Faction Bonuses - Scale Down?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. polltroy

polltroy I need me some PIE!

First good logical argument. This I accept. So it can explain why themes can give some increased diversity within factions. As already mentioned, Im not against themes, just dont make them too strong, so all is about themese, not about factions or other things. Let it be possible to combine 2 or 3 themese in one deck and let factions still matter. Then there will be lots lots of diversity. Its easy to calculate and understand if you think about possible amounts of combinations.

2. Mister Tuggles

Mister Tuggles I need me some PIE!

There already IS a ton of diversity when combining themes. You just have to think outside of the box, and look at a faction as pieces to a puzzle instead of it just being the entire image.

3. polltroy

Yes, but this discussion s about making themes inside factions much more stronger and tone down factions. This is what I fear will mean less diversity and definately less creativity. Themes may need to be strengthened a bit (or rather more made possible), but not at the cost of lessening faction imporatance and not to make some themes too strong and big so u dont need to combine them or think when making good BGs.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  4. Nea

Nea I need me some PIE!

This is a fallacious argument since toning down faction bonuses tones down all themes within that faction, they are on the same boat. You could argue that this benefits splits, not themes.

5. polltroy

SOK said he wants to make themes stronger and tone down factions, so themes within factions replace diversity function of factions. Im against this as I argue if themes are made more strong and/or factions more weak, it will promote to make decks built around one theme only and these kinds of decks are very limited in numbers, hence we will have less diversity. Also, with the centaur example, within a strong theme also the deck diveristy is very limited. So with strong themes we get very few "types" of decks and they all look very similar, ie not so much diversity, not so much creativity. Only with effective decks allowed to have multiple themes inside same deck and preferably with faction variation on top, we get huge diversity and allow for huge creativity. The possibilities are endless and each player can find his own "theme combination/faction combination" to try out again and again.

6. Nea

Nea I need me some PIE!

You are doing it again. If before we had only 1 meta deck with slight variations and after the change we have meta + 5 themes the diversity has increased, not decreased. What you call diversity is having more options to choose from when constructing a deck, and on that account you are correct - themes have less options than factions, which have less options than splits, which have less options than (long dead for a reason) circus. Having more options by default gives FF good stuff decks an edge over themes, ergo themes usually compensate with greater synergy.

7. polltroy

also on top of this, the faction bonus itself creates diversity and creativity. Take as example a garu theme. With faction bonuses, this theme plays totally different if its FF or KF/UD, or KF/any faction. Without faction bonus, there is just "one" garu theme, with, there are 9 ways to play them theoretically. So yea this allows for a lot of creativity. If we assume each deck has room for 2 themes and each faction has 3 themes and each theme can be used in 9 ways depending on faction bonus applied, it already has endless combinations to consider. Thats just with 3 subthemes in each faction! If we use only major "premade" themes where its only effective to base the BG around 1 theme it means only some spilt is possible for each theme (Beast have several possible ones, Savage has like 2, zombies maybe 2 etc). Much much less possible combinations. Much much less creativity within themes and for decks in general.

8. polltroy

No, thats what i call creativity. Diversity is what I call if we see different kinds of decks in play or no diversity if they all look the same. If the Devs create x amount of themes and only these are viable, we can all understand the games we will see (well the top rank ones) will be only around these themes. And within the themes the creativity is very limited too so games will look very similar. If we instead have "subthemes" so you can combine both themes and factions and faction bonuses to create viable good decks, then there is LOTS of diversity and LOTS of creativity. If you take away faction and themes completely, we have circus and of course it means only good stuff is used. So what I say is we need themes, but not too strong. And we need strong faction bonuses and difference between factions. The more "big" choices that also limit, the more diversity and creativity. The more importnat premadethemews and less "limiting" choices, the less diversity outside the premade major themes.

9. Nea

Nea I need me some PIE!

You really need to stop changing the meaning of words that are well established in the lingo of this game if you wish to be understood.

SPiEkY likes this.
  10. polltroy

So how else do you define diversity and creativity? So it seems you are against high diversity and creativity because according to your definition that means circus? Well I dont think thats what SOK and others mean when they say they want to increase diversity.

11. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I have already said all this, but let me try again.

At the beginning, there were no factions (well, there were, but they didn't mean anything, and you weren't restricted to anything).

You had ALL the options. You could build any deck with anything you wanted. This, in theory, was the age of diversity - you weren't limited to anything. You were completely free to build a deck of all dwarves or elves, or just use the best 2 dwarves, and 2 best elves, plus 2 best demons.

Of course, if you wanted to win, you had to do the latter, and in general, when we talk about diversity - what we care about is META diversity. That is, what decks are actually viable. Players WANTED to run all Dwarves, but they also wanted to win.

So, what happened? How did the early Octopi Devs respond?

They created faction bonuses, and the idea of Full Faction decks and Split Decks.

You could no longer run anything you wanted. You were restricted to these "factions," which, for all intents and purposes, were basically themes. UD was all demons then basically, KF was almost entirely elves, IS was mostly dwarves, etc.

What was the result? Was diversity and creativity reduced?

On the contrary, these restrictions increased meta diversity. More decks were now viable. All Dwarf decks could now compete because they were competing against All Elf decks, rather than "best of everything" decks.

As each faction's rune base expanded, we started to get into this problem again. Each faction now had a mess of runes, many of which remained un-used because they weren't "meta." If you played UD, you just played the best runes from UD (if you cared about winning).

This is where themes come in, again. By creating synergies between specific groups of runes, you are, in a way, again creating factions (this time within a faction). And the same thing happened as with factions. As themes were developed and fleshed out, we saw, with data, that the meta was diversifying. More stuff was being ran, successfully, by top players. One of the interesting things about themes tho is that they aren't specific to a faction either. Psychic decks can be any combination of FS, FW, or UD, for example.

The problem currently is that the revamp set a lot of themes back, and most players are now playing good stuff, and the bemoaning about a lack of a diversity is largely based on that. The themes still exist, but many just aren't runnable (or fun). So I am here to fix that.

~

Bottom line:

Theoretical diversity in a world without themes or factions is just that, theoretical, and leads to decreased actual meta diversity. It's strange to argue for factions while arguing against themes because they are, in fact, the same mechanicism applied to different subsets.

Yes, it is possible to decrease diversity if the only meta viable decks you allow are pre-made decks, but that is not what anyone here is talking about. It's not a binary equation.

To bring it a more general point, games are generally interesting and fun to play because of the rules and restrictions they place us in.

12. Mister Tuggles

Mister Tuggles I need me some PIE!

You are a kf player, aren't you?

When you answer yes, I will know why you are complaining so much.

13. Nea

Nea I need me some PIE!

This is not only a straw man, but also putting words into my mouth that I never said, and that's just rude. I tried to explain to you that what YOU call diversity in YOUR example of a centaur theme is not how diversity is understood here. Time and time again you use words like "diversity" and "creativity" with no consistency, you do seem to make some good points, but it gets lost in your inability to articulate yourself precisely and causes you to antagonize people to yourself with arguments where both parties talk over each other.

14. polltroy

So what has this all to do with reducing faction bonuses? I do agree, to a certain degree, themes are good and needed, but they should not be so strong so they "only" allow the preset splits, but also allow at least split themes to be possible. Still I dont see why you say there is need to remove or lessen faction bonuses and how this is related to recreating themes. I understood from your early arguments that you wanted to say now its "ok" to kill faction bonuses because we have strong themes instead. Thinnk the opposity. Now we need faction bonuses because we dont have strong themes and if you make themes stronger, but not too strong, that is good and together with faction bonuses it can have a chance to give the diversity we all want so much. Because the devs creativity is only allowing for so many "ok" themes to be thought out and if you give that extra dimension with strong faction bonuses, the players have a chance to contribute into this and find cool combinations, something that now has become more and more difficult after the revamp, when the number of abilities and are less and the options to modify/upgrade champs to fit your creative new idea is basically nonexcisting.

15. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

It doesn't. Faction bonuses do nothing to promote diversity - in many cases, they actually serve to homogenize each faction's runes. Play ST? Everything has high HP. Play KF? Everything is fast.

You are the one who seems to think reducing faction bonuses will reduce diversity for some reason I cannot understand.

SPiEkY likes this.
  16. polltroy

If this is true it is very bad andembarassing. Please give us a stringent definition of creativity and diversity for this game. Maybe it will make communicating easier afterwards.

17. polltroy

its because you think only about FF, but I think mainly about splits.

Take the Garu. Assume you play 50% champs and 50% other runes. So you can have a split with all champs garu. Now take one of those garu. This guy will play totally different if FF KF or spilt ST/KF or UD/KF or SP/KF etc, simply because his stats and other bonuses will make him totally different. So with strong faction bonuses, it means each "theme" has more versions of it, meaning more options for the player (both the deckbuilder and the opponent). if you add the possibility to make themes not so important so a good deck can have more than one theme, it gives endless more options.

18. Monyx

Monyx I need me some PIE!

yea this is pretty laughable what is 1 nora compared to 1 damage on all your champs. its ridiculous.

this is something u cant just do without serious thought. like hey lets just cut everything in half.....you cant do that.....

you have to think BALANCE.

think about it which one would u rather have? 1 nora per turn or 1 damage on all your champs.

its silly.

19. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

Creativity can be something different and unique, like Nora Link in Centaur Regulator. It's a good ability that doesn't see play because the champion itself pretty much only has that going for it.

Diversity would be the amount of playstyles you can have in a champion, or even theme. You can make many different beast BG's only counting splits, quite a few fire BG's, and with expansion at least 3 more split psychic BG's. Yesterday I saw a KF/IS BG with magnetic Rover and the new equip, and it is actually strong.

20. Nea

Nea I need me some PIE!

Funny thing is that I did give you an explanation of how diversity is understood here and how you misuse the word, you called that post logical and agreed with it, and then continued to misuse it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.