Verdant Promise vs Unassuming Tree

Discussion in 'K'Thir Forest' started by xezno, Jan 24, 2015.

1. xezno

xezno I need me some PIE!

Verdant Promise
    - Cost 45 nora
    - Required to target a champ you assume will die in 6 turns (hints they will probably be in a hostile zone)
    - If they die a Unassuming Tree SUMMON will appear in their spot

Unassuming Tree
    - Cost 45 nora
    - Can be placed anywhere a relic can be placed (out of harms way since it has a 3 round cooldown)
    - REAL = Can contest

Am I missing something? I would NEVER run this spell, ever. Am I in the wrong? What am I missing?

2. Pathfnder

Pathfnder Devotee of the Blood Owl

true, the fact that it would always be in an unsafe location reduces its viability.

doesnt it also reset the cookdown though?

definitely overpriced either way

3. polltroy

polltroy I need me some PIE!

come on you guys thought KF would get a runnable spell in this expansion? KF?

4. xezno

Yeah when it "summons" it has the 3 round cooldown :(

Unassuming Tree is equal or better in every way.

5. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

The spell does set the dead champion's CD to 1 so there is an extra effect. Still, it seems pretty terrible. It is very, very, unlikely that an opposing player will let the tree sit long enough to become a champion.

6. xezno

Since I now feel I am not just crazy, what would be a viable solution? Cost reduction (how cheap would it have to be to actually run and not be OP?)? Ability change?

Here is what I came up with (plus thought process for added bonus!) but I am sure someone else could do better:

First thought was a perseverance + vortex style thing but we already have escape magic.

It has a picture of a vashal + tree which is odd since Unassuming Tree is a Garu. Theme revamp coming up, so lets help out Vashal.

Verdant Promise: Tree relic with bodyguard is summoned to selected space (same sprite as Unassuming Tree so no added cost) with 20hp and 2def. Cost 30 nora. 5 nora discount for each Vashal in play up to 10 nora.

Etherielin and Tweek516 like this.
  7. Poxbrothers

Poxbrothers Devotee of the Blood Owl

Just make it 40 nora and spawn in the closest deployment zone?

8. xezno

Question: Would you run the spell over Unassuming Tree with those changes?

9. Poxbrothers

Poxbrothers Devotee of the Blood Owl

You could run both according to what you want. I don't like to use either really.

10. xezno

I don't play garu, never have, so I have no idea if Unassuming Tree is even viable (I would ask Covell but I have never seen the guy talk). Personally it is a relic I just stay away from. So why would I want a spell that is a worse version of something I already don't run. On top of that it has a picture of a Vashal in the tree, not a garu. If @Sokolov would so humor us to change it, why not make it something playable. A relic with bodyguard would be amazing. Plus Vashal need something to help them out and it would be thematic.

Any other viable idea I am all for however I don't think a price reduction would do it.

11. polltroy

make it 35 nora and make it pop quicker... goes for the normal Three too, make it pop 2 turns earlier

12. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

On a related note, Garu Hunter looks pretty good now, especially in his respective theme.

13. polltroy

Garu theme was killed when they nerfed GDM, Dugon and Kodiak. Only thing left for Garu is amp Magic.

14. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

I couldn't say what the theme as a whole looks like (having never given it much attention) so I will take your word for it. Whatever it's other problems may be, a 66 nora champ with 12 Damage, 6 (+1) Speed, +5 Damage when a Garu is attacked, and a 10 Nora discount on your next Garu seems quite nice in said theme. Leastways, he is no longer single-handedly ruining Unassuming Tree or this new spell by having Nemesis, which is why I brought him up.

DarkJello likes this.
  15. ChiaoLung

ChiaoLung I need me some PIE!

I'd love to see it changed to give vegetation and/or a pacify effect rather than the tree. Maybe prismatic crystals or a reduced version of Reclaim? AoE 1, lasts for 2 turns?

16. TheNidhogg

TheNidhogg I need me some PIE!

Do summoned relics not contest anymore?

17. ChiaoLung

ChiaoLung I need me some PIE!

No, that was changed with the expansion.

18. Molosse

Molosse I need me some PIE!

Hey Nid, you back about?

19. Pathfnder

Pathfnder Devotee of the Blood Owl

garu hunter is awesome since they finally got rid of nemesis.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  20. Molosse

Molosse I need me some PIE!

He is a damn fine rune, with Leverage he works at 56n for a lot of good damage, mobility and utility in a decent form of Garu detection. He's one of the better Garu at this point.