For the Sake of the Playerbase...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TeaScholar, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Mister Tuggles

Mister Tuggles I need me some PIE!

The issue with KF bonus is that +1 speed is worth a hell of a lot more than 7-9 nora when you are adding it to 6 and 7 speed champs. It turns 100% playable runes without the bonus into overpowered, undercosted runes. Since the rebalance there is no real downside. Most KF runes have average health and damage, but insane speed/range. It pretty much has made the game no fun to play against them. I don't know if people just underestimate the actual value of an extra speed, or play FF KF and don't want to see it get nerfed.

I would happily pay an extra 7 nora on ALL of my 6/7 speed runes in any faction to gain an extra speed. Hell, try running a fricking Cyclops BG where 95% of your runes are 5/6 speed. Give them +1 speed/-5 or 10 health and they would steamroll everything.

daeminicus likes this.
  2. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

Would AA be broken if both players started the game with their runedocks revealed?

3. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Yeah. The value of speed changes depending on a ton of contextual factors. It's nora cost as per the algorithms and best guesses is fine though. If anything, this is a great example of why having a solid algorithm for balance is both risky and actually a nightmare to setup.

4. potatonuts

potatonuts I need me some PIE!

The reason i don't think for example, the UD bonus is overpowered is because practically their entire faction is either short range or melee, so to take advantage of their free stats they have to endanger their champs and usually use some kind of strategy to make sure you can do enough damage once you get to melee. So even though they are getting very reasonable stats for free, it is balanced in regard to the champions it is applied to.

So of course every champion gets something for free with its faction bonus, but compare it with other bonuses on other champions. I'm thinking about the fleshweaver witch, i use it a lot and like it just how it is so don't take this as a call for a buff. When i use the fleshweaver witch it sits at the back of battle and pretty much only ever dies when i've already lost the game so it never makes use of the FW faction bonus, it gets nothing for free. Any KF champ in the entire faction gets to make use of that +1 speed from the moment it enters the game. I don't think an entire faction having a bonus which is in effect 100% of the game is in any way balanced when compared to factions which can potentially have bonuses in effect for 0% percent of the game.

Now that i've said that, maybe a way to balance the bonus is have the +1 speed only trigger at certain times, like after being attacked for example.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  5. Mister Tuggles

I don't think the value of speed changes at all. ANY champ getting +1 speed makes is excessively more valuable.

I think everyone can agree with this other than people who run FF decks to abuse the bonus mechanics.

I will post this from my previous post, as I think this would be very beneficial to the game/balance in its entirety.

Fonts lose all bonuses. They will just change the terrain:

KF gets veg
    ST gets snow
    UD gets fire (kind of like the 2hp dmg you take now)
    FW gets DMZ
    IS gets rock
    SP gets, I guess rock?
    SL gets sand
    FS gets water

Make the ff bonus be something entirely mediocre and non-game breaking. Maybe make Split Faction BGs get 0 faction bonus, and the full factions get the old split faction bonus. I think that is entirely doable. Would rid us of the horrible unbalance between factions we have now as I can't really think of any split faction bonus that is OP.

After the font/faction bonuses are finally brought back in like DOG can start working towards balancing the actual runes/themes of the game.

6. Revengercm

Revengercm I need me some PIE!

anyways what's the biggest amount of players online poxnora has ever gotten? I think when the expansion with maxxarek in it released (forgot which one) I think I saw 600. Was looking into some 2006-2008 pictures and didn't saw anything surprising.

7. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

Yes. Draw-win issues are just a part of it. By going incorporeal and casting Protection you can choose when you want to be damaged. You have lots of heal and Escape Magic so it's not like it's gonna be easy to kill anyway and it has 8 spd with high damage (and is buffable by Time Slip) so it can also kill stuff really well. The problem is what AA is as a champion combined with the kind of support he has available to it.

8. Elves Rule

Elves Rule I need me some PIE!

The point of KF having the +1spd is because their champs can't normally stand up to things like an average UD or SL champ. They need the speed to outmanoeuvre enemies and get an extra attack off. I guess that's why everyone hates things like AA, because he CAN stand up to other faction's champs, so the +1spd makes him extra OP.

9. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

If KF champions have less stats or abilites then UD or Sl champion they also have less nora cost because of it.Also faction bonuses are not included in the champions cost.Are you an kf player?

10. Mister Tuggles

KF champs aren't really sub-par stat wise compared to the other factions anymore. The total revamp of the champs brought just about every champ up to snuff. Some just got horribly pounded in the ass with high costs (most legendaries/limiteds, and some exotics).

11. WhatTheHex

WhatTheHex The King of Potatoes

Champions are designed around a faction.

12. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

A faction bonus or playstyle doesnt lower or increase the nora cost.Its more of a balance issue then that of design.

13. Elves Rule

Elves Rule I need me some PIE!

Yeh, I play KF. Probably the main reason I try to defend it. But hey, that's only because of elves.

14. potatonuts

potatonuts I need me some PIE!

This is the point though, maneuverability isn't their only tool to fight back with by a long way. They have huge amounts of ranged units which deal good damage and some extremely powerful control spells. So if you were careless enough to leave your vulnerable ranged unit too close to the enemy, popping a spell to save them is a fair trade off.

On top of this they absolutely do not need it to deal damage, Falconer has 11 base damage, hawk attack for +4 and 3 from eviscerate, that is 18 damage from a 53-59 nora unit, 20 if it has the domain vegetation buff. Deadly Tracker has deep wounds, Elven Archer has barrage, Arrowsinger is Firking Arrowsinger and the list goes on and on.

Their range, combined with ability to attack aggressively because of their huge damage and AP allows them to kill most units before their need to escape even becomes relevant and this is what usually pushes people off of fonts in a turn or two and wins them games effortlessly.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
    Netherzen likes this.
  15. Gust Gord

Gust Gord Member

I seriously have been preaching about the EXACT same thing

16. Revengercm

What I'm building right now is an anti range UD bg. It's a MUST for any UD player. That or get yourself some good range... oh wait.

17. Mister Tuggles

Hope you are sitting on some 9 range units, oh wait, that's only happening in kf.

18. Revengercm

wait but if you don't have enough range units you can spend real money to have MORE options with exo and legs... oh wait.

19. Sepulcher

Sepulcher I need me some PIE!

Wow, really?

Just dropped in to check up on the game. Can't BELIEVE AA is still the same. It's seriously BAFFLING.

Poxlife likes this.
  20. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

When you post I get a chubby.

Sepulcher, TruthSeek and SPiEkY like this.