The first landing on a comet will proceed in a few hours.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Boozha, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

BurnPyro likes this.
  2. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

so this thing will be able to travel with the comet and we'll see where it goes, or?

3. Boozha

Rosetta will release the lander Philae onto the surface of the comet, which Philae will ride until the comet loses its integrity. At least thats the plan

4. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

In my opinion we should focus on exploring the oceans more. It doesn't make sense as to why we would go explore outside of Earth, when we haven't even fully explored Earth.

5. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

do you want to find a cthulhu? that's how you find a cthulhu.

6. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

I want to find Atlantis.

7. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

is bruce willis landing on it

soulmilk and PurpleTop like this.
  8. Boozha

No, they only brought important stuff

9. Boozha

And we landed. Europe is now ahead in space exploration ;)

10. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

You woulda never made it to that cute little comet if America didn't conquer the moon first. We have a flag up there to prove it

11. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

as long as Europe figures out how to divert planet killing asteroids, I don't mind them paying to be ahead.

PurpleTop likes this.
  12. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

Hopefully they can get the anchor to work.

13. Yelmo

Yelmo Devotee of the Blood Owl

I have to disagree. While it is true that the majority of the ocean depth has been unexplored, and it's been stated that we do know more about space than we do the ocean, I think that what we can learn from space exploration and study can be far more applicable, enlightening and above all else useful to the human race than we ever could by any amount of oceanic exploration. Space exploration can give us a basis for scale on how big (or tiny) we are in the scheme of things. It might sound like science fiction but we may in fact make contact with another planet, and if that happens it will be the single most important moment in humanity.

Beyond that we need to think about our future. Sure we evolved from single cell membranes in our oceans which derived from a system of interacting nutrients in the presence 0f water, but moving forward we know that the earth will one day stop being a habitable planet. Whether it be the slow decay of time or the rapid degeneration due to humans, the earth will eventually become a place where humans can no longer live. You might think that humans will be extinct at that point, but I want you to think about that again..... We will do whatever we can to keep our human race alive. If there is a virus, we will find a cure. If there is an asteroid, we call bruce willis. If the planet is at the point where it is dangerously inhabitable, we will find a new planet to live on. We will branch out to our solar system and beyond to find a new place to introduce the human species. by the time the earth is nothing more than a big ugly rock, we will be far gone exploring further into the universe. Because of this inevitable happening it is crucially important that we begin expending resources to understand outer space so that this outcome can be eventually feasibly blueprinted.

14. Boozha

Which flag? The white one?

(No seriously, its white by now. Still great achievement ;) )

15. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Its really cool, too bad the harpoons didn't fire.

16. Pixyrus

Pixyrus Forum Royalty

I have to agree with this one. I'd rather study things that actually do exist, than imaginary lifeforms. I'm curious on what we have yet to discover down there...The stuff we already know of is already mind boggling.

17. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

I'm not saying space exploration is bad, I think it's cool, but I think we could learn a lot about the Human race through the oceans.

18. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

the only thing you need to know about the human race is that a big asteroid could wipe it out. time to get off this rock.

19. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

Money well spent, "Ebola is on our radar, but it's not top priority; in other news we landed on a comet!"

20. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

The moment they land on the comet they will be 1m km away from earth GL coming back boys