New-ish player sand deck

Discussion in 'Sundered Lands' started by OchiK, Nov 29, 2014.

1. OchiK

OchiK The King of Potatoes

Hi there new-ish player here I played back when the savage tundra had been recently released and then again briefly when Sony took over making this new account as I couldn't remember any details of my old account and now again seeing the steam re-release!

Anywho, I've recently made a sand bg that has been pretty interesting in skirmish (I know skirmish isn't a very high benchmark but I'm afraid to fight real people :p) it basically revolves around what I assume are standard sand tactics, pour sand everywhere and abuse hidden: sand, domain: sand, and other sand terrain specific things to gain an advantage.

I can make a mock up of my battlegroup later currently holiday shopping then off to work. So this these terrible names will be from memory.

I have the sand stalker and lord x2 ea, dunewalker x1, myx sandlion x1, sand scorpion x1, sand elemental x2, dune manticore x1, call to war x2, sand engine? x2, sandstorm and sand spout. Basically the core that I use, have some other misc filler like the dRamsay gunner who can shoot 4 times.

My basic strategy consists of trying to lead with the lord or sandlion to capture the first font, oh have sunderpedes I usually send one to capture the secondary font if there is one then push mid. Call to war if a font is going to be contested, or drop a sand engine to help contest and generate sand. Usually between the lord, dunewalker, myx, and sand stalker with call of war support I can easily push to the enemy shrine. Sand elementals to tunnel behind enemies, the sand spell to make sand and blind foes, draconian benediction at or near shrine to push hard and it's gg.

Thoughts better or needed runes? Equip ideas? Just have bonesplitter maul and and a few others but I don't use them.

So far this is a pure SL BG, but not required.

2. OchiK

4 hours left of work will post up an accurate BG then.

But some reflection, I think the biggest weakness is the lack of alt damage and range. The scorpion does have poison and I do have the sand spitter which is a ranged rune in theme. But I majorly rely on melee range physical damage to bludgeon my enemies into submission. Well the sand elemetal is range 2-3 I believe but for a 2x2 champ that seems rather limiting, it's big but can't fight up close but also can't hit much farther then what's standing a tile or two away.

I suppose the most appropriate alt damage type given SL would be acid? But other then scouring jasper or dipping into dragons I don't know much about that, not everything has to be sand though. I also don't really like the skeezicks? Is that blasphemous to say? :x

Also I'm not really expecting this to be top ten ranked meta material I'm under no illusions here, fun factor is more important to me then min-maxing but combos are always good!

Speaking of fun just to give you my experience I did a slirmish against a BG that was full of those KF bear people. It was on the map where there's that long lava lake in the middle but it's a long map not wide so the lake width wasn't much more then 5-7 tiles across at most. But instead of starting at the top and bottom we started on the sides! Well I ran the myx to my top font, a sunderpede down to the bottom, then dropped a sand striker lord? At my shrine followed by call to war and used the lords passive to gen sand within 4 squares at end of turn to make a sand bridge over the lava and marched him and my 3 draksars over the bridge to attack the enemy shrine! Much more was involved in the battle including sunderpedes vs that momma bear that spawns baby bears. But overall it was a very enjoyable experience!

3. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

Skeezick Wylder synergyzes a little with sand and is a ranged magical unit.

4. OchiK

That actually looks like a very nice rune, thank you! :)

5. sharang2

sharang2 The King of Potatoes

He may not be an amazing card but Varu Dragon is sand-themed and dirt cheap on PoxBox, could be worth trying. Between Sonic damage type, flying, and sand gen, he could be really good for this BG.

6. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

I've been loving Varu Dragon in my sand deck lately. 77 nora for multi 3 and sandstriker makes him a serious damage dealer.

7. OchiK

8. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

9. OchiK

Ooo varu dragon looks super good too! Mmm I think I initially steered away from him because he was a rare but I do have some extra credits and other cards to trade in so I'll definitely look into him! Thank you!

10. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

Yeah thats a lot of phisical damage, rolling shriekers have synergy with sand and deal sonic dmg.

Imo 2x sand generators is too much, try adding 2x Myx pupae(relic), when the bug hatches it covers a huge AoE with sand

11. OchiK

I see many familiar faces in there! Not so much some of the draksar and skeezicks and I'm working on getting a quicken/quickening I got lucky and pulled draconian benediction from a pack! Although I haven't looked at how easy it would be to get it on poxbox, I just know I see people asking for it in trade a bunch.

How's the matriarch fair? She can poop out myx and has hidden sand if memory serves? Well most myx seem to anyways that I've seen, which isn't many :p

I read somewhere that the doctor was auto include in all SL BGs is he good? I don't really understand by looking at him sorry :(

12. OchiK

But yeah the gem hide basilisk, draksar gunner, and sunderpedes x2 were very much champ filler, I'll probably cut a sand elemental too, but the sunderpedes have been awesome fun to play so I might keep one or both.

But that would free up 3-4 champ spots, so I'm thinking a skeezick wylder, a varu dragon, maybe doc, maybe another myx will have to look at them again, a shrieker. Cut a sand generator, reevaluate my equips, probably add the sand damage spell burning sand? Try to get one of the quicken-y spells.

I'm not sure about dune walker, keep in mind that other then a couple of champs that were 2-3 star I got in trade all of these guys are 1 star so their "upgrades" might save them.

13. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

The Doctor has pretty amazing heals, plus mutation can give some of your sub-par guys the extra boost they need. He needs to be level 3, though, since his upgrades are what make him useful, really.

Myx Matriarch is currently one of the runes I'm testing out, mostly for the lay pupae thing and cocoon. I run her with the Desert Walker upgrade to get some mobile sand while I wait for Sand Generator to get up to the front lines.

Dune Walker is pretty baller, even though he only has 5 speed, because he has Sand Veil, so he makes a pretty big area of sand when you drop him, plus tunnel gives him the mobility that his speed doesn't.

14. OchiK

Just realized I have a myx drone not sandlion will have to look at him. But I'll look into getting a doctor and I'll play around with dunewalker more.

15. OchiK

I'll have to get a herder too he seems like a good fit, and I forgot sunderpedes have sand tunnel, unforgivably most of my games they don't get to play in the sand much usually they're on secondary font duty or font guard/contesting and the sand dries up when that happens unless a desert walker is helping them.

16. sharang2

sharang2 The King of Potatoes

Herder is not good - Desert Herder is a great ability but on a weak, 92 Nora champ I think you can probably do without. Two Varu Dragons seems a lot stronger than a herder dragon split.

17. Sealer0

Sealer0 I need me some PIE!

Herder is absolutely terrible. Sand elemental seems worse than sand spitter. Call to war is not a good card to rely on, and it doesn't synergise with your deck. Dragonclaw is not a good equip, you would be better off with rage band. Why is diamondhide basilisk there?

Do you have a lot of cards, or do you fill in the gaps with random cards that seem useful, because you lack the good ones?

18. OchiK

Fillers so far :)

19. Gprotein

Gprotein The King of Potatoes

20. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

i used to like sandstorm quite a lot as a one-off. huge aoe for sand generation, more sandblasted is always nice. 4 damage isn't generally relevant, but hey. more often than not i'd use it to create sand cheaply when i needed some to be somewhere

you probably don't want two sandspout, but that's up to you really. been a while since i remade my sandy.dek