Why is arrow eater cheaper than elusive?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by claydude5, Feb 14, 2015.

1. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

To expand on @Shimaru's example. Back when I first started, when Shattered Peaks was the newest expansion, we had two similar equips. Shield of Darkness, which reduced the damage from the first successful attack to zero, and Granite Bracers, which caused the first successful attack to miss.

Shield of Darkness worked with Barbarian Commander because it would reduce the damage to zero, but still trigger Enrage giving you additional damage next turn.
    Granite Bracers worked with Ranger because Ranger had Riposte, which ensured you would counter attack the first melee attack every round.

2. Morfeas

Morfeas I need me some PIE!

Didn't read thread, agree with Eater should cost more than Elusive.

3. polltroy

polltroy I need me some PIE!

Seems most agree eater should be more expensive than ellusive, but in reality its the opposite. Why is it like this? Its called the "kf effect" and is a way devs have prenerfed kf champs to counter the low cost due to they dont dare to give them normal speed. So they give kf heavy abilities a bit higjer cost than normal, thus countering the kf faction bonus.

4. Ujelly

Ujelly I need me some PIE!

You can freely disengage with charm notfear

5. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

While Elusive has more direct counters, a lot more things will apply their on success effects on Arrow Eater.

The DMG bonus of Arrow Eater is superfluous and shouldn't really be a factor in the costing.

The vast majority of the time, the 2 abilities will function almost identically: i.e. your opponent does not attack them with ranged. Is Arrow Eater 1 or 2 nora better than Elusive? Probably, but as I said, it's not really going to make a real difference most of the time.

~

As for consolidation, I tend to agree that this is a potential candidate for consolidation. While there are interesting considerations with Arrow Eater, I feel that Elusive is the ability that is more in-line with PoxNora's gameplay of counters.

Additionally, if we consider that the game has slowly shifted away from attack abilities using on success to trigger effects to on damage, it further undermines the validity of the Arrow Eater construct.

Of course, the lore/thematic reason for the separation does present a problem.

Nea, vucharms and Thbigchief like this.
  6. vucharms

vucharms New Member

Do ranged Loss of Life attacks trigger arrow eater??? Someone please tell me.

7. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Loss of Life bypasses Arrow Eater.

Nea and vucharms like this.
  8. Nea

Nea I need me some PIE!

You are factually incorrect, again, someone already pointed out why earlier. Repeating your delusions doesn't make it any less false, and nobody on these forums is insane enough to pick up that silly term from you.

9. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- I've been answering these types of questions since the beginning of my understanding of the ability and elusive... It is not obvious and it is not clean. Knowing a thing doesn't make it user friendly... the burden of knowledge on arrow-eater vs elusive or even singularly is too much. Just clean it up "Targetted damage from a champion from above range 1 is impossible scrub!" jk but something

10. Nea

Nea I need me some PIE!

The burden of explanation isn't on Arrow Eater though - it is on Loss of Life.

Explaining that a thing prevents damage from range should be pretty easy.

Explaining that there is something in the game that works exactly like damage, but due to some metaphysical sheningans is not considered damage is far from intuitive.

Sealer0 and SPiEkY like this.
  11. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Yep, whether or not we consolidate Elusive and Arrow Eater, Loss of Life will continue to be a mystery :D

12. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- I'm just waiting for healing "attacks" ... Gain of life... mind=blown

13. Nea

Nea I need me some PIE!

There already is "gain max HP" which acts as healing but isn't healing...

https://poxbase.com/ability/671

14. Strings

Strings Devotee of the Blood Owl

Like the buffer the new KF fairy gives?

15. Nea

Nea I need me some PIE!

No D:

Buffer is it's own thing, gain max HP is what happens on Leech Vitality or when you deploy a banner.

16. narvoxx

narvoxx I need me some PIE!

Damage causes loss of life, loss of life is just loss of life, attack: loss of life is skipping the damage part

soulmilk likes this.
  17. Nea

Nea I need me some PIE!

If that was true, then relics, which are immune to loss of life, would be indestructible.

It's more like there is a mechanism of, to use IT terms, decrementing hit points, and that damage, loss of life and loss of max HP are different ways of causing that.

18. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

I hate LoL so much that I brought myself to know everything about it. Since the first day it appeared in Pox as a mechanic I shouted to the 4 winds begging to make alternative solutions to counter Impervious and other stuff... But now FW champions have to suck so that LoL isn't OP.

Sealer0 and claydude5 like this.
  19. narvoxx

narvoxx I need me some PIE!

Hm I never thought about that. But I think that exception works like this: Attack: Loss of Life has invalid target against shrines and relics, but the are not immune to it persé. I would think it is only invalid target and a quirck, since shrines can lose life (see Nefari Torch, Scorn, Scornful, Scrying etc), but I couldn't find anything that causes direct Loss of Life to relics

20. vucharms

vucharms New Member

I always thought that Loss of Life was not damage but rather saw it as a form of essence drain. But nevertheless, I loved LoL because it ignored defense and penalty stat modifiers.