Bring Back Drums of War in a New Way

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KPIC, Jan 1, 2015.

1. KPIC

KPIC Devotee of the Blood Owl

@Sokolov, since you are back and after you get some themes back up and going, we need Drums of War back but not in the same way. You need a sponsor who will give real money to winners of monthly and quarterly tournaments about a grand for monthly tournies and three grand for quarterly with a ten grand yearly final tourny.

2. sharang2

sharang2 The King of Potatoes

In order to attract a sponsor, as has happened with other eSports games, you need a large playerbase, a thriving PvP community and a metagame interesting enough to be worth watching. It isn't the default for a sponsor to magically appear and start throwing cash at a game without these things; in fact, sponsorship of video game tournaments is the exception to the rule.

Magic: The Gathering, World of Warcraft, and League of Legends all initially developed a playerbase, reward players with more in-game product, maintained frequent balance updates and immediately hotfixed imbalance within weeks, if not days. Even major balance issues go away or are resolved within a short time in these serious tournament games. (See: CC on rogues and locks in vanilla WoW before DR; every new LoL tanky dps in season 1, CawBlade or Pack Rat in type 2 MTG)

After establishing all of these things, the revenue stream solidified enough that giving away money eventually attracted enough attention that it actually made them more money. Right now, you're saying that DOG should just write monthly checks to BurnPyro or TinyDragon or whomever while pretty much no one watches.

(Why does no one just fix Bouncer's cost? Maybe the code really is such a huge mess that it isn't possible to easily access the characteristics associated with each champion object, but this seems like a fix that can be implemented within 60 seconds. A fix that should've been implemented months ago that would singlehandedly increase the champ diversity in IS and indirectly make other, non IS or non Rock themes more viable.)

Goyo, SaintKiwi and ptjimbo like this.
  3. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

i like the quarterly tourney part bit the prizes should be perhaps be legs or the new runes from the expansion and shards 1000/500/250 for the top 3 and 100 for participating players

4. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

I wish DoW or the tourney system worked abit like Arena in Hearthstone. You have 3 lifes and keep playing until you get X wins or when you run out of lives. Then for each additional win you get the prize increases with prizes being runes, LE reskins, shards, gold, and maybe even packs. I mean currently DoW is not worth it. The prizes are pretty poor unless you're rank 1 of your faction or the rank 1 player so they could do with new prizes or a new system.

5. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

yeah that 25k gold so worth

6. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

Yeah, totes. I wish I could find the time to get 4000 faction points in 2-3 months for less than a box. Im missing out on a great deal here :(

7. WhatTheHex

WhatTheHex The King of Potatoes

How about we get a players base that's bigger than 100 people on peak hours first.

8. KPIC

KPIC Devotee of the Blood Owl

Um no, DOG wouldn't write anybody checks because it is a sponsored tourny.

You people should open your minds. I've been gaming for well over 30 years and have seen games come and go. A tourny system works in two ways: it creates a player base or it builds upon a player base. The rewards I stated are low enough level that it would not take a lot to get sponsored if the marketing ROI was decent, which it would be for Pox. This system would create a player base pretty instantly, and the long-term players would gain more interest with money on the line. It wouldn't really matter who won it whether Burn, which I doubt, or someone else like Tiny. It would drive interest and reward, two motivators for long company development. Once this game had a few themes back up and running, it would be just enough to make it go. The infrastructure is pretty much in place, which means POX could plug and play with little setup.

9. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

I am sure there are sponsors waiting in line to invest in a game that got 30 players during gmt day time.

sharang2, OchiK, SPiEkY and 1 other person like this.
  10. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

reality 404

SPiEkY likes this.
  11. Rokkushun

Rokkushun Devotee of the Blood Owl

it's been pretty consistant as to the people who win tournaments in this game, unless something changes drasticially I think we would be better off just giving said people the prizes.

12. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

consistent and drastically

also, it's probably better to say it like "the tournaments in this game have been pretty consistently won by the same people, ...", but it's still understandable

may or may not keep doing this, but unless you change your sig the risk is always there

anyhow, i agree with the concept of the thread. DoW needs some sort of refurbishing. i think it's hugely unrealistic to ask or expect that pox gets any sort of sponsors of the magnitude described, but this is hardly my field of expertise.

honestly my main quibble is that i don't think the tournaments *would* be won by the same person every time. if there was a real incentive for people to play this game to win, and do so often, i think the level of competition would rise significantly.

13. OchiK

OchiK The King of Potatoes

Sorry bros if we had competitive tourneys again yall couldn't compete with my split sand leoss BG, I run cannoneer x2 just give me the prizes now!

ptjimbo likes this.