What Pox needs is consolidation: easy to grasp and consistent game mechanics.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BurnPyro, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Molosse

Molosse I need me some PIE!

Man I have to say, though the KB chart is DAMN usefull, it's a fan-made forum chart as opposed to an official one, I'd just like to see something that maps out the direction a champion's going to get KB'd. The same for manic/drag.

2. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Drag is also available, the KB chart is 100% accurate and also applies to Manic. But yeah, improved tooltips would trump both of those.

3. Molosse

Molosse I need me some PIE!

Oh I completely understand it's accurate. It is however located on the forums and without access to said forums determining any of those interactions becomes a trial and error case, which I would argue can indeed put a player off before they finally figure out exactly what to do.
    But yeah in-game tooltips man. The dream.

4. Lanfear

Lanfear Well-Known Member

Agreed. I actually thought the revamp was supposed to address a lot of this, but it didn't seem to. No real consolidation, or explanations on mechanics, or fixes. With the task to be undertaken (assuming its not even near complete), i'm still patient. Not really sure its headed in this direction tho, and it probably should be.

5. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

The revamp largely focused on reducing the number of abilities on champions and applying a stricter cost formula. It did remove a good number of abilities as well.

With Ronin, we further did consolidation of abilities with many one-offs being replaced by a similar, more general version of the abilities. Many similar abilities were also consolidated in terms of mechanics/functionality - for example, all the various implementations of "<Terrain> Front" and the AP/CD costs of psuedo-ranged. Along with this many abilities have had their nora costs standardized better. Of course most of these changes tend to have low impact/footprints individually, and are hard to see on a game-to-game basis. Other consolidations/reworks such as the Commander/Defender stuff are planned, but haven't quite made it to live yet. So there's been a lot of consolidation, actually, at least from a work completed perspective internally, tho it is of course a large and ongoing task.

Stuff like ensuring that all Pull/KB mechanics work the same are quite a bit more time intensive, and historically, some of these inconsistencies were introduced to fix bugs, but only apply in specific scenarios, rather than on the game level.

Capricis likes this.
  6. Strings

Strings Devotee of the Blood Owl

I think the "general" changes are the best ones that have come from DOG taking over. There is sooooo much to wade through, but the devs are making some progress.

Abilities might need to be simplified further even if it means "nerfs" (like pull etc. becoming "moves X spaces in a straight line" rather than the Knight like movement it has right now) and race based abilities (as I think Sok has already said) needs to be merged with the race rather than having extra abilities etc., but we're on the right track.

7. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

It's only knight-like if in the middle of calculation it connects with one of the three dominant axes on the drag chart!

SPiEkY likes this.
  8. Lanfear

Lanfear Well-Known Member

I guess i was just expecting a lot more of the abilities to get the axe, and i felt like some new ones were made. Instead of just ditching Nokando, and giving the unit block and dodge, they got a cool new ability. It just seemed like that's what should be avoided at this time. Just an example. As i also said tho, i know its a huge job and i'm willing to be patient. 1000's of abilities don't clean up over night, but i do feel that knocking the list of abilities down by 30-40% by the time you are almost done might help. Would still leave enough to give stuff flavor and to be complex-ish, while still not taking 3 years for a new player to acclimate to all the abilities.

Keep up the good work!