Treefolk Suggestions Redux (WIP)

Discussion in 'K'Thir Forest' started by Gorebucket, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

The tree theme has endured some sizable nerfs very recently and the pending changes to the faction bonus and abilities that give proximity boosts almost ensure that the theme will be one of those that need revision in the near future. I think that now, while the theme is out of the spotlight, is the time to make suggestions regarding how to keep the theme fun, viable, and balanced.

I am operating on the following assumptions, as they seem increasingly likely:

Boost Abilities:

Boost: X - Global, ? HP for stated X (Nora: ???)
    Commander - AE5, DAM 2 for all friendlies (Nora: 8)
    Commander: X - AE5, DAM 2 for the stated X (Nora: 5)
    Defender - AE5, DEF 2 for all friendlies (Nora: 8)
    Defender: X - AE5, DEF 2 for the stated X (Nora: 5)

KF Faction Bonus:

Full Faction: When deployed, friendly champions gain 1 AP for every 2 opposing champions in play (to a maximum of 4). Friendly champions can store an additional 1 AP.

Split Bonus: When deployed, friendly champions gain 1 AP for every 3 opposing champions in play (to a maximum of 4).

Font Bonus: Mobility for 3 turns on deploy, and at the beginning of each turn.

Furthermore, I will be using the following as rough guidelines:
    • Big lumbering treefolk with long ranged attacks or abilities and Take Root
    • Big slow (but not lumbering) treefolk with proximity boosts and Take Root
    • Smaller, faster treefolk that are mostly free from impairment and do NOT have Take Root
    • Champs should be limited to a reasonable number of roles
    • Roles that are removed from one champ can be incorporated onto another
    • Whenever possible, champs should be worth considering outside the theme
    • Find a build that seems "right" then try to find out if the cost is within tolerance
    With these guidelines, you can expect champs like Launcher and Lifegiver to be lumbering, slow fatties like Patriarch, Defender, and K'thun to be the ones that boost stats, and the rest to be relatively normal champions - viable by themselves, but better with a fat daddy to increase their performance. There will be exceptions of course (Oakthumper is clearly a beater, not a buffer) but the concept should be clear enough.

Also, some things that might not be immediately apparent at first glance:
    • I am suggesting the removal of Nature's Balance as an ability. It is costly to the champ that bears it and more treefolk don't have Vulnerability fire than do. Leastways, the ones that do either have extra high HP or are highly disposable. Let the vulnerability be what it is supposed to be... just don't slap it on everything for the sake of 'flavor'.
    • A Greenhouse change will be included to further scale down the stat boosting, hence the slight damage increases on some of the champ suggestions. Just don't have it fleshed out yet.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
    Gnomes likes this.
  2. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

Proximity Boosting Trees:

Patriarch Damage 8, Speed 5, Range 1-2, Defense 2, Health 50 (Treefolk, Plant, Druid)

Attack Magical
    Shroud
    Take Root
    Vulnerability Fire
    Shambling – After moving 3 spaces, this champion gains Lumbering until the end of the turn.

Upgrade #1: Commander: Plant (5), Commander (8)
    Upgrade #2: Plant Regeneration 1 (2), Plant Regeneration 2 (4), Plant Regeneration 3 (6)

This build means that Patriarch can continue to Shroud and (to a lesser extent than previously) boost his allies. The choice of the slightly more expensive, non-race restricted Commander means that he can be used outside the theme as well.

Defender Damage 10, Speed 5, Range 1-2, Defense 3, Health 60 (Treefolk, Plant, Brute)

Attack Physical
    Entangle
    Take Root
    Vulnerability Fire
    Shambling – After moving 3 spaces, this champion gains Lumbering until the end of the turn.

Upgrade #1: Defender: Plant (5), Defender (8)
    Upgrade #2: Shrine Defender (5), Aid Defense (7)

Defender is built similar to the Patriarch, with slightly beefier stats, a pseudo-ranged attack, and boosting Defense rather than Damage. With the Shrine Defender upgrade and Shambling, he can cap a font within 5 spaces of the shrine deployment zone (as many of the suggested revisions are). Again, you can use defender in any battlegroup for an additional 3 nora.

Summoning Trees:

K’thun the Ancient Damage 9, Speed 5, Range 1-3, Defense 2, Health 54 (Treefolk, Plant, Druid)

Attack Magical
    Biogenesis
    Gift of Ironwood
    Vulnerability Fire

Upgrade #1: Forest Front (4), ___________(X), Shroud (8)
    Upgrade #2: Plant Regeneration 1 (2), Plant Regeneration 2 (4), Plant Regeneration 3 (6)

Healing Trees:

Willowind Damage 8, Speed 6, Range 1-3, Defense 2, Health 48 (Plant, Treefolk, Druid)
    Primary Role(s): Anti-lumbering+++ Magical Damage++ / Auxiliary Role(s): Healing+

Attack Magical
    Nature’s Connections
    Featherweight - Target champion ignores the effects of Lumbering until the end of the turn (AP2, CD 1)

Upgrade #1: __________(X), __________(X), __________(X)
    Upgrade #2: __________(X), __________(X), __________(X)

Note that Featherweight only lasts the turn it was cast. A single Willowind can mobilize only one lumbering champ per turn at the cost of 2 AP. If she is distracted, incapacitated, or dies, no more 'free' anti-lumbering.

Lifegiver Damage 6, Speed 5, Range 4-6, Defense 2, Health 55 (Treefolk, Plant, Druid)
    Primary Role(s): Healing+++ Cleansing++ / Auxiliary Role(s): Magic Damage+

Attack Magical
    Take Root
    Lumbering
    Vulnerability Fire

Upgrade #1: Transfer Life 1 (2), Transfer Life 2 (6)
    Upgrade #2: Purified (5), Cleanse (7), Cleansing Aura (8)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
    Gnomes and Tweek516 like this.
  3. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

Control Trees:

Dryad Damage 9, Speed 6, Range 2-4, Defense 0, Health 45 (Plant, Treefolk, Elf, Shaman)
    Primary Role(s): Psychic Damage++++ / Auxiliary Role(s): Champ Control++

Attack Psychic
    Charm 3
    Confuse

Upgrade #1: Encouraged (4), Surge Plant (5), Domain Vegetation (6)
    Upgrade #2: _________(X), ________(X), _____________ (X)

Narrowed her role to just offense and control.
    Willowind and Lifegiver will perform the healing duties.

Tanglefoot Damage 6, Speed 6, Range 1-3, Defense 2, Health 45 (Plant, Treefolk, Rogue)
    Primary Role(s): Champ Control++++ / Auxiliary Role(s): Shatter++

Attack Physical
    Camouflage
    Entangling Attack

Upgrade #1: Shatter (6), Snatch (8), Pilfer (10)
    Upgrade #2: Hidden Vegetation (3), Stealth (8), Shadowstrike (12)

Adjustment from awkward glass cannon to sneaky champ control.

Beatstick Trees:
    Oakthumper: No Change
    Wood Elemental: No Change
    Grappler: Remove manual +16 nora modifier
    Launcher: Remove manual +6 nora modifier. +1 speed with associated cost.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
    Gnomes and Tweek516 like this.
  4. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

Ok. Feel free to post your own ideas or comment on what is already up.

This is a work in progress, likely to take awhile...

5. Javier Romero

Javier Romero The King of Potatoes

Vinetouch Pedestal
    will be great adding : preordained

this small change will make deevote of de'lim really fun to play

6. Oldmaster

Oldmaster I need me some PIE!

You're a cool guy, Gorebucket. It's fun to see a player so devoted to a theme, especially one with a turbulent history.

DarkJello likes this.
  7. Gnomes

Gnomes Forum Royalty

What do you mean with removal manual +16 Nora modifier

Also we need a form of detection also spikewood abomination needs buff

Also keep multi attack on tanglefoot but maybe only lvl 1 or 2

Do you want to remove take root?

After playing a bit more, i think that willow wind is also a bit too expensive for what it brings, i always see myself putting patriarch out instead bc shroud :D

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  8. Elves Rule

Elves Rule I need me some PIE!

On tanglefoot, instead of escape, include the option for shadowstrike.