Rune Discussion: Goblin Spellkaiser (Week 1)

Discussion in 'Underdepths' started by IMAGIRL, Feb 20, 2015.

?

Next weeks featured rune?

1. Balefire Knight

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Imp familiar

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. Hook Fiend

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Shadow Hunter

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

[​IMG]
    Just want to get others thoughts on the little guy.

(I plan to do this rune discussion once a week.)

2. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

His Old Kit.

[​IMG]

Leadrz likes this.
  3. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

My thoughts.

Cast: Cauterize puts him too close to the enemy. The Defile does help Hex stay.

Hex: Very nice dmg reduction.

Magical Bomb: ~8 dmg, and halving defense, once every 3 rounds. No.

Teleport: Nice mobility.

One with Nora: I am of the mindset that a passive guy like this either needs a way to heal back the life he lost, or this ability ends up being wasted while I Sac/Retri him for something else.

Suggested changes.

Remove One with Nora. Replace with Flame Thrower.

This will drop his default cost from 74 to 71, and give him some extra use, while the Magical Bomb is on CD.

Possibly Remove Cast: Cauterize. Replace with ???

Leadrz likes this.
  4. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

My experience with OwN on spellkaiser has been overwhelmingly positive. He's always been a very good harasser and in the days of reckless tele he was a great font runner. He's still a decent one but less overwhelmingly so.

PiPPoInZ9 and Leadrz like this.
  5. Scarebear

Scarebear Devotee of the Blood Owl

I would like to play goblins as a theme in the future so my opinion might be skewed but I would prefer he lost cauterize and gained flamethrower. OwN is necessary for full theme to hold the frontline. Cauterize though useful has lost its luster since the bomb nerf. Kaiser twiddles his thumbs a lot.

As an extra bonus flamethrower isn't penalized by glooms depression.

6. Raikan

Raikan I need me some PIE!

He used to be a great rune (likely 2x autoinclude in meta or fire). Right now, he has two problems. First, he has too much AP or too few abilities (after the bomb CD increase, this is a global issue for champions that don't have a basic attack). His three abilities are CD:3, AP:4 (Magic Bomb), CD: 2, AP: 3 (Hex), and CD:4, AP:3 (Cauterize). So over 4 rounds, he'll need 13 ap to use all of his abilities. But he'll generate 24 ap, leaving a 12 ap surplus. Second, he pays the full price for 9 damage, but unlike every other 1 range champion, he has no basic attack. So he's getting less value out of 9 damage champion with magic bomb on it. Like the first problem, this is also global. Other runes have a similar problem (for example, ritual cultist).

Personally, I think the solution is that champions without a basic attack should pay a reduce price for damage (although I don't have a specific percentage in mind). Barring that, though, I think a better idea would be to reduce his damage to 0 and give him a fixed damage ability similar to magic bomb. He'll likely still need a manual price reduction to compensate for the fact that the faction bonus will be useless on him.

7. PiPPoInZ9

PiPPoInZ9 The King of Potatoes

I liked him from the day he was released. OwN is his most unique (in UD) feature, so I`d prefer if it is left on him. The lack of theme (and decent champs) in goblins is another topic.

I would like to see some UD champ get "Cast:Eye for an Eye". Yeah that will make for great combos with Sac or Ret, but that`s the point of playing UD. Maybe Spellkaiser is the one? I would honestly enjoy it on AoP, because that will make her something different than another beater.

8. Scarebear

Kaiser casting eye for an eye on himself could be problematic :p

9. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

I still think he should have reckless teleport 1 he was one of the original champs to have it i don't get why it was romoved from him
    firstly it will reduce his cost by 3 or 1 for rank 2
    secondly he the only fast moving champ goblin so he needs to be able to move quickly away from opponents

PiPPoInZ9 and Authyrtyr like this.
  10. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

From what I am hearing, OwN is more important than Cast: Cauterize.

- Cast: Cauterize
    + Flamethrower
    _____

Lets also discussion his first upgrade path.

Magical Bomb: 1/2/3

Since bombs got touched up, this has become less useful on him.

Would it be adverse to suggest Magical Acolyte / Magic Beam / Magical Bomb 3

For his upgrades?

Any more thoughts, combos, ect... ?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
    Leadrz likes this.
  11. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

I like Magic Beam on him. Not sure how much UD is going to be able to make use of Magical Acolyte off of its own champs. I suppose it procs off of enemy champs too though.

12. Scarebear

Many kaiser bones litter the depths of the SP map (mine included).

I think magic bomb (maybe not lvl 3, m-bomb def debuff is reason enough to run it) should be moved to base.

Path 1 :
    Flamethrower
    Magic Beam
    Swap

Path 2 :
    Magic Aura
    Hex
    Flame Nova

Gives him a fire build, a def debuff build and a couple wildcard abilities.

Edit: When I made a coffee I realised how annoying he could be with magic aura and tinder box. Maybe magic nova instead.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  13. Leadrz

Leadrz I need me some PIE!

I like cauterize.

SPiEkY likes this.
  14. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

One more day of discussion! It looks like Balefire Knight is up next!

Leadrz likes this.
  15. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

It's really sad that a huge number of players who play UD don't actually care about UD like we do mostly cause its OP unlike other factions more people play cause they really into that faction
    I really thing they should make changes of teleport to reckless teleport 1 or 2 also if possible have flamethrower or relocate opponent on his bas to make quick turnaround since they need that
    In any case i really hope that the mid-term gives a goblin champion then we can revitalise BROOTS!

16. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Final hour. Place your bets people.

Rotation will be set.
    • Highest Vote becomes new Discussion
    • 2nd, and 3rd place get put on next weeks poll
    • 4th gets swapped out for another possibility. Might revisit later.

Leadrz likes this.
  17. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Final Results:

• Mixed emotions over Cast: Cauterize.
    • Players want Flamethrower back. Possibly Magicbeam.
    • Scarebear made a lovely suggestion. Here!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    Leadrz likes this.
  18. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I think his having DMG is interfering with his build. I am looking at throwing out the damage, using Magic Beam instead. This compliments the fact that both Cast: Cauterize and Hex also don't require damage.

IMAGIRL, Leadrz and Sirius like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.