The Ronin: Shattered Peaks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SaintKiwi, Jan 29, 2015.

1. SaintKiwi

SaintKiwi I need me some PIE!

I have played these runes extensively everyday since their release. I compare their power level to the other factions and I feel cheated. What were you guys thinking in terms of roles and costing for these champs? Why on earth would anyone run Cyclopean Firecase (a rune that costs roughly the same as falconer)? Firecase is complete garbage, has a lame name, and has no defined role. He is essentially a 60 nora death nova champ with leap. What is speckled fesh suppose to be? The design is everywhere/random making it ultimately useless. Warsmith is a boring support unit with Mason and Boost. Why give us a construct support unit when SP barely has any? If I wanted to do a split with IS, I would use their tinkers because they are superior. Warcart is a boring 2x2 beater that is immensely outclassed a fourth of the cyclops. I also believe there is no need for an 8 speed champ in SP. Artificer is without a doubt the best unit SP has received in this expansion. He is overcosted like everything else from this expansion (aside from Warsmith). The addition of chuck rusty firecase is useless (see freezebug/spider). Weaken spells in a faction with spell resistance is dull and unwanted. The equip SP got was Moga Magnet. I've experimented with it various times in single player. It falls short to vicious harpoon and has no use in any bg at all. The spells SP received are strong when used correctly. Ionization is like a baby alacrity (useless in a non electricity deck aside from alt damage). Nora storm is wimpy unless used in conjunction with lightning rod in the midst of battle. In conclusion, I am disappointed in the devs for what SP has received in this expansion. The design isn't solid and feels sloppy in terms of costing.

2. Molosse

Molosse I need me some PIE!

Can't say I quite agree with your comments on the 'Clops, it's a story motivated enhancement to an existing theme in the form a small sub-module, in this case Constructs. Artificer for example adds a decent bit to 'Clops without breaking into the module proper in any case, though I will admit that Warsmith is damn lacklustre if you didn't want to push the Construct module.

Also Chuck Rusty Firecase is in every sense of the word a great ability, you throw the champion out at a variable range, do immediate damage followed by Aura 2 damage and when the thing dies you gain 3 nora back and it creates lava in an area. It's a good ability.

soulmilk likes this.
  3. Atherhog

Atherhog I need me some PIE!

Moga Cannon needs to be a construct - make this happen

limone1981 likes this.
  4. JaceDragon

JaceDragon I need me some PIE!

for the sake of all the good there is in the world, why? What on this champ make you think "Hey, it's a strux!"

5. Strings

Strings Devotee of the Blood Owl

There is an engine struck on the back of that thing.

6. Atherhog

Yeah, looks like its probably been modified with some engineering to me.

7. Strings

You could even say someone constructed that engine and / or cannon?

BurnPyro likes this.
  8. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Yeah, buff Moga Cannon!

9. SaintKiwi

Okay completely ignore my post and nitpick a couple things. In order for SP to have a construction theme it must have enough constructs. why have support for a champ that doesn't exist in the faction? Firecase is a terrible rune. Don't try to defend it. Chuck firecase is alright, but if you read my thread freezebug and the spider are better. Freeze bug does the same thing except with 17 damage.

10. Atherhog

I know right... he would need some kind of tone down, but look at it! It has a freaking engine thing strapped to its ass!

11. Molosse

Hey yeah, it's almost like I disagreed with a few key points and made note of them. How dare I.

Beyond that mate themes need to start somewhere and some aren't as lucky to have all that Clops/Constructs got thrown at them in one expac, give it time and you'll seen additions and changes that bring it to a valid form of play. As of now, as my post said, it's an interesting module within a fairly straight-forward theme. The runes work well within that module and in time they'll be brought in line with the rest of the theme.

12. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- Nah man...that's like bio-organic combustion...like those bigass bugs in starship troopers...insex race or gt-fo

13. Qno2

Qno2 The King of Potatoes

I'll also agree that SP got shafted this expansion. Some things looked ok but all in all, nothing that interesting. Also could do with buffing cyclops artifer (this has nothing to do with the fact that he has an abysmal trade value such that nobody wants him and I've been trying to offload one I got in a box...)

Gust Gord likes this.
  14. Gust Gord

Gust Gord Member

When we talk of balance and rune efficiency it's better not to include themes/lore because the majority of the community doesn't give a Firk just focus on the balance

15. Gust Gord

Gust Gord Member

You can do some things with the new sp runes in fact someone invented a deck that's a very op but I will not share what his bg contains though for its power will spark an age of unbalance

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  16. Molosse

You know. I didn't even mention Firecase in my post, but I've gone ahead and looked at it and I'm not certain where I see it being poor?
    It's a pseudo-7spd champ with Leap 3 for 53n, it punishes melee attackers with damage shield and leap put's it where it wants for Annihilate, Defensive Turtle ensures it grabs that font for one extra turn and when it does die you'll be refused 3n if you have Artificer out. All in all? Decent rune, maybe not Meta but certainly thematic.

Woffleet likes this.
  17. SaintKiwi

Firecase is trash. If your truly think he among the other new champs are good, feel free to run them against me so I can show you how low their powerlevel is compared to other factions.

18. Molosse

Don't know what to tell you mate, he looks decent on paper.

19. Pixyrus

Pixyrus Forum Royalty

I have to agree, and I don't even play Shattered Peaks. I have to say, out of all the factions, they got screwed the most... It was either IS/SP constructs or electricity. Sorry 'bout your luck, but the minority always gets ****ed over. ;)

20. Nebron

Nebron I need me some PIE!

My issue with it was that it was basically a repeat of hyaenids, we get a few runes for a subtheme to a theme which seems to be out of the blue and doesn't relate to the core theme outside the new runes that started it. Even now djinn aren't a major thing in nids and if I had my way they wouldn't be linked with them anymore to prevent scenarios like what clops are now facing where you have a subtheme which HAS to get more new runes burned on it while the stuff you just got is dead weight until it does.

I never intended ionization to be used in anything outside of a lightning bg so i'm still happy with how that turned out and i think magnet has a lot of promise we just need some other stuff to go along with it. I didn't care for the other new spell since you're basically trading nora for a small amount of damage on the enemy when you could just run boulder instead.

21. Strings

In a different thread, I made a point about how themes have a potential to limit diversity and this is a good example. Cyclop and Nids are generally costed out of the Meta BG's because of their theme abilities and subsequently you Need to constently add to their theme to keep them above water, otherwise they sink and you just don't seem them being run.