5. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Mixed up two thoughts, derp

6. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Those are two fragments Mr. Grampopo.

7. Ozariig

Ozariig I need me some PIE!

Why would they need a huge server? Replays could be stored client-side in XML (i.e. text format), and the client on your computer could do all the work of recording. I see it as a natural extension of a revamped combat log.

Another significant advantage would be sending replays to DOG to show them how to recreate bugs.

Don't get me wrong, it could still be a pretty major initiative to implement it. There's a certain amount of voodoo in how the client and server interact that might make it tough to record and replay matches, at least as things currently stand. But there are certainly advantages for them to move in that direction.

8. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

A replay system is always possible, but any version would take an extensive amount of work to get into the game. We would need to either design a in-game video recording system, or design server output log that catalogs all actions in a match that could then be fed back into the system to recreate the match without causing any server stability issues. Both of these would be several month of work at the least.

Dagda likes this.
  9. Ozariig

Ozariig I need me some PIE!

I'd vote for a (timestamped) logging function. Then when the recording was playing, you could interact with the runes as though you were an observer. Like I said, it would also give a lot of good information for recreating bugs.

I kind of expected that it would be a big effort though. Thanks for the post.

10. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Months*
    You guys should start working on it.