Should thematic abilities always be an upgrade path?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by devilsrath, Jan 28, 2015.

?

Should thematic upgrades always be an upgrade path?

1. Yes

35.6%
  2. No

64.4%
  1. devilsrath

devilsrath I need me some PIE!

And does this increase or decrease deck diversity?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  2. WolfBones

WolfBones The King of Potatoes

I'm a newbie so you elaborate more what you mean? I might have an opinion if I knew what it was.

3. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

For example, on the IS Wings, champions like Scarlet Wing, Obsidian Wing, etc have their Sigil ability on base. Whereas some champs like Hyaenids have their Racial abilities on the upgrade trees.

I would vote, maybe.

Depends on the theme.

4. devilsrath

devilsrath I need me some PIE!

As in new abilities like reclaim materials, old abilities like skeezick alliance. Should they always be an upgrade path so that the player can "chose away from" the theme, and perhaps play the same rune in decks that aren't sandbagged with theme based abilities. Or should they be base abilities?

5. WolfBones

WolfBones The King of Potatoes

Hmm I can go with yes they should be an upgrade path diverisity for players is what keeps an mmo alive imo.

6. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

I voted yes, althought there are special instances in which it should be on base. (Lore/Theme staple rune)

7. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

It depends... Can't vote.

8. Sealer0

Sealer0 I need me some PIE!

Unless it is some very flavourful/theme opening abillity I think that every racial, which procs a bonus from more units of the same race/class, should be on an upgrade path.

9. iPox

iPox Forum Royalty

Voted no, because I think themes should be promoted,
    and I believe that this would promote themes.
    But I'm not adamant in my opinion.

Derived from DMr's example: You wouldn't want to play a Hyaenid outside a Hyaenid BG.
    If all Champions had a thematic sandbag that would only work well within its theme, I believe that would be a good thing, because it would increase BG diversity, since it would punish general good-stuff BGs.

You would want to play a Champion outside it's theme because it offers something special, not because it's the most efficient Champion available to you.

mortal ix likes this.
  10. WhatTheHex

WhatTheHex The King of Potatoes

I really would say most of the time "yes" but your pol states "Always" so I have to vote no here.

11. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Theme abilities in upgrades makes a champion have more meta attractiveness since on base it could have a sand bag effect.

12. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

depend on the the themes like loess should be a their abilities on base but things such as goblins its not that important

13. Sealer0

Sealer0 I need me some PIE!

Care to explain?

14. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I would vote 'sometimes'.

Some champs you might want to be theme specific, or to be sandbagged outside the theme.

Other champs you might want to be meta champs with theme options.

15. Molosse

Molosse I need me some PIE!

There's also the issue of champions appearing in more than one theme to consider, take Garu Chosen for example: As both a Wizard and a Garu he can find places in both Wizards/Garu BG's, however one of his upgrade paths consists of Protective/Impenetrable/Hibernate. By having Protective as an upgrade this means the Chosen has the ability to customize his ability load out for each thematic BG, in Garu he usually grabs Protective and in Wizards he tends to grab Impen/Hiber.

So in answer to the OP's question: Sometimes.

16. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

If a rune only fits in one theme, then yes. Take Bloodhowler Alpha as an example. Its purpose is a melee beater in a Kanen BG. It has Unleash and Pack Leader on base.

Runes that fit in two themes could go two ways. First, they could be like Kiergana, with abilities for both themes on both trees so you could pick a build for either theme. Second, one theme could be chosen and the rune could be adjusted to have the thematic abilities on base with new upgrade trees. Then a second rune could be released to fill the other role that the rune filled initially. For Kiergana, that wouldn't work within the lore as she is both Kanen and Stitched, but I think it would work for other champs.

17. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

18. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

It's interesting you quoted him in agreement, Pede, but you and him voted opposite :D

19. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

So my perspective on this is like many people... it depends. But in general I lean towards no.

The reason is the same as the one for removing factions.

Having everything be meta viable (without theme sandbags or artificial restrictions) increases potential diversity, but in reality is more likely to decrease actual meta diversity.

In either case, one direction I am trying to move towards with new development is "soft" themes such as the way Aurora Lancer keys off conditions, and how the new Psychic runes in FS works not only with Firk, but also Jellebrium (in theory) and splits (FW or UD Psychic).

Baskitkase, Gust Gord, Qucas and 2 others like this.
  20. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

I didnt get the vote at first. Damn brazilians, dont know english well. ;)