Maps being odd numbered with fonts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Revengercm, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Revengercm

Revengercm I need me some PIE!

I like every map that has an odd # with fonts. The reason is because you're pushed to get the middle font and you have to move all your champs fast. The thing is idk if maps with 2,4 (ST 6 fonts is ok) fonts are balanced because what sometimes happens is that someone camps it out till you move your units and as an UD players this is very annoying because we lack of range and we must rush the enemy before they camp pretty much a good setup if anything comes at 5 range of them, even if you camp as well they will hit you 1-3 hits with their good range so camping is not as good as any other faction would be. This isn't pointing to any specific player but It has been played before and it is lack of strategy of mine or the game's unbalance itself which doesn't let me win at a situation like this.

Rokkushun likes this.
  2. Morfeas

Morfeas I need me some PIE!

Good point about UD, agree with most of what you said.

3. Gust Gord

Gust Gord Member

Terrible point if you play correctly you can easily maneuver your units around and effectively conquer your opponent. Do you even LL, nerd?

4. Revengercm

Sorry don't listen to no lifers.

5. Pixyrus

Pixyrus Forum Royalty

As much as I despise Grune, that stereotypical idea that people who are high rank or actually TRY in games have no life, makes no sense. Maybe the person (definitely NOT Grune) is just naturally good at the game, or maybe they are competitive in games.

6. Revengercm

I meant his forum part though. Wasting his time posting stuff nobody cares.

7. Pixyrus

Pixyrus Forum Royalty

In that case, Grune is a no lifer.

8. narvoxx

narvoxx I need me some PIE!

I like several even font maps, those where the shrines are rather close to opposing fonts or a center battle

9. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I have a personal fondness for Shores. That aside, I do like midfont maps.

10. Revengercm

I'm not saying if people like it or not. I'm asking if it's balance as an UD players and hoping I get an answer on why it is balance if it is.

11. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

Like i said i really like the skirmish version of darkmarsh cause it utilises the whole map only a few maps like lost city and elemental and graves does that
    2 fonts are good like shores but the SL 2 font is easy to loose if your opponent rushes
    those ones that do are fun because your opponent can't completely rush you and there still a way to come back when you lost a mid font

12. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I have a fondness for Shores because I think it is a balanced map. Perhaps it's more conducive to standoffs than others, but in a way that permits maneuvering and melee engagements if properly handled.

13. Revengercm

The thing is you can camp it out with range really easily if you have 1 font and he has 1 font. So nothing will happen till someone moves to attack. They will attack twice per turn with their crazy ranged champs but you can't do that in UD so that is when camping is effective. If it were odd numbered well UD rushes the mid font and if the player decides to camp after losing the mid font, you could just wait and receive enough nora to beat his setup so he is pushed to attack you.

14. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I understand your point, and theoretical flow of the game; you made that clear in your OP. My point is that, in plenty of circumstances, a melee-heavy composition can still profitably engage on this map because of its construction. The actual field of engagement is narrow, and the 12 tile natural spacing allows early contestation by either player, should they so desire.

15. scrampy

scrampy I need me some PIE!

Really depends on your BG. Some BG's are naturally going to be stronger on some maps than others. Things like attrition, phalanx, etc. will benefit from even numbered font maps whereas fast moving maps that force early engagements will favor BGs that are strong in the early game, like UD.

chickenpox2 likes this.
  16. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

Personally speaking I find maps that let people camp frustrating and dull, K'thir river especially so. But I also recognise that not every map should suit a rushy type player.

To be honest, k'thir river is the only map that i feel i can't force a fight early, maybe big ST too but that map is annoying for a lot of reasons.

17. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Agreed. I think even-fonted maps are enjoyable so long as a player can prompt an at-least-even engagement if they desire. Hence, something like Shores or City are good maps. It may require greater focus on how to actually establish this fight, but it is always possible.