Ranked is unfair

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Willow, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Sealer0

Sealer0 I need me some PIE!

There was a bit of talk about making a more comprehensive series of tutorials, which would teach the players some concepts/techniques used during competitive matches. Dmr has already made some videoes showing the basics. I think we should link those somewhere on the site, and make more of them.

2. Goatmanji

Goatmanji I need me some PIE!

Perhaps a training room (not to be confused with Training matches!) would be in order. High-level or high-ranking players could earn rewards by entering a game and actually teaching during play with a new player rather than just by crushing them.

3. Atherhog

Atherhog I need me some PIE!

But you could still crush them as well... right?

4. Sealer0

Sealer0 I need me some PIE!

We had that, but because of low playerbase noone was in there so it was consolidated.

5. Goatmanji

Goatmanji I need me some PIE!

Ah well, it always comes back to that, doesn't it?

6. Willow

Willow I need me some PIE!

moles has turned into such a douchebag after he got green! fyi where is this "growth" in playerbase fat moles keeps bragging about!? its 6 pm and theres 15 people in ranked lobby and 3/4 of them arent in que

7. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

6 pm where you are.

8. Willow

Willow I need me some PIE!

europe accounts for more than half of the pox pop so shut up yank!

9. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

[citation needed]

JellyBerry, DarkJello and Baskitkase like this.
  10. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Brue, agreed, but you shoulda put it in a spoiler.

SPiEkY likes this.
  11. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

While its true that Pox has a significant international presence, personal experience leads me to believe this isnt even close to true. The evening for me (EST) usually has 180ish people online swinging up to over 200 on the weekends. If I log on early in the am towards noon (afternoon to evening in england) there is usually about 100 people online at the most.

JellyBerry, Sealer0 and SPiEkY like this.
  12. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

Lanfear: "Eh? I think you know what i mean. Win fast if you want. Be a **** if you want. Drag it out if you want. But if you want people playing the game for any length of time, ask and offer advice to crap players afterwards. It.....eases the crush to know they maybe learned something versus total annihilation and not being sure why it happened. And this obviously doesn't go for everyone. Someone from rare league might not want your help or your friendly quit, but that doesn't mean everyone will be like that and the offer to help hurts no one and helps the game. There are also constructive ways to offer advise and there are the "L2P noob" advise. We all know what i mean, but troll if u want."

(Emphasis mine).

Your post is very emotional. And it appears you grossly misunderstood Lanfear, at least based on the words you typed. Gots to comprehend first, otherwise you are just striking out blindly.

I "liked" his post because the advice was solid.

13. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

[​IMG]

14. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

And nobody takes you serious anymore.

Au revoir.

15. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I got annoyed with people who dismiss opinions by insinuating that they are trolling. Its the cheapest way to undermine a persons credibility.

Perhaps I misread. Perhaps I didn't. I don't like you an vice versa. You often like posts of people who call me out. Hence the reference.

I could read all those pretty colours, but than again I could not.

16. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

1) There is plenty of trolling on the internetz. I am guilty. You have been too, every once and again.

2) Lanfear standing up for himself is good. But I "liked" his post because of the positive advice and cool beans attitude.

3) The pretty colors make it easier for some to focus. I presume you understand, but others are not quite so mentally and intellectually agile.

17. JoshBot

JoshBot New Member

I don't know how you guys are looking from an accounting perspective, but advertising will be a huge way to increase general awareness of your product still existing. Just look at Wildstar and how big of a splash it made (before everyone played it and the sheen wore off), and if crappy iPhone games can get huge playerbases from spamming ads at people, then you could, too! PAX South was great from that perspective, since it reminded me the game was still around. So here I am still, weeks later, playing daily quests when I can and slowly assembling a deck.

For what it's worth, I haven't touched ranked because I'm still getting my feet. The tutorial wanted me to play a ranked game and I might have for the gold reward but can't remember. I get wrecked often enough in Quick Match, after all.

Also: Have you been seeking out any designers for UI improvements? The game just has an old feel to it that will take years to resculpt, probably.

Sealer0 likes this.
  18. Lanfear

Lanfear Well-Known Member

Since reading comprehension doesn't seem to be in large supply here, i'll say it again. I wasn't being aggressive at all, and it honestly seems like you just skimmed what i wrote, picked out the sentence "Be a **** if you want" and "Troll if you want" and took offense. So i will go over what i meant.
    With the low player base, ranked is not effectively working. People are playing people way out of their league with EXTREME FREQUENCY, and because of this new player retention is low. The only option we have AS PLAYERS to help this is to be helpful or at least not hostile. The loss does not matter. They will lose. They are new and you are not. What happens during and after is important, but only if you care about player retention.

No it is not your job to babysit people, but you can still be tactful and helpful if you choose. This more than anything right now will go a long way to keeping players. "Hi, i just played you in the last game. Would you be interested in some advise really quick?" Then on to the next match. It doesn't have to be a 2 page report for them to read. It could be as short as one sentence, or you could carry on a conversation if so inclined. You guys want to make posts about how awesum players were in the past and how much the game as declined, well this is a way to do YOUR part to help it get back there.

As to your responses burn. I have nothing against you, and generally i like things you post. I wasn't attacking you, you just didn't read what i posted and attacked me. In my first response i merely pointed out that we weren't talking about the same thing. You were talking about winning in various ways, and i merely said that it was about being helpful and not the winning. So NO i was not disagreeing with you, as we weren't even talking about the same thing. And therefore was not calling you a troll because i disagreed with you. I added the comment about u possibly trolling in the next post because, hey its the internet and it doesn't seem like people appreciate being nice to others here. It was maybe a small barb i shouldn't have added.

So take all that as you will. Its from a jaded point of view of someone who has tried and failed to get 4 friends to play the game, and failed mostly because of peoples hostile personalities and the failures of the matching system. Also to be fair, a few had issues with the accessibility of the game, but that has since become leagues better.

Also, Has is t-shirt am walrus boots.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
    DarkJello and charlieriot like this.
  19. Anotherblackman

Anotherblackman I need me some PIE!

trust me, you are a special kind of ****** to like the average burnpyro post.

20. Anotherblackman

Anotherblackman I need me some PIE!

and will still whoop yo ass.

SPiEkY likes this.