something i've been curious about for a while

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dagda, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

when a thread is made solely as spam, and to be spammed, is that unconstructive? it's sort of a community meeting place, in its own way. think of the infinite thread, for example- that doesn't serve a real purpose aside from getting bumped over and over. there is no topic, there is no core there to latch onto and discuss in any sort of enlightened manner.

and yet it remains unlocked and largely unmoderated, although in fairness most people don't post things requiring moderation in the infinite thread (so far as i am aware)

i suppose my question is this- why do the 'ur fat' threads keep getting closed if the infinite thread stays up? they are the same thing in essence. i have to assume it's because they get reported, because when they're in OT and they're drawing people to them and aside from the (jocular) premise of the thread there's little real insult there, there's just no sense in shutting them down.

now i understand that moles as a person may be sensitive to the needs of the fat people community, but that should be no means impair his decisionmaking as a mod

that last bit may have been too much

2. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

Eh, on the other hand, it could be argued whether or not since we have other threads such as the infinite thread and others if we need additional threads. I personally don't have a problem with them.

However, there is definitely a limit to everything, including spam threads. I've seen places where "Forum Games" and other threads completely take over, though I don't believe in general we have too much of a patience for them here given that relatively more mature audience, but yes, a spam thread that is meant for spam can be something of a detriment to the community as a whole.

Overall, though, if you had a question about a topic, you are always more than welcome to contact a moderator such as myself or Senshu and we'd be happy to have a discussion and take a second look.

PurpleTop likes this.
  3. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

So technically, if I started a constructive thread about "you're fat" would it stay open?

4. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

figure out what "constructive" really means, first

then re-think that question, then don't bother asking it, then make the thread if it seems both relevant and worthwhile

5. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Well you could educate fat people and help them fix their problem, if they see it a problem.

6. MentalMoles

MentalMoles I need me some PIE!

To be honest i'll agree - it is borderline and I applaud the fact you made a constructive thread about it Dagda, the main reason it was locked is that there was no discussion of anything, no real humour and the only way I saw it going was either somebody taking offence or somebody turning it into a ground to insult somebody.

With that being said, if people really like threads like this, I don't really have an issue with them staying open - as long as nobody complains about the thread offending them and nobody uses it as a place to insult people.

As a sign of goodwill i've merged the two threads in question. As long as it stays insult free it'll be left open.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  7. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Yes, I am a robot.

You caught me after all.

Baskitkase and Dagda like this.
  8. Lop

Lop The King of Potatoes

hey dag, if you were a mod, and I made a dagdagdagdagdagdagdagdagdagdagdagdagdagdagdagdagdagdagdagdagdagdagdagdagdagdagdag thread, would you remove it?

9. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

i'd respond with loploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploploplop

and then let it sink to the bottom

SPiEkY likes this.
  10. Pasiphae

Pasiphae The King of Potatoes

In my opinion far to few threads/posts are locked/deleted.

11. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

proud non contributor of the infinite thread

12. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

it must be hard not being truly alive.

13. Well I never. It's gentelmen like you who always have to be ants at a picnic that slowly diffuses the fun

SPiEkY likes this.
  14. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I say, surely he is no gentleman then?

15. An agreeable observation, indeed.

SPiEkY likes this.